Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have moments when I don't feel any pain. But yesterday, I had to cut short lunch with friends because I couldn't sit up in a chair in a restaurant any longer.
While I'm several weeks behind you, exactly the same thing happened to me at lunch today. The restaurant table was such that I couldn't move or stretch my legs very much without bumping into hubby's feet. I think we're all doing more and more challenging exercises, movements, chores, outings, etc. and possibly cutting back on pain meds as we move along on our recovery paths, so it's probably not a surprise that we have days of unusual or greater stiffness or soreness. I see this as feedback that I'm not quite ready for that new activity -- but maybe in a couple of days. Hope you're feeling better!
 
Hi @sleenie . I was a little hesitant to talk about wine. So many people have issues with alcohol or are on medications that don't mix. But honestly, I felt better having wine with friends, than I did on percocet - and without the narcotic side effects! Could be as @kneeper said, there is an element of relaxation involved, in addition to the other therapeutic effects. I will raise a glass and toast our progress from across the miles!
 
@EmptyHands , I've been doing a lot of icing and elevating today, along with trying those thumb massages along the scars and using my knuckles on my quads. My tight knots seem to have moved. I'm going to say that means it isn't adhesions. I think I've just been very slow at losing a lot of the internal swelling. In any event, I feel way better than I did when I left that restaurant. I think you are exactly right: we try new things and often our knees just say, "oh no, you didn't".

They didn't lie on this forum when they told us patience is key!!
 
Still following your posts. Thanks for sharing your journey - it's helpful for those of use who are coming along behind you. Wine helps my aching knees too - in fact, I'm sitting here sipping some now!! Keep up your great work!!
 
Thanks @ljrfrm . Reading other people's stories really helped me prepare mentally for my surgery. The whole forum gave me the confidence (not that there isn't a lot of second guessing!) when I had to forgo physical therapy that I would still end up OK. I'm glad to see you getting prepared well in advance. About that glass of wine......hmmmm...I just might have one myself this evening! :egypdance:
 
@BigBend Going to try wine tonight before bed. I'll toast you. (Thankfully I'm not on any meds that would prevent me from having a glass)
 
I've not been to BS for awhile...primarily because of traveling (26 hours on Greyhound!- not fun!) and resuming foster care. I am being held captive by 5 month old twin girls:loveshwr::roseshwr::loveshwr:.

At three months and 4 days out of BTKR, I can get up and down from chairs with the smaller girl in my arms. Her sister is much heavier and I need to put her on the couch or floor while I rise and sit. It is a good feeling to be caring for babies again. I still have pain in my incisions and points of swelling that won't go away. I know my ROM needs improvement....but I can do this! Anyone who has a slow recovery should take heart. Many activities are doable long before full recovery!:yahoo:

I can now get up and down from comfort height toilets without needing grab bars..though I use support when it is available because my knees still hurt when I put much pressure on them.

I rarely take even Tylenol...no pain reliever works for me and I have been delinquent in icing and elevating. So I still have swelling. I feel like the Tin Man..just oil those joints so I can dance!

Wish I had a picture of my knees pre surgery to compare. The left one is flat. Weird!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing pretty well. It's good to hear from you.
 
Need to get me some better ROM, but doing fine in the meantime! @kneeper . Thanks for checking in on me! :console2:
 
Just a hair over 4 months since my BTKR...haven't been able to access this site until today but it is time for an update.

My foster twins found an adoptive home so I am relieved of child care, though I miss them deeply. Even with still healing knees, I managed to do all I needed to do to take care of now 6 month olds. My ROM isn't great and my knees often hurt, but I can do important things!!! So, take heart if your recovery is slow.

I took my first plane trip a few weeks ago and wore shorts so TSA could see why I was setting off the alarm. Apparently all but a full body cavity search is still required.:censored:.

Despite all my reading on this forum, I am still amazed at how long my knees want to hold in pockets of swelling. I still have those bits of scar tissue causing tight band feelings across both knees. But I can sleep in any position and stand without pain. Every day brings some improvement.

I look forward to full recovery!!!!I'm sure there is more to come.
 
Congratulations on your 4-month-old knees. If you're taking plane trips and caring for babies, you ARE doing well. That's a lot of activity for 4 months out and it could be why you continue to have some swelling. But, some people just do. In my case I had swelling for more than a year. It didn't really stop me from anything, but it could make things uncomfortable now and then.

Just be sure you still kind of baby your knees a little for a couple more months. Your body is still doing a lot of adjusting in terms of alignment and soft tissue readjustment. Try some ice for the swelling.
 
@Jamie , my great failing over the last month or so has been not icing and elevating. It just seemed there was no time. :hairpulling:That being said, I know I haven't overdone it. I either have adhesions or just a slow release of the swelling. I'm hoping it is swelling that will gradually dissipate as I have no interest in a MUA. Like you, I concentrate on what I can do...which is a whole lot considering I think my ROM is no more than 90 in each knee. I don't mind that but want the tight feeling to go away. Hmmmm, maybe it is time to ice!!:ice:
 
I just hit 4 months also. I managed to get outpatient PT up until last week.. Had a great PT and will miss her. I'm joining a gym tomorrow to keep things moving. My ROM is not the best but I can everything I couldn't do before.. Been hiking and walking for hours. No pain or swelling. I went to a Dr. Yesterday who was on the 2nd floor. I managed to walk up 2 flights and down 2 flights normally! I don't have s steps at home so this was a first. So there is hope. I think we will continue to improve.
 
You are so right @sleenie .... we will continue to improve! I can tell even in the last week or two things are better. As you know, I didn't go to pt so it is interesting to compare (not that we should compare!!:heehee:) with those of you who did. The important thing is being able to do the things we couldn't do before and do them without pain. Sounds like you are well on the way to a better quality of life.:thumb:

I can go upstairs normally if I have a handrail. I still do the one step going down. I've done a lot of chores the last few days....projects that have been on hold since March while I've been recuperating...no additional knee pain (just a back ache) or swelling. Though I still have some pain, it
is duller and moves around some. So I'm more convinced it is swelling and not adhesions.

All in all, recovery happens..slowly for some of us...but it happens.
 
I had some severe muscle spasms early on which really put me behind, so I really wanted PT.

It's interesting, because I can walk for hours with no knee pain or even swelling, but i do get back aches. Haven't figured that one out yet. I'm thinking it's still all due to the knees though. Haven't walked this much in years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom