Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first scheduled my BTKR, @icep707, I turned to the internet for information. At first, all I could find were horror stories. Then I found Bonesmart.:thumb: As you say, there are many uneventful and eventful recoveries chronicled here. I know I am, thus far, one of the lucky people.

I did stairs in physical therapy today so I get to go home tomorrow.. two days after surgery. :yahoo:Pain is being managed with oxy. But it was the good recovery stories in this forum that gave me confidence I could do this
 
@Threads , as other bilaterals have said, if the surgeon is willing, it is the way to go. I don't think it is any more pain, there is one recovery and you strengthen your knees together. Some people have much worse experiences going one at a time. So much is beyond our control. Everybody recovers differently. But....there are many good bilateral stories from last month and now. I believe you gotta go in with facts and faith.

@suzzee2000 , I'm getting the CPM hooked up for the last time before discharge....I think I shall take a nap!:sleep:
I do have some help at home. I think for a week or two I will need assistence getting in and out of bed and up and down from a chair. I have no restrictions on showering and really want one but will only do it with someone standing by. Ohhhh and I want to brush my teeth. Not much in the personal hygeine at this hospital!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great . Ill be honest, I read both. Horrors stories and uneventful ones. Seemed like I couldnt escape the horror stories. However I knew one thing , get my house in order and spare no expense on the home aids. Ice machine , commode riser , walker etc. Stool softeners you name it ,I got it . So my real fear was uncontrollable pain . It never happened . Managed perfectly by the hospital for my 2 day stay. Than at home with around the clock pain meds and excessive elevation and iceing. All I did for 3 weeks was lay down, elevate with ice and hang out on bonesmart. Im 7 weeks out now band very happy. Im usually very pessimistic by nature . And always see the cup half empty. I know this is a bad trait. But I do see this as the cup is full. Im already better off now than before surgery. I went to visit my co workers today , with no cane, new tennis shoes and work out outfight, walking heel to toe , heel to toe. They are all amazed. I put on a show. I am however home now elevated and iceing . Patience is a virtue. Keep up the great work. Iceman
 
Big Bend---I was in Great Falls a few years ago with the Montana Arts Council. We had a workshop given by a bunch of snobby New Yorkers. They kept asking if Montana had any cities!!! Well, then in the evening, they asked if there was a decent bar in Great Falls.

Of course, we took them to the Sip and Dip!! They were blown away---Pat was at the organ and the mermaid was a Biggggg girl. She was looking in the window when we walked in. They were blown away, they whipped out iphones and started posting photos right away!!!

Be sure to give yourself lots of time with legs elevated. I spent the first two weeks with 80% of my time lying down with three pillows elevating my legs---this is a good time to get the swelling under control. For the next two weeks, I was down at least 50% of the time. By one month, the swelling was slight and I began to do serious pt.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
 
I think Pat recently celebrated her 80th birthday, @skigirl and is still performing.
One reason im anxious to get home is so I can elevate and ice more. If I didn't need to use the bathroom, I might not get out of bed at all!:rotfl:
 
It's strange to think that day before yesterday at this time, my surgery began. This afternoon I'll go home. One huge thing I got from Bonemart was the pain management advice. The orders are pain medicine as needed. If I hadn't read so much here, I might have waited to ask. As it is, I'm getting it every 4 hours, like clockwork. Truth is I'm also slightly exaggerating my pain levels because I want them to send me home with enough to do the job. I am a little nervous at going home so soon, even with help, and I want to be able to follow all the BS mantras.

I have been able to swing my legs in and out of bed since yesterday. I did stairs during PT yesterday to ensure with help I can get up the 5 steps into my house (one level after that). My biggest pain is muscle pain in my calves that makes itself known when I walk. All in all, I am in decent shape to leave the hospital.
 
WOW Bigbend!! I can't believe you are going home!:ok: I would have been so scared to come home because I couldn't even get up by myself!! I am so happy for you! :yes!:You are doing fantastic!! It is so great to see the difference in people and how we all recover differently!
 
There are so many variables @suzzee2000 . I didn't get to choose my OS, but I got a good one. He loves joint replacement and is up on all the newest techniques, from surgery to bandaging to aftercare. For instance, I don't have to inject myself with blood thinners (something I really didn't want to do). My guy uses aspirin!
 
Sounds like you're doing great. I'm so glad they're giving you meds by the clock. That helps so much.
 
I've now added inspirational to my list of "things" you've given me! Wow, I can't believe you are going home with your two new knees already. Good luck with the transition and I'm looking forward to reading about your recovery at home.
 
I was discharged from the hospital yesterday after one more session of PT and a hospital lunch I swear they serve so you'll want to leave! It's about 45 minutes to get home so we stopped once on the way to stretch. It was uncomfortable but not painful riding in the car. We got me up the steps into my house and I sat in a chair for a few minutes with my legs up. I have been much more comfortable just being in bed, sitting up and elevating and icing. I set my notepad to alarm every 4 hours when I take 1 percocet (oxycodone-acetaminophen). I can take 2 tablets, but, so far, 1 is enough.

The rest of my discharge medications are Vitamin C and aspirin twice a day, zinc sulfate once a day, colace (stool softener) twice a day as needed. (I'm doing fine in that dept:heehee:I also take ibuprofen twice a day.

I can get to and use the toilet with no problem. I want to take a shower but I don't think I should try yet. Pain is minimal. PT is supposed to call me today to set up my in home sessions this week. I like the UK aproach better but, at least, I know what I'm looking for in a therapist!
 
You are AMAZING girl!
Your positive attitude and determination are all working in your favor. Each day you'll notice subtle changes towards being stronger and some new sore spot that wasn't there the day before. I call it the old one step backwards and two steps forward dance. OK so that's the only dance step I ever learned, but it is in the right direction anyways.
In PT as a inpatient, we had group standing. Four of us with our therapist would stand at a table with a chair behind us and play a card or dice game as a distraction. Standing again was a challenge, but so important.

So glad to hear that you are home and doing well. Hang in there, summer is coming. Tom
 
hospital lunch I swear they serve so you'll want to leave!
My hospital food was horrible, too! The nurses on the floor kept menus frm restaurants in the area for us!

It sounds like you are doing great! It is a wonderful psychological boost to get home! Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing!
 
Big Bend,
I am new to this website and just scheduled my BTKR surgery for Aug 4. I appreciate your posting and will be following this thread closely as I prepare for my "big day". My doctor feels that going to in-patient rehab is not necessary, and if all goes as planned, he thinks I can go right home from the hospital. So, I'm very interested to see how it goes for you - thanks again for sharing your recovery. I'm happy that so far, everything is going well. Take care.
 
@ljrfrm Welcome to the forum!! We are certainly glad that you have found us and we will work hard to help you, too.

Why don't you begin a thread of your own in the Knee Pre-Op area and tell us more about yourself?
 
Welcome @ljrfrm . I can say, for sure, that post-op rehab isnt necessary for everyone. I'm 4th day post-op. I walk around my own house, sleep in my own bed, eat the food I prepared and froze before surgery. I can take care of my own hygeine, manage my meds and do the stretches I need to do. I have someone here for help but, other than transport, I'm doing pretty well on my own. As @referee54 said, it is a big psychological boost to be in familiar surroundings. I use my help mostly to replenish my ice packs and microwave my meals!

@Tomel , thanks for your always kind words. You and @suzzee2000 and others on this forum have been my inspiration. Standing hasn't been a problem for me. The day after surgery when the catheter was removed, I stood at the sink to wash my hands. I stand at my sink at home to brush my teeth. Today I took a 'birdbath' and redressed myself without incident...just pajamas, but doable.

I spend a lot of time in bed. My friend made a bed caddy out of a wine carrier 6 pack. It has my meds, remote controls and cell phone in it. I plugged my bedside lamp into a gadget that lets me turn it off and on with a remote control for nighttime needs.

Several times a day I walk out to the living room and put my feet up. It gets me moving and is a nice change of scenery. I'm going to head out soon for dinner and my evening meds!
 
When I came home from the hospital after my BTKR, my wife was working at a medical center. My mother would come over for an hour or two and check up on me and help make some breakfast. She would leave, and I would sleep for the rest of the time until my wife came home. I normally would greet her and then crash again.

In the early days after my BTKR, I would sleep a great deal, do my exercises, and watch TVLand---Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc.

I came to understand very well the energy drain that occurs after a TKR or a BTKR.

People look at us BTKR's as being crazy--- a lady in church today had one done and could not believe that many of us opted for the "Buy one, get the second one.." deal. I have no doubt that I would do the same thing all over again---

People also think that having a BTKR means that you will be bedridden---nope, not at all---but things move slowly---including the intestines. I used a walker in the early days, then moved to crutches, then to a cane (very, very briefly)---and then to nothing.

I would urge you to , if you have not already done so, procure a handicapped parking permit when you can drive.
 
Thanks for the welcomes. I will definitely start a thread in the pre-op area. Keep up the great work Big Bend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom