Bilateral TKR Big Bend goes for bilateral big bendy knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you're doing good! Keep it up.

I'm at 5 weeks and now only use my cane when leaving the house. I'm in the process of reducing pain meds and it was a little rough at first but it's also great to have my head clearer. You will likely see a lot of progress in the next couple of weeks. Mine hasn't been one of those really easy recoveries but I'm getting there little bit by little bit. Just take it one day at a time. :thumb:
 
Isn't it amazing what we are able to do when the swelling goes down. I am almost at 3 months and my knee swells in the evening when I have had a busy day. It is usually internal but it feels really tight when I try to bend. I still elevate any time I sit to watch tv whether I have swelling or not. Congratulations on your accomplishments. I remember the first time I could put my shoes on by myself. I was so excited. You will be able to do it very soon. Keep up the good work!
 
Yes, @VancouverUSAgal , you have had some rough bumps on your recovery road. You are all the more proof that things get better and better!
@Texan , I suppose we will have the risk for a long time of overdoing it and re-swelling our knees just with necessary daily activity. Like you, I'm trying to elevate every time I'm lying down - which is still a lot!:heehee: I'm also icing multiple times a day. No swelling = ability to improve ROM!!!!!
 
Just a brief update 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery. I got socks on by myself and one shoe! Progress!! I also got into the driver's side of my car today to see if I could get behind the wheel comfortably. I drove a few feet up the driveway to test my ability to use the gas and brakes. Success! I won't try again until I'm cleared to drive....:driver:but I just needed to know I can! I cut back on the percocet in favor of more ice :ice:and tylenol:chillpill: and so far, so good. Still tightness (swelling) in both knees, of course, and I am mindful not to overdo things just because I'm anxious to get back to normal. I think I can stay patient as long as I feel a little progress each day. Just sitting in the driver's seat made me feel better:wowspring:
 
Love your attitude! I'm 3 1/2 post op too! I actually went around the block with my husband beside me. We just wanted to make sure I could drive in case of an emergency... Like a pedicure or haircut! I'm cleared to drive the end of next week! Yay!
Did I read somewhere you had Montana roots? We have a condo in Helena. Love that state!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
It takes very little to make me happy and getting my shoes on by myself had me elated! Congratulations on your accomplishments!
 
@Eva41 , I was writing on your thread when you were writing on mine! I was born in Great Falls but we lived in my mother's hometown of Bozeman several years. Helena is half way between those cities. I drive through every trip home!
 
@BigBend, a pedicure is definitely an emergency. I had my nails done last week, and they told me to ask for a "spa pedicure" when I return. I think I'll do that tomorrow or Friday.

@Texan, it is the small things that make us so happy! When I was cleared to drive, and told I could take a bath if I could get in and out of the tub safely (not yet), it was very motivating! And so was being able to sleep on my side!!
 
A month ago at this hour, my left knee was removed and an implant was replacing it. The right knee was moments away from the same fate. As I approached this anniversary of sorts, I've found myself trying to remember my bone on bone pain. While I remember the fact of it, I can't remember the feel of it. It is gone, replaced with @Tomel 's gremlins that produce a variety of short-lived aches and pains...and fairly consistent tight band (internal swelling) sensations.

I can't imagine @ParamedicGirl 's level of training or @suzzee2000 's daily responsibilities. And with no pt, I don't have anyone measuring my ROM. But here is where I think I am. My left knee has caught up with my right, though part of that is my right knee losing a bit. After regressing in my extension, with some new exercises and a friend's help, I bet I'm back near zero.

My flexion remains slow to improve. Then, again, I'm slow to force it!! I am only using my walker outside and the last few days it helped give me confidence as I weeded along side my driveway. I've done a little laundry and a little cooking and a little housework - never too much at a time! Though I want and expect my ROM to continue to improve, I can do much of what I need to do. So the discouragement I have gets tempered with hope and the perpetual reminder to have patience!

I am mostly off narcotics, in some part because I want to drive. My driver and her husband and kids took off this morning for a two week vacation, so, if I need to go somewhere, I have to do it myself. I've been practicing short distances just on my own property.

I can get in and out of the car, feel OK on the gas and brakes. I can get up from the chair that a few weeks ago gave me intense pain. I walk upstairs foot over foot with just the handrail for support..downstairs is coming along. All this with ROM not at 90, at least not consistently yet.

So, lots of recovery to go...and lots of time to get there. I read and re-read other threads and thank you all for sharing your journeys. The great recoveries are inspiring, but the slow recoveries give me hope. It will take as long as it takes, but I'll get there!
 
I admire your positive attitude! You are correct in that you have a lot of time to get to your goals. Keep up the good work and hang in there!
 
Thanks, @Texan . I can honestly say, if not for Bonesmart, I wouldn't have a positive attitude. I'd feel like I was cut loose with no direction and, I'm sure, doing wrong things and despairing about getting my life back. Just to have a source of good information and the support of so many others who have gone through or are about to go through the same thing is invaluable!:thankyou:everyone!
 
My flexion remains slow to improve. Then, again, I'm slow to force it!!
That is fine---these things take time and they recover on their own. Noting we can do about that----except be gentle and let the recovery come to us.

I've done a little laundry and a little cooking and a little housework - never too much at a time!
That is good---little bits at a time---just be careful not to push it or overdo it.

So the discouragement I have gets tempered with hope and the perpetual reminder to have patience!
I completely understand. My recovery was slow and took much longer than I would have like it to, but, in the end, I got there and am fully recovered. Just be patient.

So, lots of recovery to go...and lots of time to get there.
You are doing just fine! You are a month removed from very traumatic surgery on both knees, and you are doing wonderfully---yes, you have a long way to go, but your patience and attitude will allow you to get there!
 
You are so wise to look back at how far you have progressed so far. Like everything else we all heal differently, so that there is no way we can compare fairly with each other. I think you are doing GREAT! Your positive attitude is pulling you through the toughest part of recovery, the first several weeks.

The way you have listed the before and after activities is a good idea for others to do starting before surgery. I wish I had done that so all the positive changes could be focused on now. We sometimes forget just what drove us to making the BIG decision in the first place.

Your ROM sounds spot on. I was told that the extension is most important in the early stages and the flex will come as the swelling goes down and the pain is under control. I'm impressed that you are doing so well without going to PT. Sound like you have the basics to keep things moving in the right direction and are very motivated.

I can assure you that even at six weeks out, the Gremlins are still having fun with me. I think they were hiding yesterday while I was at the OS office, but the little monsters came back this morning.


It will take as long as it takes, but I'll get there!

I'm inspired by your confidence!
Tom
 
@BigBend I feel like I am having a pretty good recovery for being just shy of 7 weeks. I walk around the house with no assistance and perhaps the smallest of limps; I really have little to no "pain" just the discomfort of a little stiffness and the fluid/swelling that is still there; my flexion exceeds the goal though my extension isn't to 0 yet; I am driving; I am gradually regaining my strength and stamina.

Yet, in talking with my OS this past Tuesday and talking about the schedule for my other knee, looking at early October, he said to remember that this knee I had done on March 17 will still be healing at that point! He has never backed away from telling me that "full" healing and recovery takes a year! I know, it is tough to be patient!
 
He has never backed away from telling me that "full" healing and recovery takes a year!
That is correct; while one may get to 80%-90% at six to eight months or so, the healing /recovery process may slow down a little bit, and getting to 100%---completely healed, may take upward to a year. Some may get there faster, though.
 
Thanks, Tim @referee54 , Tom @Tomel and @Phil75070 . Your support and experience are invaluable to me. I have some family members who think I should be tap dancing by now. :scare:
It is so reassuring to know I'm on track (my track, that is!) with lots more room to improve. Phil, it is especially reassuring to have an OS understand. So many seem to just do their thing and move on. I like to focus on the positive because focusing on the negatives doesn't add one whit to a better life:martini:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom