Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Hi, @bickypeg, seems from what I've read here that you absolutely have permission to be a gentle but persistent pest. This sounds like, "squeaky wheel gets the grease" so definitely agree you need to be persistent! If possible, think about how wonderful it would be to get #2 done early next year and then next holiday season you'd be a little energizer bunny, running around and sprinkling holiday cheer all over! Keep your eye on the prize and stay on 'em! And have a good day.
 
@Barbaraj
In the UK its a fine line to be walked between courteous enquiries to the secretary and alienating them by too much persistence. The system is so underfunded, understaffed and subject to local rationing restrictions. There is also the backlog of surgery from last winter's cancellations of non urgent surgery to catch up on.
I'm sure Bickypeg will walk the line. There's hope of Yorkshire down to earth friendliness.
 
Yes, @Apricot, I totally agree--honey catches more flies than vinegar! I think gentle, kind but persistent is the key here. I think @bickypeg will absolutely walk the line and figure out how to make sure they are aware of her and her pressing need for surgery without making anyone mad. Sounds like it is a definite "dance" for those who need surgery!
 
Thanks girls! She was cold at the start but smiling at the end! I could hear it in her voice! I think the line I took that bad hip was impeding progress of new hip will probably work best. But I'll make it clear I'm up for cancellations in the future. Hope I wasn't being foolish saying no to next week...
Two theatres were closed for "refurbishment" last winter. I don't think the consultant was thrilled about that. Obviously had a huge knock on effect on waiting lists.
 
Good day, @bickypeg. I am sure family and friend, including those here on the Bonesmart forum, are all rooting for you--a cancelation appointment as soon after the holidays as possible! In the meantime, keep moving along. I know it's really hard with one hip still out of commission and, as I recall, some knee issues, but I hope that despite the ongoing problems you are able to recognize and appreciate the improvement in the operated hip which is probably carrying more than its fair share these days. Keep up that positive attitude, this is going to get better and sometime next year I hope to hear about you confidently striding around without pain. Cheers, and hope you have a good day.
 
One of those days @Mojo333 when I'm moving round the chairs in the house like Goldilocks trying to find a comfortable one! A bit twingey on both sides which is always a worry but I don't think new hip really likes the car especially the seat belt which sits right on the scar. But only the odd twinge, nothing much. T'other really isn't great until after the second lot of painkillers and anti inflammatories. By evening I'm fairly comfortable so must remember to plan activities accordingly!
Thanks for the kind enquiries- it makes such a difference!
 
You could try a cushion behind and to the side of you. I did that for some time and also used a wedge on the seat to raise it. Bought in Sissell in Mytholmroyd.
 
Thanks @Apricot. I have a wedge cushion under my old ladies' chair seat that has lifts under the feet which is normally OK. And I fiddle about with cushions. I think as usual it's my poor old derriere that's the problem not the chairs! But comfier now the drugs are doing their stuff and I had a nice nap. Filthy weather now so a quick trip to the little library in the village but picking up my new reading glasses can wait. Trying to make the place a bit festive for when the family and an old friend descend on Sunday but I'm rationalising my lack of enthusiasm thinking Christmas trees, baubles and toddlers don't mix. And the decorations are all in the attic. But we're having an Indian takeaway as a treat so hopefully no cooking.
 
Are you using e45 cream on the scar? I find it helps against trouser rubbing and seatbelts! Silicone scar gel is even better but very expensive...
 
Oh right @Apricot I'm with you. No I tried it with the same wedge but felt too high and very insecure. Perhaps a thin one to the side might work. They aren't bucket seats but I think more side to them than is usual? Husband to be honest is a bit of a jerky driver; don't think he's quite used to the automatic which we had to swap with son as there was no way I could get into our nasty low slung volvo.
Not so much trouser rubbing as more of a bruised feeling @SurreyGirl. I think I must try to be more careful climbing in.
 
It's that lousy bad hip that is making this so ANNOYING!
So sorry you are having aches and aggravations.
Hugs and hoping you can get some relief.
 
I used a long cushion (IKEA )and had it behind me and just to the side around the side of the hip and this protected me from the seatbelt and the edge of the seat. I was very sore in the car in the earlier months. Just a thought. They are all jerky drivers when we are hippies. The wedge brought me up so it was easier to get in and out. Only the driver's seat was height adjustable.
It would be nice if this huge rain would stop. It doesn't encourage much going for walkies outside. We changed our car for an automatic in February this year and it has been brilliant for me at least. It took all the stress from the left leg and hip. You'll get there. It won't be long and you will be gambling along with the lambs on the tops.
 
Good morning, @bickypeg. It's a cold, gray day here in the PNW, but after a long stretch of sunny, cool days this past week, I suppose I really can't complain (uh...not that it's ever stopped me!) but nothing scheduled except a trip to the grocery store and the gym, followed by a swank black tie event this evening which should be fun. I love getting all dressed up and seeing the other guests' attire as well. My husband will wear a white dinner jacket and tuxedo pants, and probably a red bow tie. He looks very festive and handsome, and I'm especially proud to be with him when he's all dolled up. Now, if he would only shave off the very scruffy beard he's been growing since Thanksgiving! I have suggested this several times and he's ignored me so I need to quit. Oh, well...

Hope you have a good day, a mix of some activity but lots of rest so you don't get too uncomfortable or tired out. With that miserable second hip groaning and moaning all the time, I recognize this must be difficult for you. But focus on the "one down, one to go" aspects and know that you're halfway there and, if you are sweetly persistent enough and lucky, maybe #2 will be early in 2019 so that by midyear you'll be feeling fabulous and able to get down on the floor and play with those grandbabies. Cheers!
 
Oh double hippies! I've had a few grim mornings when I wake up aching,even lower spine is crunching away,and nice new hip is hurting. Knees not good. When I walk (only round the house) I realise I'm throwing bad leg out to the side. Was I foolish to say no to the cancellation at the hospital? By about 3.00pm I'm feeling not bad but only as a result of painkillers and anti inflammatories (2 lots or even 3 if I was up at 5.00am) but it's hard finding enthusiasm for doing Christmas stuff. Have a carol concert and the ballet next week and I'm very tempted to cancel. Both nearly an hour's drive. Family plus toddler over today which will be lovely but I've just had a pre-emptive codeine. Will I ever be right? Is the arthritis travelling all round my body?
I shall regret having posted this in a few hours but it helps to moan and groan on here. Soz!
When I was a social worker in Birmingham the Children's Officer was called Nappy (one for the Brits?)
 
I'm so sorry you feel so rotten.:sad:
I really dreaded long drives (still not my favorite)

Don't regret inviting us to your pity party. :cry:
I hosted quite a few..and was amazed at who stopped in with some empathy.:friends:

If you think attending these events could be some sort of distraction worth the travel, then go.
If you don't feel you should enjoy it at all..no sense in soldiering through it for others' sakes.
 
Had an incredibly busy day with a house full, lots of baby wrangling and felt...absolutely fine! Took a codeine mid morning and it worked like magic.An earlyish night, got up mistakenly at 3.45 thinking it was 5.45 and daughter-in-law and baby would be on the move! Had a very early breakfast and took pills. Felt pretty good!
How odd is arthritis! How can it wipe you out and make you miserable one day and not the next? And never any pattern to it?
Looking forward to carols and ballet! Sorry to be such a miserable bore. :kittychris:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom