Guest viewing is limited

MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

No you can't go to A&E. That's quite correct. But IF it turned nasty and you had to call an ambulance, that would be a different matter. You'd need surgery as an emergency.

I think you should try whatever you can to free it up. Is the knee causing you much pain?
 
Bit of catching up to do here, billy, me lad! Sorry!
But I don't understand why your surgeon needs to 'put his weight behind your GP' to get a hospital appointment. You are still under his care and he should be able to just tell his secretary to send you an appointment. He has the power! If you ask me, it sounds like he's just being lazy!
I erred here - you were asking your orthopaedic surgeon to put his weight behind your appointment to get your hernia seen to. That won't happen, I can tell you. The only person who can do that is your GP and I see she is doing it!
he is phoning my surgeon for an MUA ...apparently that means another trip to hosp were they knock me out and bend my knee...didn't sound too good and would appreciate any info on it as its not turning up on Google..
Why look on Google? We have all that in our Library MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
at the moment it's a block of concrete wit no rom and no feelings on one side
The numbness is normal - read this (and get a peek at my lovely knees!) Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
I do exercise but only to the point of pain..bottom line is that I know my knee will not bend at all, as does my wife who helps me so much..but it's stuck solid at a funny angle like concrete..and I cannot straighten it never mind bend it
No, not even that far. To the point of discomfort only, remember? Sounds like an MUA is really the thing to do.
My meds are the same 8 co-codamol a day, 2 cramp tablets and 2 ibuprofen. I went to my doctor's yesterday about the swelling I have on my groin and she was horrified that I've had it for 3 months without anyone looking at it so she has phoned the hosp to get me an urgent ultrasound scan.
While you were with this GP, did you not discuss with her the amount of pain you are getting from your knee? You really should, you know. Your biggest issue is and always has been, lack of decent pain management. Ask her if you can try some Tramadol - in your sweetest, most appealing voice, of course!
 
@Josephine thought I could love another woman besides my wife who I adore.....but gosh Josephine your comin very close, I feel like all I'm doing is whining but your so kind to listen and answer all my questions...thank you xxxxxxxxx

Now I've listened and today Sun I've phoned the nhs wales because my swelling is now stupidly big and I'm getting pain in shall we say a very sensitive area...it's a dull ache which turns into a cramp and then an inflation...the upshot is I've an appointment in the hosp which did my knee in a couple of hours.. I have 're-read all your comments and wrote them down to tell them..
Will take my kindle with me in case they keep me in
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine well I went and I sat there for 4an a half hours..saw 3 doctors who all passed me up the ladder so to speak to there more accomplished colleagues...in other words they didn't know what it was..
Till eventually the orthopaedic registrar brought her. Senior colleague from the operating theatre no less and he told me...Jimmy you have ripped the middle muscle from above your knee off...and it has travelled up to your groin, he is not sure if it's repairable which freaked me out...but assured me it's not. That dangerous and can repair itself..what's your take on that please???
They are calling me in for an ultrasound scan in a few days..and he is asking my surgeon will he look at it and decide if he wants to repair it whilst I am in for my MUA op.
 
At least you are getting some action now. Good luck, hope you don't have to wait too long
 
I am sorry to hear this happened to you, wishing you all the best.
Hope you can get it taken care of soon.
 
That all sounds horrible to me @billywhizz666 and, if that is what has happened, it never should have.

I do hope that your orthopaedic surgeon finds he can do something to help.

I hope that @Josephine can shed some more light on it.
 
Sounds like all those HORRIBLE people pushing and pulling on your leg caused this to happen to you. Don't let anyone hurt you anymore, don't let physios push (let out a hearty OUCH - that should stop them in their tracks), don't let family members 'help' with exercises. You're obviously a saint, I would have decked them weeks ago.
 
you have ripped the middle muscle from above your knee off - it has travelled up to your groin
By which I can assume he means the quadriceps. I have never heard of that before but it's entirely possible.

[Bonesmart.org] billywhizz666 - the saga continues


I think this happened when you were being 'treated' by that Nazi physio and may well be the reason you cannot bend your knee as the principle player in that activity is the quadriceps muscle. I think you should be talking to a lawyer who specialises in medical 'accidents'. This is unconscionable.
 
@Josephine
If the quad muscle has been torn from its attachment at the knee, do you think anything can be done surgically to repair the damage?
 
We hear about injuries like this with Aussie rules football where an Achilles tendon or a hamstring gets stripped from the bone and rolls up (shortens). They manage to reattach and play again - eventually. Fingers crossed for you mate.
 
(let out a hearty OUCH - that should stop them in their tracks)
are you kidding, dove? She stuffed a pillow in his mouth to silence his screams the first day she saw to him!
 
If the quad muscle has been torn from its attachment at the knee, do you think anything can be done surgically to repair the damage?
I don't know, Celle. Logic tells me yes but the registrar says not. I don't know the full story. Perhaps we'll know more when he's had the US.

Billy, one thing - considering this damage, WHY is he still going ahead with the MUA?
A) I would have thought that now it would be contraindicated in the presence of this injury and
B) I think it entirely possible that it's the injury that's stopping your knee bending.
 
I don't know, Celle. Logic tells me yes but the registrar says not.

It sounds difficult, @Josephine .

However, the registrar is not yet an experienced orthopaedic surgeon. He/she is still in the learning curve. Once the US is done, I would be seeking a second opinion from someone with more experience.

If this proves to be an injury caused by the physiotherapist, some disciplinary action seems necessary.
 
Everything about this case has had me sickened and angry since I first read it. You're right, I wouldn't let out a hearty 'ouch', I'd scream bloody murder and call the police - assault is actually whether or not you 'FEEL' you're in danger of being hurt, not the eventual outcome/injury. Although in medical cases you're deemed to allow assault (think surgery), I don't imagine a physio with this outcome could claim this immunity.

Yes, I would be seeking the services of a solicitor and trying to get the physio struck off, any number of clinicians disciplined and a restraining order against my spouse to ensure there is no more domestic violence in the force of bullying, psychological harassment and definitely not allowing them to lay a hand on me ever again.

But Billy doesn't seem to be as litigious or as angry as I am.
 
However, the registrar is not yet an experienced orthopaedic surgeon.
I wouldn't say that. He wouldn't have been a registrar as we knew them in 'our time', Caryl. Nowadays they are called Fellows and are in the closing years and months of their post-grad training before getting his own consultancy. So not so inexperienced!
 
Thanks for the update and correction of my misunderstanding about UK registrars, @Josephine !

We still use the "old school" definition here in NZ. A registrar here can be anything from one level above Senior House Officer, to one about to seek his/her Fellowship certification. Usually, they have chosen their field of specialisation and are still gaining experience in that field.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom