Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@referee54 , I watch a lot of reruns on over the air antenna since I don't pay to have a box in my bedroom and that is where I spend most of my time. I'm not really that picky since I mostly use TV as "white noise" to sleep by!
 
I figure I will set up my laptop in my bedroom & play dvds to nap by in the first week or so.
 
I set up a DVD player but haven't popped in a disc yet. I always feel like I have to pay attention when I put in a DVD. But I have 'permission' to zone out during Perry Mason or other re-runs! Go figure.
 
Glad things are moving along good for you @BigBend !!! My left leg has been my problem child! It was so good in the hospital and now it's been giving me fits lately!!!! I can't sleep but that's because I slept all afternoon!! lol....Hope you have a relaxing pain free weekend!!
 
Had my fourth and final in home PT session today, 12 days after surgery. PT thinks I'm ready for outpatient. I see my OS Wednesday when he'll refer me. Outpatient will pose a challenge as the nearest center is 25 miles away or so and I'm worried about impinging on my friends for so much. As it is, they drive 45 miles each way just to get to my house.

PT measured ROM today: 75 on problem child Left and 93 on Right. I think the problem is getting and keeping L from swelling. I can see the swelling so that doesn't even count what I can't see. I continue to elevate, ice and rest, trying not to stress either knee too much. But not wanting to do too little either. The problem with listening to your knees is that they don't tell you what you want to know until later!

I quit using the 2 wheel walker insisted on by my hospital people in favor of a 4 wheel model I borrowed. I walk easier, with a better stride with the 4 wheel. I imagine the concern is stability on 4 wheels but I feel steady on my feet. I can stand without a walker - I don't push it - to take care of personal needs. I'm thinking another week or two before I transition to a cane. I'm not in a hurry. I am banking on the adage that slow and steady wins the race.
 
Sounds like you're just moving right along @BigBend That's fantastic!! .. I take my 2 wheel walker to College so I can hang my bookbag on it :yes: and to have the secure feeling of being steady.Other than that I just walk around without it. I don't have a cane. My biggest problem is being tired but, I know everything is going to be ok and it is part of our recovery.. You keep doing what you are doing and everything will work out perfect!!!!!
 
Thanks, @suzzee2000 . It is important to remember we are on our ways to fuller lives, unrestricted by arthritic knees. I won't get there tomorrow, but it is closer, each day.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @BigBend
If I'm right, you are now 12 day out? Looks like your flex is coming along, how is your extension? My PT was mostly concerned about getting the best zero reading in the first 3 weeks or so. Sounds like that is when the most scar tissue is formed. I was slacking on my quad sets and started to loose what I had gained. I made an effort there and was able to recover back to the zero mark. She is a LPT and said there is a narrow window of opportunity before too much scar tissue takes over. At least that is her opinion, please see if your PT concurs.

As the swelling goes down, my flex has gotten better and heal slides are "somewhat" easier. I too have a problem child with the right knee. I wanted to have both knees done at the same time so they could grow up together! But just as in real children, there is always a problem child looking for more attention. If "right boy" doesn't behave, there won't be any birthday presents in June for him.:loll:

Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!! Hope out-patient PT works out OK for you. Tom
 
My in home PT didn't measure my extension, @Tomel , but I know I've lost some. I was within 2 degrees when I left the hospital. In my early days at home, I was sitting in a chair a couple of times a day with my legs out on a footstool. It really helped extension but I was doing it for too long at a time and it became painful. I stopped. The extension exercises I've done in bed aren't effective, I think, because I have a tempurpedic mattress and it gives too much. So I'm going to go back to the leg extended onto the stool - in moderation this time!

My hospital PT told me the same thing your PT told you. She said lost extension is way harder to get back than flexion. My home PT hadn't heard that. I appreciate your reminder because I want to get back what I had and then improve, not regress like some wicked witch of the west whose legs curled up (before they melted) because she got water thrown on her.:yikes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery. Seems long ago, and a blink of an eye ago. I'm hoping the next two weeks brings me improvement and confidence.

I had my worst day since surgery yesterday. I had my first visit with my OS but had to be driven 30+ miles to get there. Every bump in the road, every turn reverberated through my knees and the percocet was worthless against that pain. Add to that waiting an hour for my appointment while I walked and sat and walked trying to keep blood flowing in my legs. When I finally got into the room and the nurse took my blood pressure, I was 87/55. A little apple juice and trail mix later, the doctor saw me.

He wasn't happy with my reported ROM (are they ever?!), had no advice on stepping down pain management other than to quit taking it as soon as I could and we decided not to refer me to outpatient PT because the nearest facility to where I live is more than 25 miles away. I don't think I could bear being a passenger that long and my transportation friends are leaving for vacation soon.

After an interminable ride home, I took my meds and went into the longest, groggiest sleep. But just to be home was heavenly and my knees released me from the pain they held me in from the first moment I had gotten into the car.

So, I'm truly going to do rehab, UK style...on my own. I will be rereading yet again, @Josephine 's articles as I set up my own program. I have the exercises and probably will order a recumbant bike. When I can drive, I may join a gym. Right now, I'm just glad not to have to get into a car any time soon!
 
I remember the first two trips to my o/s and they were like yours. I was so sick and in pain from the drive and then I had to listen to the surgeon complain about my range of motion. Those were dark days for me. Things will get better. Good luck with your recovery.
 
Thanks, @Texan ! For the pain and the co-pay, I would have preferred to stay home! :heehee: But I know it was a necessary visit and I find myself readier now to take on the challenge of self-guided recovery.

It is a beautiful day here today. I took my first walk outside, other than the doctors visits. Gave me a chance to do some stairs in and out of the house and to enjoy the flowers and trees....and to pretend I didn't see the massive numbers of weeds whose lives will be spared until I can get back to gardening.
 
So sorry to hear about your transportation experience. My OS is in Chicago and we are about an hour and a half south. Boy I sure do agree with how challenging that can be.. I remember reading somewhere, maybe here on BS, to have several pillows and or blankets with you to pad your legs and knees while riding. We have had a pothole winter here and the padding is very helpful.

When they first started me on a bike in in-patient, they had me just rock back and forth with out trying to go full circle until I was ready. I go full now for about 10 mins. before PT to start loosing things up. Fact is, that is what I did first this morning when I got to the gym. Being my off PT day I try and do only upper body, but the "kids" were acting up and the bike helped a lot. I think "they" may have invited some of their Gremlin friends over for a party today.

The best reason for me to go to out-patient PT is the motivation factor. I have a tendency to slack at home if the occasion arises. I'm sure you'll be the opposite, you sound so determined to keep moving forward. Keep posting here and we all will help encourage you. Tom
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how these guys never seem to take the impact of the journey into account. You'd think it would be obvious, wouldn't you?

BTW, BB, you might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style
 
Listen to Josephine....also...read my thread...numbers don't matter at this stage...at the end of the day, if you manage moderate exercise you'll end up where you need to be. The sprinters are very lucky, there are very few of them here! Take your time, manage your pain and don't compare your recovery to anyone elses. I was VERY SLOOOOWWWW...it's 26 months later and I'm just fine doing everything I want...except....running...I'm not going to take up running in my lifetime! :snork:
 
Happy Easter! It is a good day to think about rebirth and new life, something all of us here on Bonesmart share as we go forward from surgery, freed from arthritic pain.
@Ditzzeechick , I will read your thread. I'm glad you checked in with me because yours is one journey I haven't followed yet. I don't mind slow, as long as progress comes with it. @Josephine with the gazillions of posts and all you do as administrator, I hope you don't mind that I've tagged you. I have read your recovery thread several times and will do so again.
As much confidence as you have in me, @Tomel , I hope I earn it. I sometimes find myself in bed, practically paralyzed with fear that when I get out of bed, nothing will bend and that I won't push myself adequately. But on a better note, the swelling in my left knee has finally gone down so I hope to get more movement there.

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery and trying to remember Patience. There's work to be done before I'll have the day I'm looking for: when I'm not thinking about my knees, at all!
 
You really are doing great! We all have that feeling of self doubt sometimes. Every morning when I wake my legs are still stiff and sore from being in one position for too long. I have found that that is a good time to slowly start doing foot pumps and rotations followed by gentle heal slides and quad stretches. Not looking for any great results or anything, just getting things moving and warming up slowly. This usually takes about ten minutes on each leg. I'm always reminded of dog or cat and how they do their stretches when then first wake also.

For 2 and 1/2 weeks out, you are only two weeks behind me. Sounds like this is the point where the others before us have warned us about. Sure we want to move along quicker, but we both know better. All will come in due time. I was able to do a little out in the yard today after church, but picking up a few sticks was enough. So I resigned myself to a second pot of coffee on the porch and enjoyed a most beautiful Easter day with spring bursting out from it's long winter's nap.

Happy Easter to you and all the BoneSmarties out there,
Tom
 
I just returned from vacation and am catching up on some of the threads I'm reading. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Keep up the great work.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the welcome and support. I plan to start my own thread in the pre-op area in the next few days.
 
Thanks for dropping by, @ljrfrm . Will look for your thread in the pre-op area. When I started my post-op thread, my thought was to do a daily journal. Haven't followed through as much because many days are just boring!:heehee:

But today marks three weeks since my surgery and it is time for an update. My best news is that my left leg that lagged behind my right because of swelling, magically caught up on its own! Not magic, really, but Bonesmart common sense. When I left it alone except for ice and elevation, the swelling went down. It now has the same drop when I dangle my legs as my right.:good-bad:

Though I am far from the ROM I need and want, I make some progress each day. I could walk without my walker....I don't because discharge instructions were to use it 4 weeks. I do stand and take steps without it. I can take care of my personal needs except socks and shoes....didn't get any aides for those so rely on humans!

I am not one of those miraculous recoveries that can throw away my pain pills and run around the block. But I am having a decent recovery, spared some of the serious problems others have.:fingersx: I haven't cried because I'm the only one who can hurt me and I choose not to! I hate the grogginess of the percocet and will try to reduce it if I can keep my pain under control.

The exterior swelling has gone away but I still feel the interior swelling. I know I need to gently push my knees more....so time to get out of bed to shower, dress and exercise!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom