Guest viewing is limited

TKR Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! OMG I really can't believe that on Thursday I will be one month post op. Time sure does fly by when you are doing nothing!! Went to my first outpatient PT yesterday. Was told, after measuring, that I was ahead of the game. :dancy: I told them I had been following advice I learned on Bonesmart and that I wanted to continue in this same manner. He demonstrated a few exercises to add to my daily routine and stressed that I wanted to make sure I did not overdo even though I felt like I could do more. So it sounds like we are going to get along just fine.

I am waiting for my girl friend to come by. She is taking me to the drug store to pick up a few things. I could send my hubby but I really just want to get out of the house. This will be my first "shopping" trip so we will see how well I do.

I am still feeling just fine, sleeping, icing, elevating etc. My scar is looking better everyday. My PT showed me how to massage my scar so that it doesn't feel so tight and that seems to make it feel better. I really have to pinch myself sometimes to realize that I am getting closer and closer to living with a pain free knee.

I use my cane whenever I go out to PT, but around the house I find that I can do just fine without it. I had my hubby put my walker in the basement--hopefully I am through with it for a long time!! My energy level seems to change from day to day. Sometimes I wake up and am anxious to get up and stirring and other days I feel like I need to be a little lazy. Just let my knee guide me--definitely seems to be working out for me so far. Thanks for all you well wishes and I sure do send them right back at you guys!!

Barb, Shellebelle, Landoz--We are all doing great!!! All our anxiety is leaving and being replaced with feeling anxious about our future with our knees!! So GLAD we have made it to the other side so successfully. We couldn't have done it without help and support from each other. :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:
 
Way to go, Cathy!! You are doing amazingly well, keep up the good work. I pray that I do as well as all of you, you are such an encouragement. I go for pre-op testing tomorrow, so the ball is rolling closer. Take care!!
 
Deb Just hoping your day hurries and gets here. The waiting is definitely the worst part of all of this. Once you have your surgery behind you, you can concentrate on your recovery and there is an end in sight!!
 
Cathy you sound wonderful! I can't believe a month has passed for you already and from reading your posts you have done really well! I agree the waiting was absolutely the worst part. I look back at that part of it and I can almost feel that anxiety creeping back in.

Funny about the walker being sent down to the basement - I put mine away a few weeks ago and it felt great. Funny too, I received a bill for it yesterday, just a $10 co pay! I don't know how much my insurance paid for it but for those first few weeks I was glad I had it:)

On Monday my daughter and I went to lunch and then walked around the mall and got pedicures. I was really anxious to do that but I worried about getting up into the chair....no problem though, this new knee works like a charm!

Keep up the great work,
Heidi
 
Heidi My son bought me a gift certificate at our local nail salon for my birthday. Just told my girlfriend yesterday that one of my first trips was to get a pedicure but that I needed to wait until I knew I could step up into the tub. Hopefully, after a few more weeks, I will be able to make it. Definitely looking forward to it.

My biggest concern right now is the energy drain. Some days I feel fine and others I just don't want to do anything. Really strange how that goes but I am hoping that as each day passes, I will get more and more energy.
Had my first full PT session today. He encouraged me to complete all the exercises but did not push me too far. He feels I am ahead of the game since I have almost no swelling in my leg at all and am able to bend and flex more than most patients on my same time schedule. So pleased to hear that! My goal is to just keep moving through this recovery with no bumps in the road, if possible.
 
I am now one month post op and doing great. I came home taking one Percocet every four hours and did this for two weeks. I then changed to taking one Percocet every 6 hours. I have had no pain at all and am considering taking my dose down again but am a little concerned. I don't want to not be able to do my PT. Does anyone have any suggestions about what they did. I know everyone is different--want to be off these meds as soon as I can but don't want to go off of them too soon?
 
If your pain is ok at 6 hours between doses, I'd try 8 hours and see how it goes. How's the stiffness?--controlling that is part of pain control too. You may need a milder pain killer or even tylenol once you're off the percocet and that would be normal, I think.
 
You won't become addicted to the drugs, so don't worry about taking them. When you forget, that's when to stop.

It's not IMO advisable* to take drugs for PT because the drugs mask pain and PT shouldn't hurt.

*This view is not universal.
 
I have just found this forum and many answers to my questions. I am four weeks post op and have had appalling pain control problems (even IV morphine didn't touch it) - I am in the UK. Now just on paracetemol and diclofenac plus Tramadol at night - but my real problem is sleeping - I just can't without a sleeping pill - now on Zopoclone. I am trying to sleep without it but get really distressed clockwatching. Should I be worried or should I just keep on with the pills?

I am regarded by all and sundry as a tough as nails person who can handle anything but I have been in tears in private over all this. My darling physio daughter says it is quite normal to feel low and she says I am doing really well and to relax/ice/rest and basically use your mantra - some of the physios I have read about on this forum sound horrendous. DD says that for most previously active people in the early post op days just doing things around the home gently is physio enough - don't beat ourselves up - easy to say.
 
Glad you asked this Cathy. I'm only a week out but wondered about the same just because I feel so woolly headed with the pain meds. I'm trying to cut down during the day but staying on them at night as I'm sure they make me sleep and I don't want the pain back then.
Halftidy - it doesn't matter if you don't sleep as at the moment you can catch up during the day. Please don't worry as the more you do then the worse it will all seem. Relax and listen to your lovely daughter. Hugs.
 
You know best what you need. You can try half tabs and see how you fare.
 
The other thing for sleep - a few drops of lavender oil under the pillow can help.
 
Hi, halftidy, welcome to BoneSmart.

. Should I be worried or should I just keep on with the pills?
Don't worry, take what you need.

4 weeks post-op is a black period; it seems to have been going on forever and is getting nowhere. But it isn't so, your body is healing - the analogy I use is of shifting a pile of 1,000 bricks one at at time. You shift 100, 200, loads, and it still looks like a huge pile. But you really are getting there
 
I have the option to take either 10, 15, or 20 milligrams of hydrocodone every 4 hours. I usually take 20 during the day because of pt and 15 during the night. My goal is to take the meds before the pain becomes an issue.
getting off the pain pills is not a high priority.


top priority is of course helping the knee return to "new normal"
 
halftidy Please start a thread of your own so we can discuss your needs. Don't want to derail this lady's thread.

maddoxsmama Like Roy said, don't try to plan ahead to reduce and/or stop pain meds. Let it happen when it happens. And it will happen quite naturally, you know. At only four weeks out you need your pain meds right now, so please continue taking them as prescribed.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited
​
 
Josephine--Once again I will heed Bonesmart advice and leave my meds alone for now. Bonesmart hasn't steered me wrong yet!!!! Thanks so much for all the advice my Bonesmartie friends!
 
Hi Cathy ~ Stopping by your thread to check in. Sounds like you're doing very well and the advice about pain meds is something that a lot of us want to hear. Each day can be different, just listen to your body and give it the healing rest it needs. Hope you continue getting better day by day!!!
:friends:
 
Hi Cathy, just wanted to come by and check on you. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully-I'm so glad. Keep up the good work and keep us updated. Hugs to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom