Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil and Tom, I'm working on the Two Step now. Am very much looking forward to your appearance on Dancing With the Stars, Tom.......:rotfl::heehee::rofsign:.... not that there is any doubt you'd be wonderful!
 
I have some family members who think I should be tap dancing by now.
I know what you mean!!!! :yes: But don't worry we will be by next year!!!!!:ok:

Phil and Tom, I'm working on the Two Step now. Am very much looking forward to your appearance on Dancing With the Stars, Tom.......:rotfl::heehee::rofsign:.... not that there is any doubt you'd be wonderful
:iagree::goodpost:


Glad to see you have your mind and sense of humor @BigBend !!!! That's more than half the battle!!:):)
 
Hey, @suzzee2000 , thanks for dropping by. I have to head over to your thread and catch up there. I'm anxious to hear if life feels better now that math is done...no more teachers, no more books....no more teacher's dirty looks! :giggle:

Don't know if I'll be tap dancing next year but I promised my sisters I'd do the Gator with them. Can't remember how it goes but I think there is a lot of flopping around on the floor. Hmmm, maybe I could do that now...as long as I don't have to get up off the floor!
 
If you've been reading my thread, you know I'm all about the small ball. My recovery trajectory hasn't included any home runs yet, but I'm getting around the bases a single or double at a time.:walking:
Today I drove myself to the store and grocery shopped, even though I'm more than a week away from my six week anniversary when I will be cleared to drive. I iced and elevated on my return and feel no worse for the unauthorized excursion.

I also notice that my knees that used to be so hot you could fry an egg on them, probably couldn't get an egg to soft boil. That has to mean the inflammation is lessening..:yes!:
 
Hmm 5 weeks knee cooling! I can't wait! Did your incision pain lessen at the same time the knees started cooling, BB?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Good for you!! I grocery shopped by myself for the first time today too. Easy! Until I realized the little guy who put my groceries in my trunk wasn't going to come home with me to take them out! Unloading and putting away not as much fun!
Glad your knees are cooling down....


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I haven't had much pain on my incision, @JustJeff . I had calf pain the first few weeks when I first got up to walk. That was the most consistent and severe pain and meds did nothing for it. Since then it has been what @Tomel describes as gremlins. They stab here and, then, there but the pain is generally relatively shortlived. The tight band discomfort is with me most of the time when I walk. I'm hoping as my knees cool down, that will ease up, too.
 
I tried to get light groceries, @Eva41 and spread them into more bags than I would ordinarily use! Sorry Planet Earth, but today was about ME!:bolt:
 
I haven't had much pain on my incision, @JustJeff . I had calf pain the first few weeks when I first got up to walk. That was the most consistent and severe pain and meds did nothing for it. Since then it has been what @Tomel describes as gremlins. They stab here and, then, there but the pain is generally relatively shortlived. The tight band discomfort is with me most of the time when I walk. I'm hoping as my knees cool down, that will ease up, too.

That pretty much describes me as well. Lots of calf pain initially (I think because of the Valgus deformity correction) and just a little momentary stab here and there depending on what I am trying to do with my leg. Still fells like I have a bandage wrapped around it due to the remaking fluid.

Keep up the good work and I won't tell anyone about your unauthorized driving if you won't tell anyone about mine!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Five weeks out today. My extension is great and I have flexion over 90 on my right leg. The left isn't quite as anxious to bend, but we'll get there. I've been bothered by this big bruise at the bottom of the right incision. No matter how much I iced right on that spot, it wouldn't go away. So, today, I put on my glasses and examined it. Much to my surprise and delight, the 'bruise' was some left over tape residue! :loll:D'oh!
 
A couple of days ago I was laying on my couch. I knocked over a full glass of lemonade. Before I knew it, I had jumped to my feet without using any hand support. I can't do that consciously, but apparently the ability is there!

About 5-6 days ago I noticed a rash, mostly on my right knee. I emailed a photo to my OS. He said he didn't think it was anything to worry about and to rub hydrocortisone and and antibiotic ointment on it. I've been doing that but, if anything, it is spreading. Any ideas about what it is, @Josephine ?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!
    IMG_20140511_120205.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 156
looks like a sweat rash to me. Does it itch or anything?
 
Yes, @Josephine , it itches. The itch is soothed by ice and/or the ointments. It has spread to both sides of my right knee and up onto the thigh and also appears, a bit on my left leg. The bumps don't change when I press them. I can't think of any change in detergent or fabrics that might have caused it. I do have sensitive skin but have never had a rash like this. Weird.
 
Five weeks out today. My extension is great and I have flexion over 90 on my right leg. The left isn't quite as anxious to bend, but we'll get there.
My left leg is my problem child too!!! And yes we will get there!! :yes:

Much to my surprise and delight, the 'bruise' was some left over tape residue
:heehee: that's a great story!!! Glad it was only tape residue!!!!

I can't think of any change in detergent or fabrics that might have caused it.
That looks like it is painful! I wonder what in the world it is? Is it only around your knees? Hope you find out soon!!!!

As always thanks for stopping by and checking in on my thread!! Appreciate it!
 
Good to hear from you, @suzzee2000 . I think Josephine is right that my rash is a heat rash. Seems odd since I was icing my knees so much. I have these rubber ice packs I wore at night under my covers. By morning, the ice was warm water under my blankets and on my knees. Could cause heat build up. So I'm eliminating that part of my routine. Other than the itch, it has been more a worry about whether something was wrong with my new knees!

Other than that, things are moving along. I even cut my own toenails the other day! Progress!!:heehee:
 
Other than that, things are moving along. I even cut my own toenails the other day! Progress!!
:heehee: yup that is progress!!!!
Yes.....I agree that heat rash could be the problem and the little blisters do look like that. Seems weird that the ice packs could have caused it but anything is possible! I am with you on not wanting anything to go wrong with our new knees!!! Hang in there and let us know if taking away that part of the regime works!
 
I think you should get a doctor like your GP to look at it. I think it could be broken link removed: https://www.mayoclinic.org/skin-rash/sls-20077087
Also known as eczema

[Bonesmart.org] Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!


Medical treatments
Home remedies
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom