Bilateral TKR No Longer an April Fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really did a job on myself today. Going down two steps to my garage, I turned my ankle and fell. I felt some pain as my right knee flexed totally back to my thigh (ouch). Luckily my ROM is very good, so the pain was not extreme, but I sure gave myself a scare.

The side of my instep is tender as is the right underside of my knee, but when I think of how much worse it could have been, I'm very thankful.

It's a lesson for me to watch my step and to avoid overconfidence. Back to ice and rest for a bit.
 
:yikes: Oh that getting cocky can be dangerous. I remember last tkr I basically did an mwa (manipulation withOUT anesthetic) on myself coming down a step on the wrong foot. Luckily no fall but yikes!
Give the leg a little TLC.
 
It was a fall, unfortunately. I think I was trying to protect my knees and fell to the side, in the process getting an mwa (what a great term) on my right leg. Limping now, but it's because of the pain in my foot, luckily not the knee. I'm feeling pretty dumb--and sore--right now.
 
OMG @Wednesday, I am so sorry to hear of your fall. Did you let you OS know? Even though it sounds like you protected it, you want to make sure you did not do any damage. Better to be safe!
 
Thank you for your kind words. The knee is still feeling ok so I'm not too worried, but my foot is really hurting. I'm glad I still have my meds. I was lucky because it was only two steps. I don't want to even imagine how bad it could have been if it were a full flight.

I think I am a total klutz. It was a bad fall about ten years ago that destroyed my knees, and apparently I still haven't learned my lesson. I really need to be more careful. :sad:
 
Thank you, Lisa, for thinking of me. I hope you're doing well too. I really enjoyed following your thread.

I haven't been around for a while, and actually that's a good thing. It means my knees are no longer the focus of my world. So here's a a 4-month update.

All is well. Don't ask about my ROM because I don't think about it any more. I just know I can do everything I did before so that's good enough. Stairs? No problem. Long walks? Take one every morning. Actually the only reminders of my surgery are two scars and the one Tramadol I still take before bedtime or when I anticipate a very busy day. I also find that when I bend my knees in the morning, I can feel the stretch in the wound area.

For the past few days, my husband and I babysat for our four and two-year old grandsons. We went to the zoo and the playground, shopped in the toy store, and pretty much ran around the entire three days. These are all things I couldn't imagine myself doing only five months ago.

I'm sleeping very well (a little less well when the boys are here), and I even found myself on the floor and getting up by kneeling first.

So for all you newcomers to this surgery, hang in there. It gets better. I am so happy I had this surgery, and I would recommend bilateral to anyone who needs both knees done.

My best wishes to you all. I can't begin to tell you how much your advice and support helped me through the first part of recovery. You are all great.
 
Great update! It is important to read about such positive results as we all hope for that outcome!
 
[Bonesmart.org] No Longer an April Fool
update, @Wednesday! Got your life back, having fun with the grandkids, doing what you want when you want with a great pair of man made pain free knees!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
I'm now approaching six months post op after bilateral knee replacement, so I thought it was time for an update :) Here's where I stand today.

0 pain
0 medications (even dropped the Tylenol )

I have no clue what my ROM is, but it's really really good. I have total mobility, can take loooooong walks with my dogs, do housework:sad:, babysit for two active toddlers and a newborn, etc.--all of this without much effort.

I've lost about ten pounds since before my surgery, and although I was not very overweight, I know this is good for my knees. I still get tired sometimes, but this is more the result of too much time on the couch than an effect of the surgery.

I would rate my recovery at 95 to 100 percent, and it feels good.

So for those of you in the beginning or intermediate post-surgery phases, stay optimistic. Things will definitely get better. I remember not too fondly, those days when I totally regretted ever signing up for this surgery. I am so happy now. You will be too.

My best wishes to all of you for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.
 
Great report, wonderful to hear how well you are doing.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@Wednesday Thank you so much for documenting your journey. I'm still a bit out from my LTKR (11/11) and it is very helpful to read about such a positive experience. During the "waiting game", it is easy to start to obsess only about the challenges ahead and start to feel very anxious. Being able to read and reread about a journey such as yours (and with a BTKR to boot!) is nothing short of inspirational. I've bookmarked your site so I can reread it in moments of uncertainty. Wishing you years of good health!
 
Just noticed your post--wonderful to hear you're doing well.
 
@Wednesday How wonderful to hear you are back into a fun and active life again. That's what it's all about and it is so nice of you to let us know how you're doing. Your words will be a lot of comfort to those who are just beginning their journey or to our members who are having some challenges with their recovery. It helps so much to know that there is a great life out there with new knee joints.
 
It's now a little over a year since my surgery, and I wanted to come back to offer encouragement to those just beginning the process.

One year later, I need someone to remind me I had knee surgery; I simply don't think about it any longer. The scars have faded, and the memories have too. This is not a easy surgery, but the ultimate result Is life changing.

For those of you just beginning the recovery phase, don't be discouraged. It gets better--a lot better, and before you know it, the pain will be gone, and you will be able to return to an active life.

I strongly encourage those who can, to go the bilateral route. The recovery is not that more difficult, and once you're done, you will never have to go through it again.

Thank you all, for your help and encouragement. I hope I was able, in a small way, to return the favor.
 
Thanks for the one year update, wonderful to hear how well you are doing, and that you have your life back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom