Guest viewing is limited

TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed more problems sleeping since going back to work - by the end of the day I'm wiped out so it makes no sense, it isn't even that my knee hurts more than normal, I just can't get comfortable. Ah well, this, too, shall pass. Sending vibes for a good nights sleep!

Your doc sounds like mine, more aggressive than most- all I can say is I don't regret my decision at all but it was his recommendation and MY decision. If your doc recommends that, that's all it is - his opinion, no one is going to make you do it, it's YOUR call.
 
@Celle THANK YOU! I did freak out a bit but I am at 95 and that's damn good considering I'm 45 days post op and working!! I think I'm emotional due to all I've done this week so tonight I'm taking a Vicodin instead of the Tramodol and I'm sure it will do the trick.


Brenda
 
@wberry, I had staples too, this was one of my internal stitches that didn't dissolve so it came out. Who knew!

Thank you all for the support and it wasn't my OS talking MUA it was the PA so I'm not going to stress till I see him!!


Brenda
 
Brenda -- I'll say it again -- I really cannot stand this "numbers game" that some PTs and surgeons play, threatening an MUA if you haven't hit some kind of goal. I'm sure it's necessary for some but I do NOT believe it's necessary for MOST. Grrrr...:hissy:

I can relate to you so much because I was supposed to go back to work at 6 weeks because that's all the sick time I had but I just wasn't ready. I also had a lot of swelling back then and honestly, the daily swelling didn't really ease up until the 9th or 10th week. At 12 weeks now, it's mostly gone but flares up once in a blue moon but not much.
My point is that except for the wayward stitches, your report sounds similar to mine when I was 6 weeks post-op. And my OS remarked, "you are exactly where you're supposed to be at 6 weeks." As impatient as I am, it didn't give me much comfort then... but it does now.

Sending ((HUGS)) across the miles....
 
Don't listen to them Brenda! My RTKR was March 2 and my flex has been pretty slow but just in the past week has taken off. I was at 111.5 on Monday and hoping for 115 tomorrow. Slow and steady is the course. Better days are coming!!
 
I love each and everyone of you!!! I'm drowsy and the leg is wrapped so off to bed I go! Sleep tight all.


Brenda
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the MUA, talk to your OS about it...but I do have to admit that my MUA worked wonders for me
There are some MUAs that are necessary, like yours, @Spencieca - you hadn't got to 90 degrees, I believe, and the MUA produced a good result. Then, there are others that are not necessary, but are done because either the surgeon or the patient (I think mistakenly) believes that there is a time limit, a mythical window of opportunity, within which a certain ROM must be achieved. In almost all of those cases, allowing more time would have produced the desired ROM, without the MUA.

I really cannot stand this "numbers game" that some PTs and surgeons play, threatening an MUA if you haven't hit some kind of goal. I'm sure it's necessary for some but I do NOT believe it's necessary for MOST.
I couldn't agree more! I have never had my ROM measured after my left TKR. No stress - and, actually, no PT either. I estimate my ROM to be somewhere between 125 and 130 and I can do everything I want with my knee.

Thank you all for the support and it wasn't my OS talking MUA it was the PA so I'm not going to stress till I see him!!
I really don't know about some of these PAs! I can't help wondering what sort of training they have, because some of them seem to give the wrong advice. @Blendab1 , you're not the first bonesmartie to be scared by inaccurate advice given by a PA. Wait for the more informed advice from your surgeon.
 
I'm sorry to hear about the stitch situation. As for the MUA I have my 6 wk appt today & if he mentions MUA I am going to try to be strong & tell him I would like to give it another week or two....we have to consent, right? It is just this week that the swelling has decreased significantly so I hope that without swelling I will gain better numbers. We need to believe this; the senior members & moderators on this site have been awesome & they know from experience. Another almost sleepless night hence I'm awake moaning & groaning. I have not had any pain med for 3 days & I am miserable. I'm in the recliner now hoping I can get comfortable. @blendab you are likely getting ready for work now. I hope today is better for you & the swelling subsides.
 
Good lord, Joanne, no pain meds?! I'm three weeks ahead of you and I still take tramadol morning and evening, my heart goes out to you, I hope you can get some pain relief.
 
Hi Brenda,
I have no idea what my ROM is now, but I know that I can do everything I need to do in daily life and that's more important than some silly number.
Returning to work was hard, but now that I've been back a month, the early morning pain and stiffness is much better.
It's just a matter of getting through one day at a time. Someone recently told me "Life is your PT now" and they were so right!
Best Wishes and hang in there.
Karen
 
Agreed, Karen! Between commuting and work, i am definitely getting my share of PT!
Will probably start going back to the gym soon also. I don't swim but I hear walking in the pool is very therapeutic.
 
Its great for toning as the resistance makes muscles work a wee bitty harder. I used to walk in sea to work on sports injuries.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Brenda,
I have no idea what my ROM is now, but I know that I can do everything I need to do in daily life and that's more important than some silly number.
Returning to work was hard, but now that I've been back a month, the early morning pain and stiffness is much better.
It's just a matter of getting through one day at a time. Someone recently told me "Life is your PT now" and they were so right!
Best Wishes and hang in there.
Karen
That's what I'm talking about!!

Two more weeks and my days will consist of walking to and on the beach, setting up our condo, water PT in the pool, riding my bike, and daily chores. Plenty of real life PT. :yay:
 
I have no idea what my ROM is now, but I know that I can do everything I need to do in daily life and that's more important than some silly number.
That is what it is all about.

Let the PT's obsess with the quantitative aspect of the ROM #'s---if you can do what you like and enjoy, what do the #'s mean, then? Nothing.

Be qualitative, not quantitative.
 
Hi Brenda i am 7 weeks post revision rtkr. I had 2 stitches pop through and one was stopping the wound closing completely but it was snipped and has now healed fine. The other was a weepy area in the middle. OS said it was another stitch popping through and just to keep it dry and put a plaster over it. I did that and it scabbed over and the scab fell off yesterday and its all healed now :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom