MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Enjoy your, enforced, rest. Fingers crossed you will soon be right as rain
 
Hi @billywhizz666

My heart goes out to you, it truly does. We are all individuals, with individual genetic makeup, we are all unique one off's. Therefore, recovery is an individual process. It sounds very much as though the hospital you are going to does the Enhanced Recovery Scheme. It's a one size fits all form of treatment, that for me personally never ever worked.

My biggest piece of advice is never compare yours with others recoveries. I made that mistake very early on and ended up feeling so low and inadequate. In the end I made a decision to avoid posts that made me feel that way and seek out the ones nearer to my type of issues and recovery. As a direct result of this I have a fabulous thread where people just pop in for a chat, knee related or not! They nicknamed it amongst themselves Nana's Coffee and Stop Shop! Yesterday it was referred to as the International Coffee Stop!
I don't know where I'd be without the support from the people in here. Good times and bad, warts and all they support you and never judge you.

It's hard for the family Billy because they don't like seeing their da and husband in pain. They yearn for the active pain free happy person they once knew. My husband and family have had to stand back and watch me go through a rotten recovery that in the end resulted in a revision 10 months later, which I am happy to say seems to be working. I've not worked, driven or gone out independently since last December. They just want the mischievous, energetic, albeit bit of a control freak at times, lively person that was the hub of the household. I'm slowly getting there.

No one can truly understand the pain from this. I've had three children and I said the knee replacement was worse than childbirth immediately after surgery. However, another person might disagree because our pain tolerance levels are also unique. I have a friend on here who only ever took Paracetamol post op!!!

What I'm trying to say Billy, just relax with it. Do what you are comfortable with exercise wise, until it just starts to be uncomfortable, not painful but uncomfortable. Then stop. Ice, elevate. This recovery is about you and you have to do what suits you and no one else. .

You may find this hard to believe right now but you will eventually heal. It just might take a little longer that's all. So please don't beat yourself up about it. It will happen in your own time

Please take care. I will pop in and check on you later or tomorrow.

Btw I'm still on 70 to 80 mg Morphine per day and def not addicted. I hate the flipping stuff but it works x

From Nana moon 27 X
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @billywhizz666 ---It's been 6 days or so since you've followed Josephine's suggestion, how are you doing?

I wish you a pleasant recovery from this point onward. Please keep posting as it really helps others to read about your journey. Keep up with what Josephine told you to do. Ice, elevate. You can't overdo that stuff. Take care!
 
Sorry guys...life has a way of keeping u busy even wen u are confined to a couch. Well it's been a while now and I feel so so guilty not exercising much, the routine I have which consists of me waking up at night...albeit only once now...and screaming and moaning in pain off my knee is as consistent as ever. I do exercise but only to the point of pain. Bottom line is that I know my knee will not bend at all, as does my wife who helps me so much..but it's stuck solid at a funny angle like concrete..and I cannot straighten it never mind bend it

I still do hydro every Friday mainly cos it's as hot as a bath and feels great. I do lots of minor exercises in the pool and it feels better The strangest thing though is I actually get days now where I actually get the urge to bend it. It's an actual feeling like my body is urging me to bend. Sorry body, it's a bit like the time you tried to train me into having a 6. pack...that never worked either..

I am not blanking you @Josephine @ billywhizz I always look for your advice, My meds are the same 8 co-codamol a day, 2 cramp tablets and 2 ibuprofen. I went to my doctor's yesterday about the swelling I have on my groin and she was horrified that I've had it for 3 months without anyone looking at it so she has phoned the hosp to get me an urgent ultrasound scan. Not holding my breath to be honest..

Finally txt u to @ speccybeccy @ billywhizzthe Amazon nana moon....love ur advice...and wellness in Virginia...there's a mouthful. Txt u all xxxxxxxxx not forgetting Josephine ..I am listeninxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment @billywhizz666. I just so happened to check on you to see how you were doing and noticed you'd mentioned a load of us. Problem is you haven't tagged us in. I'll show you...@Nana moon 27 @billywhizz666 so if you want the others to know your tagging them so they receive an alert,especially Josephine please press edit, a box will appear with your message. Alter your message, press save changes and that will fix it xxx
 
Yes, but yopu left a space between @ and billy. That stops it working. Also don't have any other character like a full stop or a comma next to it - that stops it working too.

bottom line is that I know my knee will not bend at all, as does my wife who helps me so much..but it's stuck solid at a funny angle like concrete
Is your wife still 'helping' you to bend your knee?
 
No,,,were not doin much bending now...quite down to be honest as just found out its at least the other side of xmas before I can see my consultant about MAY and someone else for ultrasound scan on groin.
 
I heard on the news that the Welsh NHS was in a pretty appalling state. So when you said early about waiting a year, I took it with a pinch of salt but now I know it's true! Apparently people are crossing the border into England to get faster treatment, even moving house here! What a state!
 
It's true Josephine so true...I am on the verge of just going to a+e as the lump in my groin is getting bigger and starting to hurt..it's frightening as I can actually watch it inflate. Like a balloon..
 
I hope you've been to the emergency room. Please let us know how you're doing.
 
I am on the verge of just going to a+e as the lump in my groin is getting bigger and starting to hurt..it's frightening as I can actually watch it inflate. Like a balloon..
I have no doubt then that this is an inguinal hernia (or 'rupture' as it used to be known!). They do hurt and the swelling does go up and down because the swelling is actually a lump of fat from inside your abdomen. The hernia itself is on a natural opening into the abdomen which gets enlarged, allowing fat tissue to extrude and it then goes in and out according to what you are doing. If you stand, walk, bend or lift more than a little, more fat will come out. When you rest and/or lay down, it slides back inside again.

[Bonesmart.org] billywhizz666 - the saga continues


The danger is that this extruding fat might drag with it a section of small bowel. Though this can be potentially dangerous it's not inevitably so. However, if your pain ever progresses into the excessive state where you are unable to stand up, cough or maybe even move, or the lump area become intensely painful to touch, hard and maybe even red or otherwise discoloured, then you should immediately phone for an ambulance as this is now a surgical emergency. This is known as a 'strangulated hernia' meaning the portion of fat or bowel has become trapped and is deprived of a blood supply.

I hope this doesn't scare the bejeebers out of you, Jimmy, but every male with a hernia needs to be aware of this possibility. I should also say that this complication only happens to about 1 in every 1,000 herniae, meaning it's not actually that common.
 
Cannot go to A&E .. been told I gotta wait as I'm on the urgent list. Now seen 4 doctors all gasped in shock an told me they would be in touch!!!!!!

Nothing so far. I phoned the scan department an the best they could do was offer me a short term cancellation should one turn up. Is it really worth me going to hydro or letting any of them touch my knee? It is now set like concrete and walking is a no no
 
Back
Top Bottom