Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @ljrfrm and welcome to the group. I had BTKR on Jan 23 and am now in outpatient pt and doing better every week. As you recover and get stronger everything gets better and begins to feel more normal. I am so glad with my decision to have both done and over. I have a lot of stairs in my house and have been able to use them every day now. I stayed downstairs when first home, and with pt help was able to do the stairs safely going up and down which is harder. You will find so much support here and so many of your questions will be answered. I was so thankful to find this site before my surgery. Everyone helped me get organized and ready and prepared me for so many things I was worried about and did not need to be. You have time to prepare and everyone here will be with you all the way.
 
@newkneesNH As you transition from a walker to crutches to a cane (if necessary) there is a time where you may feel a little weak and uncomfortable. While it is OK to experiment a little bit, I f would not transition from one to another until I felt strong enough to do so.

You also need to consider you gait, too---make sure that your gait is clean and proper---and using the correct aid can be a big benefit to that, too---abandoning one to get to the next one a little early may hinder your progress with your gait. You should use a cane until you feel comfortable enough to go without one---and when your gait with both legs is strong enough and normal to sustain your walking.

nd when do bilaterals no longer need an elevated toilet seat or raised furniture. I can sit at our dining table the seats are normal.
I would say that you need an elevated toilet seat (a throne) if you still cannot bend your knee in a manner that will allow you to be comfortable and to allow you to get up from the seat itself.
and I am not ready to sit on our low couch yet. Is this all normal?
All of this is normal---you are transitioning from one stage to another--but there is some "grey area" in between.

If you cannot sit on the lower couch yet---then you may sit on some pillows on that couch or choose to sit elsewhere until you feel comfortable.

I need to start looking for part time work soon - administrative/desk work and wonder how long I should wait.
While everybody recovers on their own pace and at their own schedule, Bonesmart does recommend a twelve week, phased-in return to work. Some, due to sick days and time off, have to return sooner, but you may still need to rest, ice, and elevate during or after work. (I know that I did.)

I hear about how tired people get when they go back to work, but eventually I need to do this in the near future. thank you for your advice.
I honestly went back to the classroom too soon---at eight weeks. I was exhausted and stiff and sore at the end of the day. I iced and elevated at night and during my planning period and lunch periods---and on Sundays, after church, I did absolutely nothing but ice, elevate, and rest.

You know your finances best and what you need to do for that---but you also know best as to how your BTKR is affecting the rest of your body. Understand that you may be a little (a lot) stiff and sore in the early days of returning to work.
 
AH YES!! the old "what was I thinking by sitting down in this chair" learning experience. I'm sure I will never forget that lesson either. The good news was that the discomfort was short lived.

One very important lesson they forewarned me of at inpatient was to watch your feet. Be careful not to torque or twist those new knees. This is most common in the kitchen where you are constantly turning. I'm sure in time as we get stronger there will be less risk, but for now be careful.

Thanks for your most kind compliment. There is strength in numbers, that is what is soooo wonderful about this FORUM. Keep smiling!!!
 
Thank you for such great advice. I am in between stages with so many things right now. My gait is very good. I was using one crutch and pt thought I did not need it. I moved to the cane when outside situations. At pt I walk in with nothing. In the middle of the night if I get up to go to the bathroom I take a crutch - we live in an old house and the bathroom is not close to my bedroom, so half awake i want the support.

My husband would like to take me out to a movie, but then I had to stop and wonder if I could get in and out of the movie seat lol? I did for the first time since Christmas go to church this past weekend and my minister was elated to see me and I could sit in the pew without pain. We went out for dinner after church and I had to sit in a hard low chair. I did pay for this later and had some pain. But baby steps back to a social life make me feel better. And it does test me and tell me how much is too much. I guess we have to learn this as we heal?

I think I can get my feet under myself in order to stand up from some chairs, etc. but need more practice and strength with this. My Pt said to come up with a list of things that are challenging me and we will work on them, such as low seats, raised toilet seats, movie seating, restaurants with booths low seating etc,. I think that will help me. I know everyone is different and we all gain confidence at different times - like my pt said to me one day "you will just know."
 
But baby steps back to a social life make me feel better
Oh, yes---that is what we had the BTKR or the TKR for---to regain that normalcy in our lives that feel so good---and that we may have been missing!

And it does test me and tell me how much is too much. I guess we have to learn this as we heal?
Yes---those are the tiny little lessons that all of us had to learn---and file away. Unfortunately, my learning curve in that regard was a little longer than most folks!
I know everyone is different and we all gain confidence at different times - like my pt said to me one day "you will just know."
Yep---the PT is correct---you will know when that time comes!
 
t was beautifully rural---but I went through the Blizzard of '78 there and it was downright frightening.
@referee54 ...I remember it well!! I was living on a farm in Clark County Ohio!! Not far from Licking County! I live in Adams County now and it is realllllly out there!
 
I went to college at Muskingum College---now Muskingum University---in Muskingum County ---between Cambridge and Zanesville, which is, I believe, the only place in the world with a "Y Bridge.""

Now I live in Lorain County, southwest of Cleveland
 
Remember, that if you are experiencing calf pain, it is still PAIN and can/should be treated with pain medication. So don't cut yourself short on pain management. You will be a lot more comfortable in these early weeks after surgery if all of your pain is properly managed.
 
Not a lot to report this fifth day. The gremlins that @Tomel warned me of, lurk. Pain in the shin here, back to the calf there, actually under the kneecap occasionally. I think some of it relates to how I move my legs when I walk or at what angle I'm elevating . Pain doesn't seem to take up residence in any one location really long term and is still well managed by medication. I walk at least every other hour but I'm not doing much in the way of my prescribed exercises: just a few leg lifts, quad pushes, and ankle flexes occasionally. I let my legs dangle a bit before I raise up from a seated position which shows me more flexion than I feel with heel slides - which I hate:headbang:. PT comes tomorrow so I know I'll go over the whole regimin then.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your doing great! This recovery trail has several turns and a lot of switchbacks before we reach the summit. But the view from the top will be well worth the climb. I can imagine a magnificent sunrise with a hot cup of coffee waiting for me when I get there.
I'm about two weeks ahead of you and know that soon you will be able to see the progress that you are making. Please don't try and rush it and become discouraged. Your new knees are now in control and you are only along for the ride. Might sound silly, but enjoy the journey. Laugh at how we have to relearn the simplest of tasks and how each day brings a few new surprises.
Oh and as for that gremlin, us BTKR'er are extra lucky........We've got two of the little devils.
 
I don't think I'll get discouraged....but, then, again, I didn't know how much bad TV there is!:heehee:
I really attribute that to you and other recent trekkers (the confidence, not the television!) as well as those that went years before us and who generously tell their stories here and offer guidance to us newbies. Mountain tops are most visible from the valleys...Got some goals to reach but time to reach them. I'll enjoy that cup of coffee with you!
 
Yes, daytime TV is awful. So glad I like to read. I read 2-3 books those first few weeks. My BTKR was Jan 13 and is till get calf pain. But I think it comes from my "monster walk" when I first get up. Here at work I don't walk for any distance and it takes me a while to warm up the knees when I first get up! Going to ortho tomorrow. Left knee is coming along well. Still doing PT but right knee is being a son of a gun. Can't get past 93 after 12 weeks. Can't keep the swelling down. Will see about a manipulation! Sounds like you are doing great!
 
I'm sure most people on this forum will tell you it is too early to think about a manipulation, @rfricano That you are swollen and can't get rid of the swelling tells me you've been too mean to your knees! I have zero medical training but the way I understand it, you can't get ROM when your knee is swollen. Let the swelling go down, you get more range. I wonder if your therapist is being too aggressive.

Tomorrow is one week out of surgery for me. I had my second out patient PT today and she says I'm ready for outpatient. My only secret is following the Bonesmart way. My PT has the same philosophy.Don't be so aggressive that you hurt yourself and inflame those poor tissues that have been through so much! I pushed myself in one PT session in the hospital because I wanted to show off and I bent my knees farther than they wanted to go. All I did was make my knees swell and lose ROM. Since then I've been very gentle with myself. I re-read all @Josephine 's articles and am sticking with her advice.

BTW, my PT didn't measure my ROM today because she gets that it is too early to worry. I know I have greater motion in my right than in my left....which corresponds to how bad each was before surgery. I took off the Aquapad dressings as instructed today and could see clearly my left knee is more swollen. No surprise that it doesn't want to go as far.

Be good to yourself and listen to what each knee is telling you. Don't make them do what they aren't ready to do or it will take them much longer to do it! Stay strong!:flwrysmile:
 
I am going to doctor today to let him check the right knee out. Thanks for all the encouragement! You are doing wonderful!
 
@Jamie my calf pain is back so I agree it is part of pain management. Seems to be worse first thing in the morning, especially the day after PT, even gentle PT. Also I don't ice as consistently at night because it is a little more difficult to have my helper bring me packs then. I really see how a cryo-cuff or some such machine would have made this part easier.

A week ago today I was at the hospital preparing for surgery. Seems longer ago.
 
Had my first trip from home today since coming from the hospital. I saw my primary care doctor for a wound check. Everything is fine. Interesting side note: I took my walker, of course, and figured I'd sit in the waiting room until called. As is typical, my PCP was running at least 30 minutes behind. The chairs in the waiting room are low with short arms. I took one look and knew there was no way I could sit in one and then get up without a crane and a chain around my waist! I asked for and got a wheelchair for the duration of the wait and appointment. The only real accomplishment of the appointment was to get a refill on my Percocet.....necessary at this stage! I won't leave the house again until next week when I see my OS for my first check with him since surgery.
 
Just getting out for a little while is great therapy. We've had a couple of days here in the 60's and I've been able to sit on the porch and take in a change of scenery. Even out patient PT brakes up the routine and is enjoyable. My first post - op OS visit is tomorrow and I have lots of questions for him.

You made me laugh with your waiting room chair story. It's a mistake I hope not to make again either. Sounds like you are doing all the right things and keeping pain management in control. Keep smiling.
 
@Tomel It was just curious to me that a clinic wouldn't have handicap accessible chairs:scratch: . Kind of like the hospital serving unhealthy food.:doh:But the surgeon was excellent! Top priority:yay: and my PT has been great. Second priority. :beer:
 
I don't think I'll get discouraged....but, then, again, I didn't know how much bad TV there is!
I watched a great deal of TVLand shows---Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Hawaii 5-0,etc.

The really bad stuff was the late-night stuff that I watched when I had sleep issues!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Left knee is coming along well. Still doing PT but right knee is being a son of a gun.
That is all normal---while we had surgery on our knees at the same time, they rarely recover the same way---after my BTKR, my left knee was rather angelic and my right knee was the "problem child."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom