PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

So, today I checked into the Wounded Warrior event that they are going to have at a neighboring resort at the end of February. They are looking for help with it, so I volunteered and am going to help with the Wounded Warriors and their family members that want to snowboard. I am so excited to be able to take part in this.
 
BJ that sounds wonderful, you will be perfect for the job.
Do take it easy though, and don't over do it. We are rooting for you.
Please post how the event went..take care...sheryl:flwrysmile:
 
BJ, we have been having awesome snow!!! I am so happy!!

And Benny is doing much better. He finished his four weeks in the cage . . .er kennel. It was hard for all of us. Then, he started perking up. He began running around again--he only has one speed--GO. I noticed that he was lifting his right leg and not fully weighting it. But, now, he runs and jumps and looks fine to us. we are so happy---it seemed so dismal the night he was paralyzed. I have been lifting him up and down on the bed and into my car---I am trying to discourage him from jumping--but it is hard, sometimes he is off the bed like a shot!! We are so relieved!!!
 
skigirl Yay, Kelly, I am glad to hear that Benny is doing so well. That is wonderful news for you and your sweet doggy. Give him a hug for me.

Enjoy your awesome snow too!!!
 
So, yesterday morning when we cliniced (went out and were taught) with our head snowboard instructor, I realized that my ability to get up off the snow from the sitting position has improved by leaps and bounds since January 2. (the first day that I taught snowboarding with my new knee). When we clinic he will demonstrate something and then we all practice that and meet on the side of the slope and sit there while he talks and we discuss what we have learned and then he demonstrates something else and we stand up and work on that. (lots of sitting and getting back up) In order to get up from sitting on the snow I pull my board as close to my butt as I can and shift my weight up and over my board and using abdominal strength I pull myself into a standing position. I have included some photos of girls sitting on the slope with their snowboards, so that you can picture how we must scoot as close as possible to that board and then lean forward and shift our weight forward and stand up. No easy feat for someone with a new knee. It feels amazing to be out there with the kids (the other instructors) and be doing this. :happydance: And to be able to spend the day out in God's glorious creation is soooo splendid, awesome, beyond compare. It just makes me giddy to be able to wind my way down the slopes making nicely worked turns and carving my way back to the lift. I LOVE IT!!!

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...uf7UOv-AYT49QS2lYD4BQ&ved=0CFMQ9QEwCw&dur=634 [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...uf7UOv-AYT49QS2lYD4BQ&ved=0CFAQ9QEwCg&dur=679
 
Oh, and teaching, what a great and wonderful thing to be able to share what we love with others and see them get it, and recognize that we never stop learning. So, yesterday morning after spending my morning on the snowboard the head of ski school asked me to switch to skis. Now I had a group ski lesson that was a challenge and was near impossible as they gave me a large group with such varied abilities. So I phoned the ski school and asked them to send someone out to help. I was so proud of myself for speaking up for myself instead of trying to power my way through this daunting task. They sent help and we were able to teach these students and have them enjoy themselves. But the best lesson was my last of the day. I had a 12yo who didn't think that he needed a ski lesson. Now as we rode the lift for the second time I was telling him about our morning clinic and being taught and he looked at me in amazement and said in a hushed voice, "You, have an instructor?" And I told him, "Oh yes, no matter how much we know we can always learn more." He was a wonderful student, he followed instruction to a T, he was interested and he was pleased with the improvement with each run we took. He is now confident that he can ski the run with his brother that he was afraid to do before our lesson. His mom will bring him again and request another lesson with me. I will look forward to teaching this student again. He was a blessing to me. This is another thing that I absolutely love.
 
Glad to hear Benny is doing better Skigirl.
And happy to BJ your are back on the slopes, you both take care...Sheryl:flwrysmile:
 
BJ---I am so happy that you are back on your snowboard!! Yes, I love to teach too, I have two ladies day groups of six each and it is fun to lead the six 67-72 ladies down the hill and through the bowls on the west side. We ski off groomed--they rock!!
 
BJ, a while since I've heard how you're doing. Glad to hear that things are going so well. Love that you are on the slopes, helping kids ski, and feeling so good. My progress is slower, but it is progress, that's what counts.
 
Juniper, you have the right attitude---Just enjoy what you have!! I try to put that into practice in my life. Your improvement has been slow, but steady and I think you will end up just fine. Kelly
 
juniper Yes, Jane, I agree with Kelly, we must enjoy what we have. Are you having another knee replacement? Your signature says RTKR January 23, 2012

I am still in a good bit of pain, but I am enjoying doing what I love. I do hurt more when I vacuum however than when I ski and snowboard. So, if I have to run the vacuum cleaner I most certainly may as well get out on the slopes too.
 
I have had a great week. Last Tuesday, I was skiing back to ski school on a green run===Chipmunk!!! I felt my skis go into a little hole and the next thing I knew---I was flat on the ground. Splat. I managed to land on my ski pole and bruise my rib!! Ouch. I hurt all the time!!!

Then today, my feet went out from under me in the parking lot and I landed on left thigh and left knee. I have bruises but no permanent damage!! I am staying home tomorrow to try to recover.

When I went to my exercise class tonight, I could hardly do anything---just legs. If I lie on the ground, it hurts. If I try to lift my left arm, it hurts, If I do sit ups, it hurts big time!!! But, I made myself stay for the hour!!! I can work on my butt for the next two weeks. Kelly
 
I am glad you are enjoying yourself and are okay,but i have to wonder what is up with me i hate snow and i always wonder why some go for holidays in snow give me sun.I cant wait till march Canary island here i come warm sun warm water to swim in,i must be a wimp.
 
BJ, its wonderful that you're back doing what you love. I'd like to think I can get up the hill in our Winter season, June-September, this year.

skigirl; Hope you recover quickly Kelly. I fell once and my ribs got bruised by my elbow as I fell straight onto it. Hate to tell you but it took at least a couple of weeks before I could breathe without it hurting. And three months before I was pain free.
 
Ouch Margaret!! I have to admit that it still hurts when I breathe---and I am far from being pain free. It is so easy to bruise that rib---I would hate to have a broken rib!!
 
skigirl Kelly, I must say that I have had bruised and cracked ribs, back in my Taekwondo sparring days and one is not really much worse than the other. It takes time, and breathing is painful. Laughing and coughing are pretty nasty, and sleeping was rough as I would wake up if I moved very much. Hang in there!!! I hope that you heal quickly and that the pain is not too bad to bear. (((air hug)))

One year I took a spill snowboarding and had the wind knocked out of me and couldn't breath. I was sooo relieved that I could breath that I didn't even realize until later that I had bruised my rib. Ski Patrol kept asking me if I was OK and where it hurt. Once I could breathe I just kept saying, "I can breathe!" It was weeks before I could bend down to fasten my snowboard on so I resorted to skiing for a while because I could not just sit around while everyone else was out having fun in the snow.

Margaret, Thanks! I hope that you get to ski when it is ski season too. Let us know how that goes.
 
RICBAK1 Richard, you are not a wimp. You just have different likes than we do. I love the sun and the warm water to swim in too. I hope that you have a lovely holiday in the Canary Islands when it gets warm.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom