Guest viewing is limited

TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Gladwrap - not available in the UK but kind friends sent me some. Didn't need it for knee #1 but did for knee #2. But it was extremely uncomfortable when wrapped all round the the leg since my leg is rather podgy. But I found that I could just cut a square and it would stick over the affected area and stay there!

As for the issue of wound or skin infection, a well healed wound won't be at risk and neither will healthy skin. It can tolerate a few hours of sweating. I don't think it's a problem.
 
Went to PT but it was only for an evaluation to see where I am. Today I was 90/ -1 without any warm up. She figured I would be further along but I explained how I was sick 4 days last week and did just about nothing. She did take all the strips off and my actual scar looks awesome, apparently the scabs are from the staples. We think when I did my full bend accidentally on day one that the staples tore the skin because there is no other explanation for it.
I go back Thursday and will get a full workout, massage and maybe some heat too. I'm really looking forward to it.
[Bonesmart.org] Blendab1 meets her new knee


Here's a picture of the weird scabs to the left of my perfect incision. I wish they would go away so I can start oiling the dry skin already!!


Brenda
 
Brenda,

Been following your recovery since your surgery was shortly after mine. If you have been cleared to soak the knee, I found a warm bath with dead sea salts helped with the muscle aches and made my incision feel softer.

Paul
 
I run hot massage pulse over my knee, feels good. I will post my latest knee on my post on a sec.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I tried the plastic wrap for about 30 mins. I was hoping it would de-sensitize the incision. I thought "gee that would be awesome". I was concerned that it would create a warm moist environment so i did not wrap it too tightly thinking that maybe a small amount of air flow would make it okay. I removed it because moisture was beginning to form. I waited too long for this TKR & I chose to not take any chances. Stay safe you guys....we may have to grin & bear it.
 
Jfiori54 I have been doing a lot of grinning and bearing. I have to focus on its only been 5 weeks and by the time I'm 8 weeks out, I'll be better than now. We've all got this and we will be awesome some day in the future :)


Brenda
 
Brenda - I'm at eight weeks now and it really is better than it was at five, better than it was at seven even. The progress feels truly glacial but it is moving along. Hope you have a wonderful day today!
 
Jfiori54 I have been doing a lot of grinning and bearing. I have to focus on its only been 5 weeks and by the time I'm 8 weeks out, I'll be better than now.
Five weeks, in normal time period, seems like a long enough time. However, in TKR time, you have just left the "Dark Days of Recovery" and you are slowly moving forward.

It really does try your patience----you have to reach deep down inside of yourself and find patience that you did not know that you have.
We've all got this and we will be awesome some day in the future :)
That is it !!!! It is so very true!!! When you are fully recovered, you will be amazed at how great you feel!

When you feel down and think that things are moving to slowly, please read and re-read this:
It's now a little over a year since my surgery, and I wanted to come back to offer encouragement to those just beginning the process.

One year later, I need someone to remind me I had knee surgery; I simply don't think about it any longer. The scars have faded, and the memories have too. This is not a easy surgery, but the ultimate result Is life changing.

For those of you just beginning the recovery phase, don't be discouraged. It gets better--a lot better, and before you know it, the pain will be gone, and you will be able to return to an active life.

I strongly encourage those who can, to go the bilateral route. The recovery is not that more difficult, and once you're done, you will never have to go through it again.

Thank you all, for your help and encouragement. I hope I was able, in a small way, to return the favor.
 
You are doing terrific Brenda!! Scar looks good - did you ask about the lotion? I thought you just couldn't mess with an open incision, the scabs from the staples shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think?
 
My therapist told me not to put anything on the incision until all scabs are gone. You can go up to it but not on it. It will happen soon, Brenda. Every PT day, she tells me my incision looks even better each time she I see her.
 
Terrific ...now that you can drive you will see everything else continue to improve.....attitude makes a bid difference and the freedom to get up and go is liberating.....now would everyone cut it out with the weight loss please..I am starting to fill out my middle wardrobe and do not want to graduate to the big boy clothes again......Congratulatioms
Brenda

Vinny I have hit 31pounds lol


20/01/2015
 
Cold @Homeport stone cold......but I suppose I only have myself and donuts and french fries(chips to you)to blame ....poor me.....

Vinny
 
I am holding at 22 pounds loss, even though I am eating regular again. My stomach must have decreased in size, I can
Only eat smaller portions.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am the same its noticeable how close now my wifes portions and mine are.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Cold @Homeport stone cold......but I suppose I only have myself and donuts and french fries(chips to you)to blame ....poor me.....

Vinny
Yes you defiantly eat less we can only see this as a positive of we were weightier then we should be like I was for me this and not having the arthritic pain are the bonus so far


20/01/2015
 
I am holding at 22 pounds loss, even though I am eating regular again. My stomach must have decreased in size, I can
Only eat smaller portions.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
It was snowy and icy here when I had my surgery so we didn't go out other than doc/PT appointments for a few weeks, when we first went out to a restaurant I couldn't come close to finishing the portion they offered up! I'm down eleven pounds so far so yay for TKR! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom