TKR Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful news! It gets better every day Cathy, and the biggest hurdle...the waiting....is OVER :) If you keep on top of the pain with your meds it really is quite manageable. Keep up with those simple PT exercises, slow and steady wins the race!
Woo hoo!

Heidi
 
Welcome to the other side Cathy! I am so pleased that the early days were ok and that your hospital staff were great.

Good for you for keeping ahead of the pain! I am 5 weeks today, and have just stopped my middle of the night alarm the last few nights (in lieu of sleep). So keep it up, as much as we all want to rush to the stage of recovery where we aren't so tied to medication and help from others, it will come all in due time. Take this time, and pamper your new addition. :heehee: Sleep often, stretch regularly and keep ice handy.

Hope today finds you well!
 
Cathy, it is so good to hear from you and that you are doing well!! It is wonderful news! :yay: It sounds like the whole hospital experience was a good one for you.
I see my OS for pre-op with him today and plan on getting my nails done too!! I have my grand-daughter Lacy with me today so we will be busy little bees and then I will pick the grandsons up after school. Last time on pick up duty for a while as I work tomorrow and Thursday.
Again, keep us posted and you are in my thoughts. xx

:friends:
 
Cathy, it's wonderful to hear from you. I was beginning to get worried, but sounds like you turned the corner, got rid of the nausea and are doing great. So proud that you've gotten that behind you, keep up the good work. Hugs!
 
Cathy, you have been in my thoughts, well done, and congratulations:flwrysmile: on your knee, so sorry your birthday wasn't the best of days, but enjoy those chocolates now..
I'm counting down my days now, and still extremely nervous.:yikes:
All the best
Lee:puppysmooze:
 
You posted I've been waiting patiently for your first recovery post :goodpost: You have such a positive attitude which I think is something you really need to help you get through the recovery so well done. Glad to hear your home and getting spoilt now by hubby. Having wonderful hospital staff those first few days is also important and help you to relax. So you are well on the way to a great recovery! take care and let people look after you for a change :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Continuing my post for all of you. I know how much they have helped me.

Thursday was my day of surgery and today is my first full day at home. Woke up early--sleeping was difficult last night--just couldn't get comfortable. Moved to my recliner with knee iced and elevated about 4 a.m. Even dozed a little. Considering sleeping in my chair tonight. I am a side sleeper and just couldn't get comfortable. Pt suggested getting one of those body pillows to try. Lie on good side with surgical knee over on pillow. Going to try it, have nothing to lose. Great experience with my home health care nurses and pt today. They have all been surprised that there is so little swelling in my knee. I am thinking this game ready ice/compression machine may be helping that. (guess my surgeon knew what he was doing when he asked me to order it). Apparently since he is a young surgeon he is willing to try new stuff on me. I was the first knee replacement patient he had used it on. Pt actually said she may not need to be here for the full three weeks. My numbers were already so good. Believe me I did nothing expect what the PT ordered while in the hospital. I think less swelling is enabling me to do more stretching because it doesn't hurt as much.

Am setting my cell phone alarm to wake up every four hours for my meds. Being very diligent about that since I really don't like any pain.

Was originally worried about the ride home from the hospital. But basically a perfect trip. I placed the garbage bag on the front car seat, backed my walker up to the side of the front seat, sit down and slid left leg into car, then lifted surgical knee in next. Had seat moved as far back as it would go. Put pillow under my knee to absorb any bumps or pothole bounces and I had a great trip home. I am taking percocet every four hours, blood thinner, and stool softeners. Seems to be doing the job

PS--gals, I did put on a little makeup before I left the hospital!! Three days is the most I have ever gone without makeup!!

Good night all and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the well wishes!
 
No swelling that is great sounds like your recovery well. Might look into one of those machines it might be worth a try! I hope you get a good night :sleep: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
The fact that things are going well this early in the game makes me think you are in for a nice recovery - and being home just makes everything better doesn't it? No place like home....

Hope you can find a comfy position tonight and get some sleep!

Heidi
 
I may have repeated myself in a couple of my posts. But I can blame it on drug fog, correct!!??
I'm still repeating myself and I haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol in a week and a half....hope it isn't permanent! Meanwhile my darling husband is having a great time teasing me about it! :groan: I'm so busy exercising my quads but I better start exercising my BRAIN.
 
Cathy. Congratulations, you are doing so well. Hardly any swelling - that is great news. So very pleased for you. Take care. Hugs. Jenny :friends:
 
Hi Cathy, so glad to see you made it home ok! I'll be praying for you. :flwrysmile:
 
So glad you are staying ahead of the pain. I got some ice cream for you when you are ready for it. Whenever you want the party, I can do some decorating also. Take care.
 
I am convinced that this site prepares us so well prior to this life changing procedure and Cathy you are a great example of just that. Well done on the great recovery so far and I will add you to my list of TKR hero's. :spin: :yay: :dancy: Would you mind explaining a little on the ice treatment process you are using. If it works for you I want to discuss with my OS. Continued great recovery and keep us informed of your progress.
 
Hi Guys 5 days post op and reporting in. Have had another good day. No swelling--even my home health care nurses can't believe it. Here is my routine: I do pills and potty stops every four hours. If I am lying in bed I get up, if I am sitting in the recliner I get up. Eat a couple ritz crackers or graham crackers and then take my Percocet. Using my walker, I make my way to the potty. Then walk through the house a couple of times to stretch and flex my knee. I do this over and over all 24 hours. In between I am icing, elevating and compressing my knee with my game ready ice machine. Ice is my constant companion all night long. Whether I am doing everything right or not, it seems to be working for me. Had a good nights sleep last night--slept in my recliner and woke up each time my alarm goes off. I then do what I need to do and have been able to go right back to sleep.

Only issue I have is constipation. I have taken stool softeners everyday and two mild laxatives prescribed by my doctor but am still having issues. I had nausea the first three days but it has gone away(to stay, I hope). I have a good appetite seem to be able to eat anything without any problems.

I am actually pinching myself and wondering when this good recovery is going to stop but, hopefully it won't. My PT says I am ahead of the game according to my numbers. I told him from the very beginning that I was not into the number games and will do all exercises my knee will let me do. May tangle with him later but doing okay for now.

If you remember in my former threads I was very hesitant to order the game ready machine since it was going to cost me $300. I have had such success that the nurses, doctors, and PT were impressed and think it may be the machine keeping my knee from swelling. I talked to the machine sales rep and he is setting up an appointment with the hospital reps. And since I have set such a good example using the unit, he is letting me have it free for two more weeks. May get him to put in writing that I get it free when I have my left knee done!!!!!!! May not be the machine, but something is making my recovery good so far. So I am not about to change one thing!!!

Good night for now--will try to post again tomorrow. Still say the waiting and the worrying is the worse part of this.
 
Google Game Ready Ice/Compression machine. If you can't find it, let me know and I will dig through my papers and get you a website.

Ellie Mae The machine has a wrap that you secure around your entire leg with Velcro. Ice and water are added to the cooling pump. You program the amount of time you want ice and how much if any compression you want. I have mine with 30 minutes of ice with compression, 30 minutes with just compression then repeat. You just have to be diligent in keeping enough ice in it to keep the water cold. You also set what temperature you want your water. Apparently this unit is used by a lot of professional athletes when they have serious injuries or breaks. I am my OS's first knee replacement patient that he has used it with and he is so very pleased with how I am doing. He ever called me at home today to see how things were progressing. Just keeping my fingers crossed that things keep moving right along in the right direction!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom