Guest viewing is limited

TKR Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
32 days post op and reporting in. Just finished a pt session and icing and elevating for a while. Everything is still going as expected--no bumps in the road to recovery and I am so thankful. As these pretty days of summer start to arrive, it gets harder and harder to let my knee be in control. With the weather nice and me feeling better, it is so easy to want to over do. Sending wishes to everyone for a pain free day with your new knees!
 
Hi friends!! Nothing new to report with my recovery (isn't that good news??) :dancy: Five weeks post op and everything is still going as expected. Still icing and elevating (not as much as before, I admit). Always ice and elevate after PT or after my daily exercises. Had a little tightness in my lower back and mentioned it to my physical therapist and he said it was probably where I am not completely relaxed when sleeping since I am always trying to get my knee into a comfortable position. Gave me a couple of additional exercise stretches and it has seemed to help. Wishing everyone a relaxing and pain free Memorial Day weekend!! Already looking forward to something good from the grill. Obviously, my appetite has returned full force!! :)
 
Hi Cathy, so glad you are doing well!! Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend-believe it's going to be pretty weather!! Hugs to you.
 
Hey there! I am so glad your recovery is going so smoothly. Have a great weekend, as well.
 
Just checking up on you Cathy glad to hear you are still full steam ahead. How the weeks have flown by I am at 4 weeks today's I just don't know where the time has gone! Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone!! Today makes it 6 weeks for me and I am still sailing along through this recovery. Just returned from PT where I worked on steps for the first time and rode the stationary bike. Didn't hurt at all! Still feel numbness around the incision but am told that is normal. No longer taking Percocet--OS changed me to hydrocodone--one every 6 to 8 hours if needed. Pain has been completely controlled up to this point and I hope it continues in this way. Still icing and elevating but knee starting to not feel hot all the time--think that is a good thing! Hugs and wishes to everyone--each day gets us all a little closer to where we want to be.
 
Cathy,
Good job! What a great recovery you've had - and isn't it amazing to ride a stationary bike with these brand new knees? Honestly I'm still in the TKR honeymoon phase but I'm practically telling strangers in the grocery store about my wonderful new knee! Perfect time of year too, we have the summer weather ahead to enjoy! Not to mention those summer drinks (wasn't there a slushy margarita in your happy place ? :) )

Keep up the good work!
Heidi
 
Hi Cathy, I have just caught up on your post. You are doing marvellously. I am really pleased for you,
Toothfairy x :)
 
Wow, Cathy. I am so impressed. You have been so steady, level headed, and consistent. The worst is probably over, and now it is up to you to stay smart and not get too crazy.
 
Hi everyone--Actually drove today for the first time--felt like a 16 year old just getting their drivers license--so so nice to be doing normal things again. Actually went to the drug store and shopped for a few items--didn't use a cane or any support. Felt so good that I stopped at a local grocery store to pick up a few items. I just wanted to yell at everyone and tell them I had a new knee and couldn't remember the last time I had walked through the store pain free and NOT limping!!! :dancy: Love this new knee--pampering it right now with ice and elevating!! Just have to be patient and not do too much too soon--I just know how easy it will be to do that!!

Heidi--That margarita has been calling my name lately. Just waiting until I am completely off these pain meds!

Toothfairy and Ready--This recovery has been very uneventful for me and I am truly thankful. Have followed the Bonesmart Mantra and it has definitely worked for me!
 
Josephine Need some advice on medications and knew you were the one to ask. I am 6 weeks post op and am taking hydrocodone-apap 5-500--one every 6 hours. In between pill times, my knee is getting very hot to touch and feels tight (much more than when I was on Percocet) even though I am continuing to ice and elevate. Would it be possible for me to take Tylenol in between pill times as long as I keep my total acetaminophen lower than 4000 mg? I read about the Bonesmart cocktail but if I am reading that correctly, I won't do that until I am off all medications. Thanks for any help you can give me, I have been doing great so far and just don't want to mess up now!
 
You haven't said as much but would I be correct in assuming you are still experiencing some form of pain as well? I think your tightness is more than likely due to swelling and stiffness which are pain. Pain manifests in many forms including soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. You need to read this article again importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart.

At 6 weeks, you are still in the middle of your 'angry tissue' stage which is what would make your knee feel hot to the touch (though some warmth is normal and a sign of healing). So I would suggest that the amount of pain meds you are taking is inadequate and taking two hydro-apap once or twice a day would be more to the point. Never underestimate the necessity of taking adequate pain meds. Most people have to take them for up to 3 months. I took them longer than that.
 
Josephine Thank you so much for the information you shared with me. I just reread the article, and of course, it was filled with good information. I will try what you suggested and if that doesn't work, I will call my OS and request more meds. Don't know what we would all do without our Bonesmart support and advice!!! Thanks for being there for us!! :thankyou: It was truly a blessed day when I discovered this site.
 
Hi everyone!! Today I am 7 weeks post op. Had my PT evaluation today and that went great. I go back to my OS on Monday morning for a follow up exam. Everything seems to be going just fine and I am anxious to see what he says about my recovery. Had some swelling and tightness last week but joggled my meds around and that seems to have taken care of the problem. I am driving again and loving it. I am actually doing enough stuff during the day to get a little tired so I am having no problem sleeping. I still ice and elevate just not as often. Hopefully the worse is behind me and I can keep on cruising through this recovery!!
 
Cathy you are doing so well also you seemed to have breezed through the whole process!

My knee is still warm as well. Funny when I went to see the OS on Tuesday he said your knee is hardly warm at all I said to him" that I had an ice pack on it the whole way here" had just done a PT session and it's a good 45 minute drive to his office so I went prepared.

It's strange how you think you are getting towards the end of it and Josephine says we are in the middle of the angry tissue stage. So I guess we just have to keep the patience going. It will be interesting to see how the knee goes going back to work Monday week but at least I have a day rest in between each day.

Take care and enjoy the freedom again!
 
Back to work so soon--at least it is only part time and hopefully that will give you time to rest in between. I just told my husband that I wish I could twitch my nose and move ahead about 4 months with my recovery--so hard to keep being patient!! But we will do it the Bonesmart way!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!
 
Twitch your nose: just like Bewitched. A trip down memory lane. Once you get to 4 months, you will think you DID skip ahead. Time flies and you will be there before you know it.
 
Hello everyone!! Eight weeks post op today and things are going great. Went to appointment with OS and he was very pleased with my numbers and said I could continue with physical therapy if I wanted to or could just continue to do exercises on my own. Will probably finish this week at pt and then not schedule any more. I have been doing so well that I hope that will motivate me to continue with my exercises on my own. Still taking two hydrocodone at night and one in the afternoon. This is less that I am prescribed but seems to be working for me. As I am feeling better physically, it is so easy to overdo. I stayed busy all day the other day and the next day I was exhausted. Guess this lack of energy is going to continue for a while. I really can't believe that I am 2 months post op and life is getting more and more back to normal every day. I will keep following the Bonesmart mantra as I progress through this recovery--it has really helped me so far.
 
Hi everyone! Have been a little lax about posting lately but please forgive me. I have been doing so well that I just haven't had time. Eleven weeks post op this week and doing great. Have weaned myself completely off pain meds--just taking Tylenol and ibuprophen as suggested in the Bonesmart cocktail and I am doing just fine. Seems like every day me energy level gets better and I have the stamina to do more and more things. Last weekend, a friend and I spend Saturday just running around doing fun things--shopping, eating lunch, etc. and we were gone for the whole day. I haven't been able to do that for several years due to knee pain. I realized that day that I am so happy that I had this surgery and that it is really worth all that you go through in recovery. Hoping that day arrives as soon as possible for all of you too! It is so great being on the other side!!!
 
Cathy--I am so very happy for you and your new knee. Throughout the whole process, you seemed so calm and accepting of whatever you were experiencing. Your positive attitude is inspiring. Enjoy!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom