MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Yikes. Do not agree to MUA unless and until someone like @Josephine says she thinks it sounds advisable.

Well, see what happens in the next couple of weeks. You may just be a turtle who makes slow progress.

Well, considering the abuse they've been dishing out to Jimmy's poor knee, I have no doubt that it's now grossly swollen and painful which would account for the lack of ROM. Much better that he would go easy on the knee and give the MUA a miss. WHY physios think that the clever answer to exercise induced pain and stiffness is MORE exercising and/or an MUA I'll never know :headbang:

Oh @billywhizz666 - I think that Jo is so right! Your knee is swollen and angry from what you've been made to do. Ice, rest, elevation will help so much!! Enough already of the forced bending!! Even the hydro therapy should be gentle and soothing!! I am just 4 months post op and while doing very well, I think, I still get some stiffness at the end of the day and need the elevation and rest and ice.

My best to you!!

U would think by now I would know how to tag someone but I don't....so please forgive me Josephine but u are so right my left knee ..tkr..is exactly one and a half inches wider than the right one..I have heard some horror stories about this.M.U.A.and to be truthful I'm frightened to death of it..
I don't know what to do tho and for that I'm really angry..angry that there is not one and only one recognized path to recovery after a tkr..why does everything on this site scream out to. me of nothing but perfect sense..and yet my family are law and authority friendly so everything my surgeon and pt say is gospel and must be kosher...all I want is for my knee to bend..and at the moment it's a block of concrete wit no rom and no feelings on one side..
My night time pain is gettin manageable..but not consistent oh no sometimes I wake up actually screaming in pain..I take 8 co codamol .2 tablets for cramp.and3 ibuprofen daily..I exercise my knee but only till the pain becomes too much . Which is not far off the start..would love..no skip. that I need your advice please Josephine as I'm now in a really dark place and my days are killing me

@Josephine simply type the at sign followed by the member's name exactly as they spell it.

Billy, you and your loved ones simply MUST accept the fact that it's YOUR knee, not theirs.

You seem to be way under medicated. You shouldn't be in so much pain. You need stronger medication. Is there a reason you can't take Tramadol? For 3 to 4 months I was taking it full doses of tramadol and paracetamol. And be kind to yourself, chill, take it easy. Gentle exercises and patience.

Oh my dear, dear man. I can sit here almost in tears for you. You really do have to stand up to them for your own sake. I know they mean well and think they are working in your best interests but truly they are not. It's very sad that they don't realise what harm all this is doing you.

But don't be frightened of the MUA. Truly it's not that big a deal. But the truth if it is that the surgeon probably won't achieve much because though he thinks your poor bend is due to adhesions, it's not and he will find it bends readily when you are asleep. If he tells you that then you will know I am right.

So now you are 9 weeks out and should be nearly over all this. Instead you are being bullied and tortured into all this pain. My heart goes out to you. If only I could talk with your wife and make her understand what's really going on. However, I know that will never happen so all I can do is pray for you to take matters into your own hands and refuse to be bullied any more.

If your knee is that swollen there is no way you'll get more bend. I know I didn't really start to make decent progress until the swelling went down.

I bet your family is saying "don't listen to people on the internet." Normally I'd agree with them, but this is a legit site with Josephine who is an experienced ortho nurse and lots of people who have been there and know what has worked and what hasn't for them.
You need to stick to your guns and go with your gut which is saying "give this poor knee a break." More :ice:

@ Josephine..hi I've now seen 3 physios including the head honcho... their opinion is that my knee will not lay flat no matter what they do and they have tried a lot.. They think it's cos I was put into an inflatable leg cast after my op which prevented my knee being flat..they all now cannot move the patella again they have tried so now they have written to my surgeon about the MUA procedure.but this is the UK and I can be on a list for 6 months to 12..

They can get my knee to bend during treatment but the minute I walk all the bend has gone and my knee to quote them " is like a block of concrete". I still have this lump or rupture at the top of my groin which again I'm on a list awaiting for someone to see it..but the physios now don't think it's part of the same team as my knee

Needless to say Josephine my head is a mess with all.this any advice or help at all please

their opinion is that my knee will not lay flat no matter what they do and they have tried a lot.
Would I be correct in assuming your knee is very swollen?

They think it's cos I was put into an inflatable leg cast after my op which prevented my knee being flat
Why was that done?

now they have written to my surgeon about the MUA procedure.but this is the UK and I can be on a list for 6 months to 12..
I wouldn't think so. NEW patients might wait that long but a patient still undergoing treatment shouldn't.

They can get my knee to bend during treatment but the minute I walk all the bend has gone and my knee to quote them " is like a block of concrete"
I can't help remembering how that first physio told you that if you didn't let them hurt you to do physio, your knee would 'set like concrete and you'd never walk again'. Seems like a self fulfilling prophecy there.

I still have this lump or rupture at the top of my groin which again I'm on a list awaiting for someone to see it..but the physios now don't think it's part of the same team as my knee
I'm sorry, Jimmy - not quite sure what you mean by 'not part of the same team'. Can you explain?

@Josephine
My daughter pinched my tablet as her laptop is broken so my apologies for the delay in my answer....
1; yes my knee is still swollen and I am still putting ice on it round the clock...I can walk on it to the kitchen but no further without sticks...
2; after my op in Morristown hosp swansea, I was in a small 6 bed op 3 of the other men had knee ops and all our beds had these L shaped inflatable casts u had to rest your injured leg in, they were not inflated tight against your leg all the time but they were some of the time.
3, my kindle played up on my last post....the lump i have at the top of my thigh...we're it meets my groin has so far been described....not diagnosed yet..as a femoral hernia...a torn muscle..and finally a abducture rupture which is why I'm annoyed and confused!!! It's a swelling recently described as on my hip...it actually swells up as I stand or get up..I measured my swollen thigh with a tape..then again 5 seconds after getting up.and there is an inch and a half difference...
It didn't pain me much but it's there all the time..and my pt has now decided in his opinion it's a different injury to my knee..and unrelated.
4: I am awaiting now a call to hospital ,,my family doctor has written to them marked urgent to diagnose my lump/swelling..
And now last week my pt has written to my surgeon about the stiffness of my knee and how it's not responding to any of the treatments they are doing on it,,,thank you for taking the time to read my post...I am actually in good humour considering but and its a big but..I do so want to bend my knee again..any thing u can suggest please
Txt you Jimmy

Well, yes I do have something to suggest but though you might go along with it, I'm sure your physio will have a purple fit! But then you've tried her way and now look what a mess she's put you in.

My suggestion is to quit ALL exercising and let your knee rest for about 3 weeks, then start back with nothing more than simple heel slides like this, done at the rate of 5 every hour or two. But you've got to concentrate on getting that swelling down and you can only do that will lots of rest, elevating and icing. And if you decide to do this, do please keep in touch so I can monitor you.

It would be disrespectful of me to ask for your help then ignore it...I understand how busy you must be as everybody who has contacted me has only ever said great things about you and your council..
It's Mon20th October now and to me this is now day one of 21 days rest..
How often should I ice and do I need to elevate too??

Hi @billywhizz666 I had what I called 'my little pit' up one end of the sofa. Cushions were permanently placed in a leg elevation position, my coffee table was in reach for books, tv remote, phones and drinks, and a blanket was available for if I got cold whilst icing! My routine was to get up in the morning and do a few non specific gentle 'bendy' exercises just really 2-4 times seeing how far my knee would bend WITH NO PRESSURE! - and then get into my 'pit' with ice on for an hour or so then get up for drink / wee and very little pootle round house back to 'pit' get up to have lunch then back int 'pit' with ice, get up again to see kids in from school - back to 'pit' get up for dinner / a little pootle then ice!

All in all my leg was elevated the majority of the time (I did do regular ankle pumps and buttock clenches to keep blood flowing and to stop DVT's) and I iced 3 - 4 times a day for as long as the ice packs (and they were good ones) stayed cold which was approx 1-1.5 hours at a time. I also kept myself well medicated - I am still taking regular Oxycodone as I find if I don't even if my knee is capable of bending it feels 'stiff' and subconsciously don't bend it and start limping for no reason (well I suppose it is my brain trying to protect my knee like it had for so long)

I hope that helps. I know daytime TV is rubbish but it is also a good excuse to catch up reading some books - and having as many naps as your body needs!

Shortie xx

Billy, when you are resting, elevate. When you are elevating, ice. Don't get frostbite- be sure there is a layer of cloth to protect your bare skin. If you do that, you can and probably should be icing and elevating pretty much all the time, and if you can ice in bed all night that won't hurt a thing. Be as 'lazy' as if you were recovering from the 'flu. If you go look at the recovery articles its all spelled out in detail. Just pretend you are back at day one, only this time do it the Bone Smart way. It'll help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TommyM