Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Hi @bickypeg So great that you got out to see Bohemian Rhapsody! I would love to go and see it, but I'm still at the fussy stage of where I sit and get exhausted by major outings!! How are you doing....did you have your joint class yet? Do you have big plans for Christmas?
Now that we are having a sunny and cold week, I am venturing out to the barn to say hello to Tall and Small! Day before yesterday I went out twice, which was tiring....but my big horse needed another layer on under his rain coat, and I couldn't explain where it was, and then I had to show hubby how it fastened on to the horse's rain sheet. Today I only went out once!
Wishing you a great day....I'm heading to bed!! :flwrysmile:
 
We must have missed each other.
I went with two of my sewing friends. Stayed until it was almost empty to avoid the jostle. I did see someone using an elegant hospital issue stick sitting nearer the screen leave before we did. Perhaps that was you?
I find the rake angle of the seats uncomfortable sat with my coat as lumber support pillow
A strange film - could have been brilliant with a tighter script and an hour shorter.
I couldn't go in the end. But I always sit near the back cos of the loos. Did go to see live streaming of the King and I but left at the interval. 3 hours! Boring (and strangely racist?) But saw Nutcracker streamed from the Royal Opera House which was wonderful.Saw that Die Hard is on later in the month!:yay:
I'm not really a Mike Leighton fan. And I knew it ended in tears.
 
Thanks for kind wishes @Alitm and @Barbaraj. Had a lovely busy exhausting week with various bits of the family. Feeding people, minding toddler (with help), waiting up for youngest who was at home as his tour is in Manchester so lots of late nights. And guess what - I slept so much better! Even my fitbit said so! Also did 5000 steps twice - first time since June. Pleased with myself so as it was quieter yesterday did a bit of furniture removing - like an idiot. Just had to have a codeine. How foolish to do too much.
Went to Gordon Riggs garden centre a couple of times @Apricot - they had some cute alpacas but 15 minutes there and I'd had enough. I forget I have no stamina, for walking, standing, even sitting on strange chairs.
Joint School this morning. Not sure I needed to go but I was able to give a few useful tips!:heehee: Refrained from saying forget all exercises apart from tightening your glutes and quads. But did get consultant's secretary's number and will try to get a date for no.2. Was not much of an advert as I was limping about like a very old woman but probably not a bad thing.:dead:
 
Its a very busy place, well done for going to Riggs. Hmm Alpacas; don't they bite....... Joint School. Do you think it helps? I must admit that step seemed to be missed for me beforehand. But I had Bonesmart to educate me well. Its worth chasing the secretary. They can be your best friend and things can go adrift. I'm sure they spend a lot of time managing the do you know where I am on the list phone calls. I agree with you. Life outside home is still a challenge. Its hard to know what is possible and what the after effects could be. Keep on going - lots of success with the first one and the second could be even better.
 
Rang the Secretary @Apricot. Unlikely before April she said or a cancellation next week! :umm: Pleaded my case and explained Mr Parker knew no. 2 was bad as he'd seen a recent Xray. She agreed finally to see what she could do and would ring me in the New Year. January 2nd I suggested! I had no idea they had such power. Seems very odd to me. But I shall keep badgering her now I know the system.
Couldn't face an operation so soon, don't mind being a zombie over Christmas but the thought of trying to get hold of physios, GP or District Nurses over the holidays if there were problems was unappealing!
@SurreyGirl it's just a very basic PowerPoint on aids and adaptations, and what not to do (for 12 weeks!!), info about admission ,anaesthetics, being shown a couple of basic exercises and being measured for toilet seats, chair lifts etc which they deliver more or less immediately. Some info on home circumstances. It all goes straight to the ward for when you're admitted.
 
@bickypeg Sounds like you had a lovely week. Wonderful when we get a good nights sleep as a bonus!

Good for you for going to the joint class, and restraining yourself in the comment department :snork:. I didn't have to go the second time around thank goodness. I had already joined BS before my first class, so the only thing I really gained was what was "standard" for my hospital. That was pretty funny too, as I never did any of the "standards" :heehee:! My OS had updated ideas! Met some nice folks at the class though, some of whom I have seen around and about post op, so that was the best part!

Hope you get your date pronto! I limped on my bad hip/leg post-op 1st surgery too, as it just got worse and worse until surgery last month. You are going to feel so great once you get this second surgery behind you :happydance:! No more "removing" furniture without help....wait until you've healed from second surgery for that kind of stuff!

Frosty and cold here this AM. Heading to my physio for the first time post-op second surgery. Will report later on that.

Wishing you a pleasant evening and another good night's sleep :sleep:
 
Well, sounds like despite fatigue, @bickypeg, you had a good week. All that activity can be exhausting, but I agree that sometimes that means that we fall into bed like zombies and despite assorted aches and pains, we do sleep well. Glad to hear you survived, and I hope you are able to finagle that second surgery as soon as possible after the holidays. Now that you know the "system" you can stay on those folks until you get a date as soon as possible. You deserve it--then time for recovery and you'll be on your way to happy hips!
 
I had a very good relationship with The Pre-Admissions lady at the hospital. and asked if she minded me calling every few weeks. She said that was fine. She arranged for me to have an early pre op as knew I had a holiday coming up. The first op date offered was 2 days after the holiday, the second about 3 weeks. It gave me time to get back to work, run two courses, prepare for my absence and to go for it. I am very grateful to her.

Similarly at an earlier stage, I would have had to wait two months for a Consultants appt. I said I would be ready if there was a cancellation . I was lucky and there was and I “got onto the system”.....

However that was after waiting 1.5 years for a referral in the first place.
 
Weren't you a private patient though @SurreyGirl? I suppose I feel vaguely uncomfortable making demands on the poor overstretched NHS in a way, though again with JS I was by far the most doddery one there! But I know it's silly and that me suffering longer won't help anyone. Do hope it's not icy in January with lots of broken pelvises to be sorted out! :heehee:
 
Well done for ringing.:yahoo:
I believe the medical secretaries at CHT often do the lists themselves rather than the consultants. Be aware that staff are often off for long periods between December and two weeks into January. There are often answer machines! Just speaking from personal knowledge here:heehee:
I’d leave yourself a reminder to ring a few days into the new year...
I’m the one who experienced NHS rationing at Wrightington and chose to determine my own fate. Pleased I did too it was the right thing for me at the time.
 
Nope I was an NHS patient and had to find out how the system worked. I waited two years. So many times I too got answerphone and no replies. It was very frustrating.

I chose to pay for a private recovery home following my 5 day stay in an NHS hospital. Turned out to be a very good decision.
 
Be selfish..take the first spot they can give you.
I do so hope they can get you in soon.
No no more moving furniture:no-fin:
Do Not make me worry for you..:beg:
 
Hope you didn't think any criticism implied @SurreyGirl @Apricot! Useful information from both of you. Have been busy today ordering Wash Wizards and caps that shampoo you and all the other unlikely things I found so useful last time. I'll certainly try ringing for a cancellation immediately after Christmas. A convalescent home sounds wonderful to get over those first dreary days when you can't sleep or 'go' and can't remember which pills you've taken.
Everyone has to do what's best for them, and of course you don't always know until too late. My sister had her THR done in Spain - it cost her a fortune but it was worth every penny she said.
 
Last edited:
No offence taken Bickypeg! Despite the wait I was lucky to get the op done under the NHS and am grateful for it. I might not be so lucky next time as not prepared to wait so long… It really did impact on my quality of life and I was averaging 3 hours sleep a night, could not stand up for more than 10 minutes and could only walk short distances whilst still working f/t. It was horrible.
 
No offence either here. If you've read my pre-op thread you know why I took the private route. Things might have gone differently if I had seen a different consultant at Halifax eg Mr. McWilliams but I unfortunately saw a new one with only 13 thrs to his name in the national joint registry. This then led to two agonising wasted years for me. Then I decided to make my own selection and felt treated like a human being for the first time. The best decision I have ever made.
 
Last edited:
I had no idea they had such power. Seems very odd to me. But I shall keep badgering her now I know the system.
By the time I got my RTHR date I was "best friends" with the surgeon's medical secretary. I called every week for months. Don't feel as though you are pestering them. They need a reminder that you are waiting in pain.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom