Guest viewing is limited

MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Since I am a ski instructor, and I was able to ski until right before the surgery, I am stronger than most people going into the surgery---esp. those who wait until they are nearly infirm. (which would have been me, but my husband pushed me into surgery!) So, my recovery is not the norm because I am much more physically active than most people---but the fact that I had no pain at all in Pt is not unusual. I never heard anyone crying or screaming in pain in my pt.
Nor have I. In fact, during one PT session for my first knee I said "ouch" not very loudly, due to some twinge or another COMPLETELY unrelated to my knee and my PT FLEW across the room to see what was wrong. Moaning, complaining, whining, yes, but never any actual cries of pain. And this is my fourth tour of duty in a very busy place with a dozen or more patients getting therapy at the same time.
 
but I don't think your experience is the norm
I agree with Jeano and Kelly. This is not the norm and should be. I never suffered any undue pain and certainly never any from exercising. It's unnecessary and harmful. That kind of thing will cause muscles to become hot and dry and guess what that causes ......... adhesions!!!
 
@billywhizz666 I am so sorry about how many problems you have had to in such a short time. I really hope you don't let your PT cause anymore damage to you.
 
Hi guys..6 weeks down the line now ...waiting to start hydro pt as my pt has quit. She was not happy with the lump in my groin so she got me an early referral to my surgeon yesterday.

He too was not happy with the lump and therefore I'm waiting for my GP to open. I have to ask him to hurry this consultation with yet another surgeon along. I'm annoyed wit this as to be honest why should I be the one push in it?? Surely my knee surgeon could have hurried it along without my input?? Apart from that my surgeon was happy with the pt I've had, did not seem bothered that I'm now having the most horrendous muscle cramps which are waking me up every few hours..

Has anyone else had these?? I'm takin self medicated over the counter pills..which are no help in at all. Would really appreciate any feedback on this subject..with meds I can get in the bag please.. the spasms are sneaky and come at the most weird times..when I'm sleeping etc..

My mail has just come and with it a summons to pt in a hospital I know which does not do hydro...oh I think my ex pt has gone for revenge. Oh my Lord what do they have in store for me and it's so soon tomorrow Saturday...strange day for hosp visit??

Well that's me thanks again for everyone's wishes you guys have kept my pecker up as we strangely say in the UK.. Josephine I would love your help on muscle cramps..wot to take and how to combat please
 
I believe drinking tonic water will help with the cramps it contains quinine which is known for stopping night time leg cramps. You just need to check that you aren't on any other meds with quinine in as it can be toxic if taken in excess.

Shortie x
 
I would add magnesium and potassium! Eat a banana every day. You are still going they a lot. I ended up getting a protein shake called boost here that is full of vitamins. Can do nothing but help after this surgery! I will tag @Poppet for you. She is our nutrition expert and maybe can help!
 
Oh my dear sweet Billy! What a tough time you are having. I would imagine your cramps are due to not taking enough pain killers. Are they still hurting you in physio? That will also be a reason.

I have to ask you what pain pills you are taking, how much and how often? And what have you been prescribed before?
 
I had cramp...I tried the old wife's remedy of soap in the bed, I drank tonic water, I was prescribed quinine, I ate the bananas. It did eventually ease off with time although occasionally cramp in my calf wakens me in the night. I just stretch it out and go back to sleep. To be honest I almost forgot that it was pretty bad at the time.
 
As other survivors of TKR have said "you are way under medicated." After BKR in January I took 2 Norco every four hrs around the clock for 3 weeks until I was discharged from the rehab center. At home I continued the Norco for about 3 months and then took Tramadol for a short amount of time. For me the only thing more painful than knee surgery was natural childbirth. At least that was over within a few hours. Recovery has taken a long time for me and at this point (9 mos out) I'm very happy with the results. I am able to work out at the gym without experiencing swollen painful knees for 3 days afterwards. One thing that has helped is an ice machine called Berg Polar Care Cube. Since we are only in our early 60's we can plan for many years of painless walking, traveling and family time. Stay hopeful. It gets a lot better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.been a while now missed all your good honest comments..7 weeks today since my op and I went for hydro today quite excited as the cramps seem to have got worse. Much to my dismay it was an assessment but in hydro definitely. Tomorrow yay!!!!

My new pt...Damian..wot a name couldn't have been Bert or Albert..no it has to be the name from the movie The Omen !! Well in all seriousness was not happy wit my knee at all or the lump which we all kinda agree is a femoral hernia now. Hardly any Rom at all. Would not recommend anything for the cramps but - and this is where I need your help - he told me I might have crsa is it?? Or cpsa..something like that but it means .I think...my knee is not responding after surgery..he did not embellish on it so I'm kinda worried a bit..

My surgeon has now put his weight behind my doctor in letting my hosp know I need an urgent appointment about this lump I have..so awaiting a letter..

Thanks for all your lovely thoughts comments and prayers..I really have a place in my heart for this site and Chrissie..Kath..Josephine and not forgetting my favourite monicker on the site tired wife.....says it all xxxxxxxxx jimmy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
he told me I might have crsa is it??
Do you mean RSD? I doubt you have that but it might appear so if your other PT has been abusing you as you said she was. This is what I feared from the get-go.

But I don't understand why your surgeon needs to 'put his weight behind your GP' to get a hospital appointment. You are still under his care and he should be able to just tell his secretary to send you an appointment. He has the power! If you ask me, it sounds like he's just being lazy!
 
@billywhizz666 I am sorry I haven't been checking in with you. I have thought of you often, though, and was hoping that all was getting sorted out for you. It is a crime that you are having to endure this sort of mis-managed care. . . And at the hands of Damien!! Scandalous!! :heehee:

I hope and pray that you find some relief soon. Could your PT have meant MRSA? That is an infection - a very bad one. But there would be other signs, too. Fever, etc. Not sure you fit with that. Hope not.

I have traveled to the UK twice, but have yet to visit Swansea, or any part of Wales. Saw much of Scotland last time but didn't have time to swing to the southwest. Closest I've been was to Bath in 2003 and the countryside we saw was so beautiful. My brother-in-law's family is Welsh - from Clwyd or Gwenydd, I think. I know that is north of you. I'd love to see all of Wales!!

Take heart - we are all thinking of you and wishing you the best!
 
Billie....did you get your appointment? Don't be afraid to put pressure on the secretary to get 'er done!!!
 
Hi guys how u all doin?? Hope things are well with all u good souls...as for me not to good...been doin pt and hydro but had a really bad virus doin the rounds at the moment...gone now thankfully but missed about 5 physio sessions..went today to be told by Damien....ignore the scary name he is a diamond...that he is giving my knee 2 more weeks of treatment and if it didn't improve...as it hasn't really...he is phoning my surgeon for an MUA ...apparently that means another trip to hosp were they knock me out and bend my knee...didn't sound too good and would appreciate any info on it as its not turning up on Google..

Apart from that life's treating me good..my family are well..and my poor tired wife is finally getting some good sleep....gotta go thinkin of u all...hope your as lucky as can be bye...Jimmy xxxxxxxxx
 
Manipulation Under Anaesthetic, MUA. I'm sure someone better qualified than me will be along shortly, you're only 2 months post op and you've had other problems to contend with. Seems a bit soon to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom