Guest viewing is limited

TKR Birthday Cake and Ice Cream on the Other Side--All invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constipation is such a gross feeling :eeeuw: My visiting nurse suggested 4 oz. of warm prune juice every couple of hours....but what really worked for me was cherry tomatoes. Do you like cherry or grape tomatoes? I always keep a bowl on my kitchen counter and eat them throughout the day like candy. I started doing this when my OS put me on ferrous gluconate 3X daily starting 6 weeks pre surgery. Iron supplements are also very binding so this really worked. And you get a nice daily dose of antioxidants with the little tomatoes!

:iagree: Those ice machines are terrific! My cousin was sent home with one post ACL surgery and I borrowed it after one of my arthroscopic surgeries. Was going to buy one for this TKR but never got around to it. (She lives out in Jackson Hole, Wyoming so I hated to ask her to ship it to me again.)

Keep up the good work, it sounds like a good recovery and you have a great attitude! :egypdance:

Heidi
 
It is so good to hear such good news and a great recovery so far Cathy! (well, except for the constipation issue)
I am really going to try to get an ice machine as I think it will be so helpful. I am planning on setting my alarm also to keep ahead of the pain. Day after tomorrow is my surgery, and I can't wait to say I am recovering!
Hugs to you,

s.:friends:
 
Shelly So glad your day is almost here. The waiting and the worry is so hard to deal with. Soon you will have the surgery over and be headed down this recovery road. I have already come to the realization that this recovery cannot be hurried and you just have to take it one day at a time. But at least you area headed in the right direction.

Heidi Love those tomatoes. Will add them to my husband's grocery list.
 
Cathy, I am so happy for you that your recovery is going better than expected. I am scheduled for Apr 30th. I am a complete mess about it. Angry that it has to happen to me (I am only 49), worried about work, (I can NOT miss more than a few weeks - financially. I have a VERY sedentary job, BTW), scared of the pain and the life changing experience that it will be. I will pray and hope that I can progress as you have.
 
Imcmichael Read all these articles and threads-knowing what to expect and being informed is one the things that has helped me the most. The waiting and worry and definitely the worse part. Once surgery is over at least you are heading in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted.
 
Hi Cathy, sounds like you are having a fabulous recovery so far. I am delighted for you.
I had an issue with constipation too, I took senna tablets prescribed by the hospital, drank lots and lots of water and had ready to eat prunes every morning. I kept up with the prunes for a week or so after things got moving. Mine resolved after 5days, hope yours resolves very soon, enjoy that wonderful new shiny knee.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy:
 
Cathy, thank you for the information on the Game Ready Ice/compression machine. I did Google it and it looks very impressive, I re-read your post and saw the price, probably not in my budget..... However I did purchase a cryo cuff ice compression devise (Amazon about $130) that works off of gravity...the ultimate goal is to keep the joint iced, so I think this will work fine... :yes!:

I look forward to your progress reports and hope nothing but the best for you...:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Ellen
 
Hi Shelly, all the very best for the 25th, I hope you have a speedy recovery:flwrysmile: , will be thinking of you.
Not long for me now:yikes:
Hugs to you:friends:
Lee
 
I am so glad for you that everything has been going so well!
 
Hi Cathy your knee sounds amazing you are doing so well for such early stages :yay: :dancy: :happydance: I think a lot of it has to with your amazing positive attitude and the ice machine is working wonders for you! All the best and keep doing what your doing!
 
Check in this library under constipation and you will find some good info and some recipes to try. Some of them actually sound good. I will definitely try them for the next knee. Be careful not to overdo it--it's easy to do when you are feeling good.
 
Cathy, I am so happy for you that your recovery is going better than expected. I am scheduled for Apr 30th. I am a complete mess about it. Angry that it has to happen to me (I am only 49), worried about work, (I can NOT miss more than a few weeks - financially. I have a VERY sedentary job, BTW), scared of the pain and the life changing experience that it will be. I will pray and hope that I can progress as you have.

LMC,
The waiting is absolutely the hardest part of this process :yikes: but as Cathy said just keep reading the info and the threads here and you'll feel better prepared. You'll do fine, honestly a TKR is quite doable - we all survived and can even crack jokes about it! I mean seriously how bad could it be? :)

The thing to focus on is how good you'll feel once you are in the recovery room. Yes, there is the rehab process to get through but just having the surgery over is such a huge relief! And in your case your age is in your favor - they kept telling me in the hospital that the younger patients generally have quicker recoveries. (Not quite sure they were implying I was young...or old...but I choose to think young. Ha ha.)

Hang in there!
Heidi
 
Thanks for the encouragement! I have had people tell me that TKR is a cake walk compared to rotator cuff surgery. I had a rotator cuff repair in 2009 and it was really hard. I don't wanna hang my hopes on that being true but if it is, then I will get through this easily! Doesn't help to have my OS's nurse tell me that the 1st week of TKR will be 'horrendous'. Seriously, I like straight shooters, but will it really be HORRENDOUS?
 
Oh my gosh, sounds like the nurse from hell! (I've had a few of those myself....:headbang: ) No it is not horrendous! Frankly I found childbirth to be horrendous :yikes: , at least with my first child. (But that was the early 80's when we were supposed to be warrior women and do things all natural!) Was so relieved when the second and third were born by c-section.... This TKR seemed a lot easier than childbirth! How's that for a comparison? Just keep on top of the pain meds both in the hospital (if you're in pain let them know) and at home. Do the gentle PT exercises they'll show you, and always take time to rest, elevate and ice. I'm almost 4 weeks post op and I really feel good. So many people who post here go back and get the second one done once they see the good results they have. They would not do that if it were horrendous :wink:

Heidi
 
Have you had your party yet. I can make a Banana Bread that is so good and it helps the problem you are having. Banana are good for that also can help you sleep. Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. Please take care and let me know when the party on. Tashia
 
One week post op: Constipation problem solved! :yikes: Yea! Took my first shower at home today. Proud of myself. Made quite a mess in the bathroom but I did it myself. Continuing to ice, rest and elevate and staying ahead of the pain. Little swelling and doing what is expected by my PT. Can walk through house with walker and do so several times a day. Took a couple steps without walker (when no one was looking)!! :yay: Have still found sleeping in my recliner is better for me. Sleeping as well as can be expected when my alarm goes off every 4 hours for pain pills. Eat a couple crackers, pop a pill and go right back to sleep. Can't believe it has already been a week since my surgery. Sure hope the rest of recovery goes as fast!

Kathy--Truly not as bad as I had expected. Just be glad that it will soon be behind you! So appreciate all the kinds words and wishes--keep them coming.
 
Hi Cathy, so glad you are doing well, and your bowels are working fine, this will be a big concern for me, been there know what it's like!!:yikes: Did you take anything that really worked?:what: I'm taking into hospital PRUNE JUICE, I get out of kilt just with different food...I'm five days out 1st May, and counting.:spin:
L:flwrysmile:
 
Cathy, you're doing beautifully :angel: A shower, yippee! No more constipation, double yippee! Doesn't the time fly by once surgery is over? Just keep up with your regimen, you're doing everything right :puppysmooze:

Heidi
 
Brilliant news Cathy both about the shower and the vanishing constipation,
You are doing really well. It is amazing how that first week flies by and before you know it you will be out and about.
Take it easy and rest, ice and elevate and keep reminding yourself that you are on the other side!!
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Cathy, I'm so impressed-a shower all by uself???? LOL I know that had to feel wonderful. Also, glad your "going" problem has gotten better. Going through that now, taking 3 iron tablets a day and Colace to try and offset the problem that the iron causes. But too much Colace doesn't work so well either. So am constantly trying to decide Do I take one today or two? I kind of try to base that on the situation the day before. Anyway, enough about that!! I'm so proud of you, keep up the good work and keep us updated. Hugs to you!!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom