TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm holding my loss of 20 pounds so far, my appetite is back but I can only eat smaller portions. I went out to a Resturant the other day (Chinese food) and just ate about 1/4 of my meal. I also had a beer for the first time in 5 weeks and it was good!
Today is my first scheduled PT workout and I can't wait as I feel my knee is stiffening up more and more even with my stretches that I do. I'll report later on what I experienced.


Brenda
 
I went to PT yesterday dreading what they were going to make me do but I didn't need to. Yesterday was just massage and gentle stretching followed by the stimulation machine while iced. My knee feels so much better. It's hard to believe that just massaging and stimulation could improve the tightness I had. I was told to use a rolling pin over the areas around my knee to help keep it loose, and so far so good. She also wants me to work on tightening my quads by placing a rolled towel under the knee and squeezing just the quad while pushing down as apparently I was using my gluts :) I can only do heel slides and leg raises so far.
So, I was apprehensive for nothing. I can't wait till my next appointment next Thursday.


Brenda
 
Do you mean just using a normal rolling pin Brenda? Quite interested in trying this lol. Anything to lose the tightness! Is there any areas you should avoid?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've heard a lot about the rolling pin..I use an old baseball or tennis ball..but be warned:when using a tennis ball make sure it is a new one and or use a cloth between your skin and the ball..used one of my pups old balls right on the skin and about 10 min later had a nice rash! Guess I was allergic to whatever was on the old ball!! Lesson learned!!!
 
I'm so glad you had a good pt experience, Brenda! Just keep the lines of communication open with your therapists so you're all on the same page.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cherub, yes a rolling pin!! Avoid the scar but do all the areas around it, including behind the knee and your shin. It's working so far, I do it whenever I feel tight.
Instead of a regular rolling pin, I'm using this.
[Bonesmart.org] Blendab1 meets her new knee



Brenda
 
Thank you Brenda :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just tried out the rolling pin and it definitely loosened up my knee :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Brenda, good luck Monday with your return to work. That's another giant step in your recovery'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck going back to work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you all, I am sitting here dreading it and Gru is being cranky for the first time in a while. I'm going to ice him down and knit while I watch something on TV. I'll be sure to post tomorrow when I get home, if I'm not too exhausted.

Oh, and yesterday after a good soak in the shower one if the dissolvable stitches started to poke through my scar. I'm not touching it, I'll save it for the OS office on Thursday. At least know I know why that part of the scar hurt differently then the rest.



Brenda
 
Good luck tomorrow, be sure to let coworkers help you out now and then.
 
We both will need luck tomorrow. I only have a half day and then I see my OS for my six week. I am worried about all this catching and noise my operative knee is making. Pray it's nothing serious, last thing I need is to be told I need a revision because it's to loose.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am awake and nervous on what to expect when I get to work, I'm going to miss being stress free. I will be getting up and walking around every half hour if not sooner. It's only 4 hours, I've got this.

@wberry I'm sure your knee is fine and I'm praying for your sake that it is. My knee makes some noise once in a while but supposedly its normal from what I've read. I look forward to your report later.

Oh yeah, today I'm 6 weeks post-op and currently 1/95 per my last measurement, I would love to have better numbers but slow and steady wins the race :). At least I am sleeping through the night and that is a big accomplishment. I have my 6 week with the OS this Thursday and look forward to his report.


Brenda
 
Good luck with working. Hope you are still slow and steady
 
Best of luck, Brenda! My friends at work were very helpful in reminding me to get up and move around but I'm going to have to set an alarm or something. I get so engrossed in my work, I forget!

You'll do great, I'm sure of it!
 
So thankful to be home. I got up quite a few times in the four hours I was there and had ice on the knee a lot! About 11:30! My knee got grumpy and my hip did too, so I guess my body doesn't like the "normal" sitting style as it's better now that I'm home and elevated. Praying tomorrow is a better day as I have to go to the RMV to get my new to me car officially registered.


Brenda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom