Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@referee54 , I'm more inclined to think that people who opt to do two in a row are the crazy ones. I don't believe I'm any more impaired than if I had only one done. I can see not scheduling the second one if you don't need to get both done. But if it is just to separate surgery by a few days or weeks or months......nah! Frankly, as good as I am doing, I'm glad the surgery part is done.

I haven't talked much about my pain. I don't want anyone to think it is non-existent. On a minute by minute basis, when I am resting, there really isn't much. The worst pain I've had has been in my calf muscles. Whether it is surgical or I am using those muscles differently than I did before surgery, I don't know. I only have it when I walk and even that is less today than it was yesterday. I feel the twinges and the pulling that every TKR patient feels, but I have not had the intense pain I feared. I know I will have some when PT gets ahold of me. But I know not to let anyone hurt me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you @BigBend I am just so happy for you! Your recovery so far has been off the charts:yes!: fabulous!!!!

a hospital lunch I swear they serve so you'll want to leave!
hahaha!! I have to admit looking back at the food they served....trying to be so "healthy" it was terrible!!! When I got to the nursing home it was all the good ole home cooked meals that were comforting!!!! :yes:

My friend made a bed caddy out of a wine carrier 6 pack. It has my meds, remote controls and cell phone in it. I plugged my bedside lamp into a gadget that lets me turn it off and on with a remote control for nighttime needs.
That's awesome!!!!:thumb:
 
Welcome to recovery!! It certainly sounds like you have a great start going. Just remember to take things slow and easy. Your body will be healing for quite some time and there is plenty of time to work on strengthening of muscles. For now, just be gentle to all those injured body parts!
 
Hey, @suzzee2000 , if the food was healthy and not just awful, I wouldn't have minded. White bread, processed meat...except for the fruit, there wasn't a thing offered at the hospital that a person should want to eat! Yep, it is good to be home!
 
I had BTKR Jan 13th. I'm still having calf pain. I don't see many on here talking about that. I have been massaging Biofeeze on my calfs and that seems to help. Your doing great! Keep up the good work.
 
@rfricano come to think of it I haven't seen many talk about that type pain either!

I had BTKR Jan 13th. I'm still having calf pain. I don't see many on here talking about that. I have been massaging Biofeeze on my calfs and that seems to help.

I remember reading back a while someone talking about pain in the calfs.....now I don't remember who it was... But, I'm so glad the Biofreeze is working...I love that stuff!!!
 
@rfricano or @suzzee2000 , is Biofreeze something I should use so close to my surgery date? I'm not massaging anything and massage sounds good! Obviously I need to keep anything away from my incisions...they are still covered for a few more days with Aquapads. Five days after surgery I remove the pads and then just have the steri strips covering. I see my primary care physician on Thursday so maybe I'll just ask her for recommendations if the calve pain persists.
 
. I see my primary care physician on Thursday so maybe I'll just ask her for recommendations if the calve pain persists.

I bought my bio-freeze at the chiropractors office. Or you can buy stuff like Ben-gay over the counter and then just rub it on your calves!!! It's horrible having that pain!!! Good luck!!!
 
and a hospital lunch I swear they serve so you'll want to leave!
That's an interesting theory! ....... I think I remember reading something similar once on how Mama and Papa robin get their little darling fledglings to take that giant leap of faith out of the nest..............You just might be on to something there. Hope you have good day, keep smiling. Tom
 
I'm getting my calves and my calfs mixed up. I live in the country and the cow variety aren't causing any pain at all. It is to be in the mid 80's today. I will look at blue sky and green grass and listen to the cows and goats and chickens. Not a bad life!

Last night was the 4th night after surgery. I've been surprised at how I've been able to sleep on my back - not my normal position. Last night I even positioned myself slightly to the side for a little more comfort. Calve pain is a little less this morning but other areas around the knee seem to be waking up. Still not bad and controllable on my pain regimine.
 
I'm getting my calves and my calfs mixed up. I live in the country and the cow variety aren't causing any pain at all. It is to be in the mid 80's today. I will look at blue sky and green grass and listen to the cows and goats and chickens. Not a bad life!
:heehee: I live in the country too.....nothing like the sounds of the country!!! :)



I've been surprised at how I've been able to sleep on my back - not my normal position. Last night I even positioned myself slightly to the side for a little more comfort.

Glad you were able to be a little more comfy!!! I was the same way! Sleeping on my back was impossible before my surgery! And uncomfortable for a couple weeks after. Doesn't bother me at all now! BUT nothing like sleeping on your side....I was glad the night I was able to roll over and rest comfortably!!! :)
 
I'm in the country too! Calves, calfs either way I get your drift!

I would think the Biofeeze is ok but keep away from incisions. I think thesis is coming from walking different too. My PT doesn't know why either.

I still have trouble sleeping on my sides. My knees start to ache if I stay on my side for too long. But keep my knees in any position for too long hurts!!
 
New
I'm in the country too! Calves, calfs either way I get your drift!
:heehee: me too!!!

@rfricano That statement about walking different makes a lot of sense! I didn't think about that!
I have a nice pillow that I use between my knees it is the perfect pillow and really helps me sleep on my side pain free!
 
Surgery was Thursday. It's Monday and I marvel at my good fortune. Had the first visit from PT. She was surprised that I can lift my legs, get in and out of bed, toilet myself. She is not aggressive - good - and said I am in charge of my exercises - also good! We went through my exercise routine and she watched me walk. The inevitable ROM measurement came out. I was 80 in the R and 68 in the left, about 10 degrees less than I had before my first hospital PT. I'm not freaked out by ROM at this stage and was very happy she wasn't either.

My calf pain wasn't bad when I walked. The PT said that it is surgical pain and can be quite bad for
some people.@rfricano , maybe we are just a minority that gets that particular surgical pain and you, worse than me since mine seems to be dissipating. At least I feel hope yours will go away the further out from surgery you are.

I feel more pressure type pain right at the kneecap, but nothing the meds aren't controlling along with icing and elevation. My routine is, well, routine. I get out of bed to walk to the toilet or to the living room where I sit in a chair with my feet elevated. Then back to bed.
 
The pains you are having are right in line with mine. Calves are still a little tender in places. Quads are still talking to me until after my morning stretches. And depending on who wants to complain today, various areas around the knee it self. I picture some little gremlin with spear running around in there having his idea of fun!
Overall though, each day is a little better and big changes as the weeks go by. I was at 0-118 right and 0-120 left today and down to 4 to 5 Hydrocodone per day with a couple of Ibuprofen as needed. That is quite a change from two weeks ago. You'll be feeling better before you know it. Remember one day at a time.
 
@Tomel , it is always soooooo good to hear from you. You have a soothing and encouraging manner. I do look forward to having enough healing in my knees that I don't worry about every little gremlin stab! I just got out of a chair I shouldn't have sat in. Chair arms aren't long enough to grab onto so I put my full weight on the knees. I won't do that again! Icing and elevating and waiting for oxy time hoping I don't have to pay for my stupidity.:hairpulling::groan::gaah:
 
As we recover from our TKR or our BTKR, we all experience aches, pains, and sudden cramps of all varieties. Remember that your leg may have been twisted, it had some tourniquets applied to it, and the OS grabbed it and wrestled with it, too.

I had these "Zingers" all over the place---the seemed to migrate and keep me guessing where they would strike next!
 
I live in the country too.....nothing like the sounds of the country!!!
I live ina a rural/suburban setting now, but my first three years teaching were in Licking County, Ohio---and the school district was small in population, but took up parts of three counties.

It was very, very rural and my first year, one of my students showed the Grand Champion Goat at the Ohio State Fair---my last year there, a petite little lady who was also my student raised the Reserve Champion Steer at the Ohio State Fair. It was beautifully rural---but I went through the Blizzard of '78 there and it was downright frightening.
 
referee54 I had BTKR on Jan. 23. I have a few questions in my recovery time. I am in the stage of sometimes using one crutch or a cane or nothing. When is it normal to let go of the support? And when do bilaterals no longer need an elevated toilet seat or raised furniture. I can sit at our dining table the seats are normal. But I feel I am at an in between stage of needing the cane and then not needing it. and I am not ready to sit on our low couch yet. Is this all normal? I am doing the stairs in house every day. And now in outpatient pt 2x a week.
I need to start looking for part time work soon - administrative/desk work and wonder how long I should wait. I have been searching a bit online but don't want to push myself to early. I hear about how tired people get when they go back to work, but eventually I need to do this in the near future. thank you for your advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom