Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Beautiful family! I spot you on your new avatar. Nice photo.
Please stop by when you're feeling lonely, bickypeg, you have friends here. :friends:
You're only days away from your latest new hip. Wondering what your OS has to say about the swelling of your foot and ankle? He must have an opinion or be able to offer you some reassurance.

Having pre-op anxiety is normal, we've all been there. But we make it through just as you did last time
and will again this time. We'll be here cheering you on along the way. Stop by often, we'd love to keep you company.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort until the 7th.
@bickypeg
 
Last edited:
I will @Layla !It's great to know you're all out there and you're the only ones who really know what it's like to be a double hippy. Sister doesn't mean to be smug but she only had one wonky hip and it has to be easier recovering!
I haven't seen the surgeon since my 6 weeks post op appointment, but I'll see a nurse and a junior doctor before I go in. And him briefly. So I'll mention it without making too much fuss. Did some icing and had a codeine last night and I think it's improved a bit but I'm trying not to overdo it. It was always slightly swollen from an old sprain. And I did drop a hardback book on it yesterday and wacked it hard with my stick the day before which may not have been ideal.
 
Good morning, @bickypeg. Hope you are feeling okay today, still "looking forward" (yeah, like anyone truly does!) to your next surgery and the relief it will bring you. It's icy and cold here in my part of the world, and a car just drove by the street in front of our house and I heard its tires crunch through the snow and ice. Ugh! But it's sunny and pleasant despite the cold and this miserable white stuff, and sunshine for me is a definite mood booster. My vote is that you do what you need to do to keep yourself comfortable before Friday's surgery. Icing is always a plus and if a bit of codeine helps, then go for it! Hang in there, you're going to do great!
 
And I did drop a hardback book on it yesterday and wacked it hard with my stick the day before which may not have been ideal.
What in the world do you have against your poor foot?:umm:
It seems it's always the way.
If you have a hurt toe, it will be the one always stubbed or stepped on

Hope today is a Good Day, friend!:SUNsmile:
 
I couldn't help laughing re your poor abused foot. Has it reported you?! My toe on my right foot also has cause for complaint as I have broken it again by walking into a footstool on holiday. 2 weeks on it is hurting. Physio today and supposed to be concentrating on magical healing hip and my naughty right knee. I only have a 30 minute session and don't know where to start! Will report back on my own thread…
Hope your poor foot gets better - there is a reason we keep the icepacks in the freezer for permanent readiness! xx
 
Do you think people with arthritis are clumsier? My sister said she kept dropping things before her op. It was something of a comfort. I think I did drop something else even harder a couple of weeks back as I remember rubbing it and thinking how nice that I could reach down to rub It! Saucepan? Perhaps I'm more careful of the other bad hip and its bits.
Bad knee too ST? Mine on the bad leg seems more subdued but it used to be the worst thing at night. The one on the good side sometimes clicks a bit but is relieved by the new hip.
 
Do you think people with arthritis are clumsier?
I really think people who are having mobility issues do tend to be clumsy - or at least I was. When you can't move right before or after surgery you are bound to be clumsy.

All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!
 
Yep, tomorrow is your big day. You know you've got fans. We'll be here waiting to
support and encourage you through words, song and dance :happydance: :happyfeet:
Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration :heehee: bickypeg, but you know we're here for you all the way.

I hope the rest of your day is peaceful and you're able to get in a few winks overnight.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort :friends: I'll bet you do great!
@bickypeg
 
Hi, @bickypeg--I hope you are able to relax and get yourself ready for tomorrow, feeling hopeful and strong (hey, you've done this once already so you know the drill), knowing that Saturday you'll be ALL DONE with all this surgery nonsense and starting down that recovery road once again. Make sure you have a few good meals beforehand, have things set up to make your return home as easy as possible, and keep your chin up. Will be anxiously awaiting your post-surgical check-in!
 
Hello :wave:
With the time difference between us, I'm hoping you're resting comfortably by now with surgery behind you.
Will be thinking of you. Give us a :thumb: when you're able to.
We'll be here.
Big hugs @bickypeg
 
Lovely and spacey. Pain free at the moment. But...Oh the shame...I wet the Bed! But better than last time kind of because I was unable to go for hours!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    20190207_162001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 237
and already in a chair too I note. Well done you! Fingers crossed for a pain free recovery. xx
 
Hi :hi:
Welcome to the healing side once again. :welome:
You look lovely, smiling so soon after surgery.
I wet the bed too, didn't even realize, you're not alone, I'm sure it happens often. Numb!
Hoping you have a peaceful evening and your pain is well managed. Ice, Ice, Ice :ice:
Stop by when you're able. We'll be here for you.

Here are the Recovery Guidelines again as a reminder if you haven't looked at them lately -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @bickypeg
 
The only reason I didn’t is that I had a catheter. The nursing was a bit lax sometimes so the Male physio changed it for me at one pint!

So happy to see you smiling...
 
Thank you lovely ladies! 3.00 a.m. and I've been wheeled on the potty chair so many times to a proper loo. Eating chocolate brownies at the moment and hoping the 3 lovely staff will be offering a brew soon. Huge lady opposite me needing a lot of attention poor soul with other issues but they are so calm and lovely. Had an oxycontin as I went to bed as they forget it before I went into theatre. Great for pain but hated going to sleep- like falling into a pit and very spacey and almost hallucinatory. Awake now but feel myself and incision and round there painful if I shuffle around but nothing like before. Husband says I look so much better. Must notch the recovery down a bit as I don't want to go home until the last minute. It's nice being looked after!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom