TKR Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 Days post op: Everything in recovery still going the same. Still icing, elevating, and taking meds regularly. Sleeping as well as can be expected being awake every four hours for meds. Getting tired of taking it easy, but I know this is the way to go. So far I have experienced very little pain and want to continue this way. PT is uncomfortable but not unbearable. Every day I continue to make progress and move a little closer to living with a pain free knee.
 
Cathy, that sounds wonderful-so good to hear from you. Patience and persistence will pay off-keep doing what you're doing!! Hugs to you :friends:
 
Wow, you are a poster "child" for TKR!! Keep doing what you're doing! I am so pleased for you.:thumb:

As far as getting tired of taking it easy--that is understandable, especially when you are feeling pretty much low or no pain. But BEWARE and have self-control. I totally lost all control in the last few days and hurt like crazy--and I am 8 weeks out.
 
Well done Cathy so happy for you! Have you heard how Barb is going?
 
Hi Cathy, so glad you are clicking right along. That first shower by yourself is truly a piece of heaven. I stayed so long I was afraid I would run out of hot water.:flwrysmile:
 
Cathy,
Sounds like you are having a great recovery - I'm so glad! I think if the pain is under control it allows everything else to fall into place. And having a helpful husband doesn't hurt either :flwrysmile:

Do you find the pain is less at this point? Halfway through my second week at home I was stretching the meds out because things had calmed down considerably. My first week I depended on the oxycontin but by week two I was needing things less and less. Started to feel like I could watch something a bit more complicated than HGTV or Food network :groan:

Keep up the good work!
Heidi
 
11 Days post op and still going strong. Can't believe I am almost two weeks post op. Time sure flies when you are having fun--NOT!! Pretty much getting into a routine with the resting, icing, elevating and meds. Actually spent some time sitting on my back porch today and enjoyed that beautiful sunshine. OS refilled pain meds today--staying the same--one Percocet every four hours. It has been doing a great job staying ahead of the pain. Thursday will be two weeks post op and I think I am going to try to stretch meds from every four hours to every five and see how that does. Proceeding very cautiously don't want any unexpected surprises with this recovery. Finally starting to be able to focus again. Hard to explain but your brain just gets jumbled and it takes a while to get it working correcting again. Actually focused enough yesterday to watch two Hallmark movies. Haven't had any issues yet with my emotions being out of control yet but having a buddy to text and call has sure helped out. Barb (eastside85) and I have been texting and talking since our pre op days. Just really helps when you have an issue or a question and you know someone understands what you are talking about. My PT said I was doing great--reached 90 rom today and she said I was right on track. She is okay, doesn't push too much just encourages me. Get my staples out on Thursday and will be happy. Hopefully some of that tight feeling will go away. Fighting constipation again but if that is all I can complain about, I feel very lucky. Thanks for all the support--until later.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited
update, Cathy. Things seem to be progressing nicely for you. Following that mantra will do it almost every time. Slow and steady not only wins the race but makes it much more pleasant from beginning to end. I never had the blues, so you might be able to skip that part of recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited
 
I am so glad all is well. The first time I took a shower I have to admit I was in there too long but it felt so good. Then I took a nap for over a hour. You are on your way to recover. Make sure you elevate, ice, rest and do the pills. Please take care. Tashia
 
So glad you are recovering so well - long may it continue
:flwrysmile:
 
I'm so happy for you that you're having an uneventful recovery so far! Getting that first two or three weeks behind us is very encouraging. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Cathy, hope you are still sailing through this recovery thing. All of you are so encouraging, pray that mine goes as well as all of you that I am keeping up with!! Take care, and have a restful night!:sleep:
 
Good work Cathy everything is working like clockwork for you take care :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Sitting here waiting for my home care nurse. Supposed to get staples out today. Anxious to get another accomplishment behind me. Having a good day-finally a successful trip to the bathroom!! It does make all the difference in the world!! Trying to figure out what to eat or drink daily or whenever, to keep me from getting so constipated. Nothing seems to keep me moving. Any suggestions?
 
My GP told me to use Miralax. it is an osmotic that draws the moisture to the intestines and keeps the stool hydrated and soft. It does NOT make you go as it is not a stimulant, and it can be used long term with no Ill effects like laxatives would give.
he told me to stay away from bulking agents like Metamucil as the narcotic pain meds caused the intestines to delay transit, and the bulking agents would just make things worse. They would sit in intestines, dry out, and create a bigger more uncomfortable mass.

I used Miralax once a day, every day while I was on pain meds during recovery, and it was wonderful.
 
Thanks Toni!! Just finished drinking my first glass of orange juice mixed with miralax and plan on doing it every day. Hopefully, this will work.
 
Great!!! Now remember that if you already have a bit of 'hard stool' already in your lower colon, then nothing taken orally will soften that up. It will just have to be eliminated the hard way!! But once you start Miralax, the hard stool will not happen again! It keeps things nice and hydrated in the intestines so it doesn't end up as a hard mass in the lower colon.

Your recovery is coming along just fantastic!! I'll bet you are looking forward to getting those staples out. I sure felt better when mine were out!
 
Cathy, I just got caught up on your recovery thread. I am so happy you are doing so well! Except for the constipation of course....Toni, thanks for that hint. I am going to be trying the Miralax. Haven't had a prob yet, but I fear one is brewing on the horizon.
I am amazed at my mobility with the walker. Not that it doesn't hurt to walk, but it is amazing to me that I can get around, up and down, without help! Today I turned the corner on needing help to get up out of the recliner. I just pushed up on the arms and up I popped. I was very surprised, almost sat right back down again! That was my biggest challenge being here alone, the getting up from the recliner.
My first shower was on day 5 at home with my friend here, but I got in by myself and even stood up to wash all the soap off and just enjoy the water. My next shower day is tomorrow, and I am sure my daughter will insist on being here, but that is ok. I am letting her pamper me.
Love and hugs to you, and I know what you mean about the pain meds!! No real TV or movies yet for me. Just shows I sleep to or music!

:friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Cathy, sounds like you are doing very well. So glad you are, it's very encouraging. Take care and keep doing the work and you will have reached your recovery goal before you know it. Have a great weekend! :thumb:
 
10 Days post op: Everything in recovery still going the same. Still icing, elevating, and taking meds regularly. Sleeping as well as can be expected being awake every four hours for meds. Getting tired of taking it easy, but I know this is the way to go.
A very wise move on your part---you are still very early and in the dark days of recovery---taking it easy right now, while it is something that you do not want to do---will make things so much better for you!

Proceeding very cautiously don't want any unexpected surprises with this recovery
Superb! Sometimes, when we feel a little too "frisky", we do too much and push things too far too soon; WHAMMO!! More pain and swelling and setbacks.

It is tough to do, but by taking it easy and resting, icing, and elevating you are paving the way for an easier recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom