Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

@bickypeg
On hydrotherapy pools. I was told by a gp there were none in Calderdale. I believe this is incorrect and there may be one at the hospital in Halifax.
I've never found the local pools had any facility for walking in lower level water. They seem to set up for lane swimming only.
I belong to a gym in Burnley which has a 1.4m pool with a parents and children lane I can walk in. It has steam, sauna and jacuzzi. It also has a low gravity treadmill. Its a very nice place with bar, lounge, restaurant and is attached to the Woodland Spa. You can join any of their classes foc if you feel any are appropriate. I did try Aquarobics a couple of years ago and didn't like it. I found it boring and repetitive.

Have a look here:

https://crowwood.com

I have some free admission passes for November and December.
 
Ha, ha, love all these posts about de-cluttering! I think we all go through phases of wanting to do this, but unfortunate reality is that you're still not up to it 100%--so don't venture down into that basement of yours, @bickypeg! No horrific stories of pitching backwards on the stairs as you're staggering up with an oversized box full of giveaways!
 
Last edited:
No fear @Barbaraj my sister warned me years ago that David Niven's wife broke her neck falling down cellar steps! And ours really is a proper cellar. But it's sooo frustrating! We have a huge attic too! But we've just returned from a charity shop trip with 4 bagfuls of tasteful but dust gathering ornaments which I hope will make someone's Christmas...well disguised so hubby couldn't start questioning them.
 
So kind @Apricot but it's the travelling that puts me off just at present. I was a member at the sports gym pool up at Halifax next door to Next some years ago but don't remember any lower level pool. And scary lane show offs. There was a very nice pool/sauna complex below the Queens hotel in Tod but sadly closed down now. The Burnley one sounds lovely though. Perhaps when I'm a double hippy? Old hip and knee very tiresome at present. I did Aquarobics - only once! But thank you!
 
Good day, @bickypeg--oh, those excess holiday ornaments, I can so relate--we have boxes upstairs in our attic, too. Through my foolish early years I bought ornaments every year to add to my collection--from various vacation spots, ones "too cute" to pass up in stores, a box of 12 glass ornaments to make up for the one I smashed, etc. Now we have way too many and if I had my druthers we'd be taking the vast majority to Goodwill, and buying a pre-decorated table top tree for our sole seasonal decoration (okay, I'd still put a wreath on the front door). But, no, my husband loves all things Christmas and seizes up in horror when I talk this way. He strings lights across the front of our house (he's getting too old for this and every year I worry obsessively as he teeters on a ladder in the rain to put these lights up--augh!) and I am responsible for interior decorations--candles, holiday tchotchkes, a fully decorated tree, etc. With a glass of wine and Christmas music playing while I'm doing this, I admit it's not too bad But after Christmas when I take down and put away all those dusty ornaments (which all, by the way, seem cheap and tawdry on a raw, gray January day) I grimly resolve "never again", only to find myself doing the same thing all over again the following year! Hope knee and other hip aren't feeling too badly today, and glad to know you aren't venturing into Bad Places to declutter--being sensible now means that someday, when you're back in fighting form, you can confidently start your cleaning and decluttering without worrying about balance and strength. Soon, isn't it? January for second hip?
 
Yes I belonged to the Queens too. Funny old world. I understand what you are saying. The first time I went after the hip op I left my stick by the side of the pool. They do have a disabled changing room but I didn't use that. I always using the little private ones they have in the corners of the enormous changing room. It is the most luxurious place I have ever been to. Its worth keeping in mind for the future.
 
Hi @bickypeg !
Just finished a crazy day and wanted to pop my and tell my hippy friend Hello!
I know you figure you have one to go...but you've done splendidly four months out with first one and hope you are hanging in there!
 
Last edited:
Hello @bickypeg, Happy four month anniversary! Lovely to hear that your new hip is more flexible and you are just about independent in the kitchen! :happydance:

Ahem....I see that you are tempting fate with trampettes and cellar stairs....teacher, teacher!!!! :heehee:. Sure hope you give the trampette a pass, and please be careful on those cellar stairs! Your next surgery is coming up and you need to be fit for that!

There must be something about THR and wanting to declutter/clear out "stuff" that accumulates! We cleared out 25 years of "things" when we moved to Canada, but seem to have acquired more since we move here. Luckily I don't have a hoarder husband, but still the stuff accumulates and I am itching to clear out!

Misty/rainy/damp day here in western Canada, and I'm sure you are experiencing something similar over there in Yorkshire. Late fall is here to stay I think! We did have some sun early in the week....a thing of the past me thinks!
Hopefully you are getting some sleep, and I wish you a good day ahead:flwrysmile:
 
Any Queen fans out there? Do go and see Bohemian Rhapsody. Just spent a cathartic 2 hours in the cinema tears pouring down my face and foot tapping! It was a mid morning 'seniors' session. A queue down the street @Apricot and they had to open upstairs! Free tea and biscuits too. Sat for 2 hours and got up without a stagger or a shuffle.I obviously need more theatre/ cinema trips.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    20181122_104304.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 129
Woo, hoo--the inspiration of a great movie was just what you needed! Glad it was a great experience for you. Have a great day, @bickypeg! Most of us here in the USA are preparing for a big dinner at some point during the day, it's Thanksgiving and a day for family, gratitude and overeating. I am contributing rolls and a salad to the feast, and resolving (a resolution that fails every year) to eat mindfully and not pig out. Heavy sigh...but it's just one day, I say to myself.
 
Well if you can do HB Picture House you can do the pool. Would be happy to take you. Excellent on getting out of your seat. I'm going to PETERLOO next week perhaps there's a need to get there early...
 
Me too! Don't think it will be quite so busy! Perhaps we should wear white carnations! Don't forget I just went and sat! With coffee! No dressing, undressing or getting cold and wet!:heehee: (I still find dressing a chore and need my grabber)
After a pleasant day I woke at 3.00 and couldn't get back to sleep for ages! Then dropped off, had anxiety dreams, and woke stiff, achey and very grumpy. And husband has decided to descale the coffee machine. Takes half an hour apparently. But our water isn't hard! :tantrum2:
 
:mcoffee: very inconvenient.
I was up at 3 am also.
Still up...it is 6 am here.:yawn:
On cup two...I'll have one for you!

Hope hip is happy (new one)
Hope other hip is subdued!
 
Good grief, your husband couldn't have waited until AFTER your morning cup of coffee?! I think I would demand that he immediately head out for a coffee shop and get me a to-go cup, a triple grande latte! You are more patient than most, @bickypeg! Hope you finally got your coffee, and are feeling more "human" at the moment. It's a cold, rainy day here in my neck of the woods (and yesterday's holiday was wet and cold, too) so a perfect day for curling up with a book for me, except I've foolishly been baking again as we've got a party to attend this evening--football watching (giant yawn...) but it's the two rival teams in the state and will be a fiercely contested game with lots of folks (who care) yelling at the TV set, I suspect.
 
Yes, to Queen! I'm a fan and I plan to see it, trying to get hubs to go because I know he'd like it.
We don't do movies together, he doesn't like to go to theaters. Bohemian Rhapsody as well as the new Mary Poppins out next month (with granddaughter) are both on my list. Funny thing is...whenever hubby hears Bohemian Rhapsody he belts it out like a drama queen but I'm sure he doesn't know the name of the song, or who sang it :heehee: I could make it a surprise. He might embarrass me in the theater though once he hears it :blush:
Hope you're doing well and wishing you a nice weekend!
@bickypeg
 
@Layla do persuade him to go. It's a good film even if you're not a Queen fan. Mary Poppins should be fun. Hope they have stars who can sing! Talking of which apparently Dick van Dyke paid several thousand to be in it again!
Slept better last night. Might be coincidence but tried a squishy neck pillow in the small of my back and some random orthopaedic specialist had suggested sleeping with legs apart if you're on your back. And I normally sleep as though I'm in my coffin. And also we ladies should always sit with knees apart like men! Anything is worth a try!
 
Hi, @bickypeg, I think anything you can do to provide a more comfortable, restful night is totally worth it. I hate back sleeping, although frequently roll onto my back (I'm a side sleeper) if my hip gets uncomfortable. I know you're waiting on hip #2 to get done so you're probably not going to get great sleep even as your other hip continues to heal. After a PT session this morning, I scooted off to the grocery store as we've got dinner guests on Monday and I wanted to get my provisions gathered so my marathon day of cooking could go smoothly. Of course, despite having a list, I forgot an essential ingredient for my beef stew (onions!) so need to head back to the grocery store at some point this afternoon. Right hip feeling pretty good, left one is aching a bit but not too bad. Just gotta keep soldiering along! Have a great day.
 
We must have missed each other.
I went with two of my sewing friends. Stayed until it was almost empty to avoid the jostle. I did see someone using an elegant hospital issue stick sitting nearer the screen leave before we did. Perhaps that was you?
I find the rake angle of the seats uncomfortable sat with my coat as lumber support pillow
A strange film - could have been brilliant with a tighter script and an hour shorter.
 
Good morning, @bickypeg! Hope your day is starting out well, with energy and focus. I know with a second hip waiting in the wings for surgery, it still isn't great to get up and move around but I hope you are able to do things you want to get done, in moderation, and are looking forward to a good holiday month. I feel that, as usual, I've o overscheduled myself, but this is a common complaint starting out the month of December--too much to get done, too little time to do it all! But I will vow (although I do this every year, with limited success) to try to be sensible and not overdo things. Although I am really feeling remarkably good in terms of hip recovery, I am still subject to fatigue, more so than pre-surgery, and definitely hitting by day's end. If I was waiting for a second hip replacement surgery, like you are, I am hoping I would be more sensible. Hip pain, as I recall from pre-surgery, really limits your ability to fully participate in your daily life. I hope family and friends in your world are stepping in to help you out. Have a good Monday.
 
Happy Monday!
We did make it to Bohemian Rhapsody. I liked it but found it sad, hubs fell asleep in the comfy recliner. Yep, fell asleep! I didn't mind since his movie etiquette is horrible. He was digging in his bag of popcorn, rustling the bag through the quiet speaking scenes and then crunching on the popcorn but when they were belting out tunes he just quietly sat there. He got a few elbow jabs from me. I felt like I was with one of my kids (when they were little) :heehee:
I hope you're doing well and I wish you a great week!
@bickypeg
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom