THR Bickypeg's new hip

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So long since I've been on here I couldn't find my thread! Cold all gone now - seems to have gone through our area with a vengeance! Dentist, hospital, estate agent, and all family and friends. I'm sure the mild damp weather doesn't help - green December fills the churchyard...
Quite perky today hence the post - had some very low days recently feeling gloomy and popping pills because of aches and pains. Mostly a lovely happy Christmas helped by being fed at two of the boys' homes before Christmas, and on Christmas eve and New Year day, with babies and quizzes galore. Was very tired before Christmas as Esmé and parents stayed over for several days and left on the day but then it seemed rather flat.nothing like a 2 year old to provide free non stop entertainment. (my capital letter thingy isn't working btw)
What was making me so down was wondering if this is as good as it gets? Sons and husband keep telling me I'm doing so well but they aren't in my body! Will there ever come a time when I leap out of bed feeling refreshed and pain free or do I have to be philosophical and accept that this is as good as it gets for a 70 year old?
And how to regain confidence? Do I push myself to do more and more or will I end up in ODIC again? :sigh:
Slept particularly badly the night before last as we'd been to look at a house we really liked and ours isn't even on the market. Getting an informal valuation from an estate agent next week but the house is full of stuff!(needed capitals there!) And car has broken down and husband excited at the prospect of buying something German and expensive even second hand when I've discovered a Vauxhall is most comfortable for me. Means eating into meagre savings whatever. And house we saw is lovely but up on the tops again (Midgley @Apricot ) and too near youngest. He likes the idea but I have no intention of being a decrepit burden on the children having done all that myself (happily but it was hard)
Oh decisions decisions...
Didn't mean this to be a thesis rather than a post! Neck and shoulder very stiff this morning- too much typing and playing on tablet? As my mum use to say 'A different pain every day'...:swoon:
Sister and brother in law visited when we were babysitting at Leeds. Had one hip done before mine and is fine (tho knee playing up) and slim...:umm:

Attachments

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hello @bickypeg I was so happy to see your post here this morning. Glad the cold is gone and especially glad to see your children took on some of the holiday meals. It’s good for them to take ownership of some of the holiday traditions! I am looking forward to that one day.

Hold firm on your car selection for your comfort. My husbands car is a bear to get in and out of. Makes my hip act up almost immediately after getting into it. Wish I had been more involved with the selection, it was pre fracture, but in my opinion never comfortable.

I understand the ruminating over is this as good as it gets. I have fairly good days, and then days were the slightest movement causes pain for the rest of the day. Are both hips still giving you grief or is it mostly righty? I wish I had the answers. Does stretching help you? Before my fall I really enjoyed pilates, got relief from many aches and pains and felt pretty strong. My body looked better too. Toning is great. Hard to jolly my self up to go do, but with time was something I looked forward to. Must research ones that will customize based on your new joints.

Anyway, sending hugs and healing wishes. :loveshwr:

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Hi @Fit4Family Can't find your thread to catch up? So many old friends on here have vanished which is a good thing I suppose as it means they feel better. I do hope you continue to progress.
Mostly it's my new hip and sometimes knee which are the problem although I get a lot of creaking from the vertebrae sometimes if I do a lot of bending. Trying not to think too much about that. But the stretching is definitely helping the tendonitis. And if it's only muscular I must try to be sensible and ask the physio for more ambitious exercises. And do them!
I went to Pilates long ago but the teacher was this amazingly beautiful slim and muscular black girl. Looked like a model. I just felt she was so far out of my league in every way that I sort of gave up before I started! I needed someone elderly and stout who could still do the moves to inspire me. I used to enjoy yoga but then couldn't get off the floor at the end and did a fair bit of yelping during the session...

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi bickypeg,
It's good to read your cold is gone. So much of that going on everywhere!
Sorry for your gloomy, achy, pill popping days but at not quite one year post op and experiencing the two major surgeries within seven months of each other, it's taking longer. Remember, many take longer than a year, continuing to notice progress along the way, which I believe you have. I also think it's normal for an aging body to experience more aches and pains upon rising taking a bit to allow that stiffness to dissipate. If I'm alone in experiencing this, shush, don't tell me, I don't want to know, lol.

I don't think it hurts to push yourself a tiny bit. Take it slow adding a bit more activity, or a little further of a walk and see how your body reacts. Its the only way you're going to know your limitations.

Sounds like you're up for a new house and hubby is most interested in a new car. Hopefully it all works out and you're both happy in the end.

Wow, I see a family resemblance between you and your sister. She looks very hip and stylish! And of course the little cherub, cute as always.

It was nice hearing from you, I hope you have a wonderful week!
@bickypeg

DesertDiva

Country
What was making me so down was wondering if this is as good as it gets? Sons and husband keep telling me I'm doing so well but they aren't in my body! Will there ever come a time when I leap out of bed feeling refreshed and pain free or do I have to be philosophical and accept that this is as good as it gets for a 70 year old?
And how to regain confidence? Do I push myself to do more and more or will I end up in ODIC again?
Wow, @bickypeg - I woke up to your post this morning and your words spoke to me. I live alone and spent my Sunday "waiting for time to pass." I think as we age we have to accept what author Judith Viorst referred to as "Necessary Losses." I think our lives can still be full and meaningful, but most of us will have to modify our expectations of what we can and cannot do.

Strangely, when I volunteered at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta I was sad to find that a balloon ride is contraindicated for me as I have osteoporosis. However, I still had a wonderful time.

I tend to "push to envelope" and do things that create some initial anxiety, but eventually make me feel like a confident and strong woman. Healing takes time might be my new "mantra." Thinking of you on your continued journey of healing...

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Thank you @Layla you always say just the right thing. Have actually done more than 47000 steps this week without really noticing it. Being without a car for a few days obviously helped! And the weather has been dry. I'm OK walking down our hill and on the flat, it's just worrying about getting back again without damaging myself that looms large. Have been nipping(!) this week up to the attic and down to the cellar to put away decorations and clear out some stuff. Found years and years of old Everton football magazines, broken lead soldiers and a Fisher Price record player amongst other treasures. Hope the record player works for the little one, I've managed to sell the soldiers and the mags will have to be smuggled out a few at a time...such a slow process though.
Slept better last night with a pillow under my knees. May be coincidence.
Poor @DesertDiva weekends are the worst. But the balloon festival sounds great fun. You are a baby in terms of healing though, I can't believe you're doing so much so soon. I still haven't really come to terms with retirement. Even in the holidays I used to get bored and look forward to getting back to school.
Oh @Layla you'll be glad to know the widowed son has finally met someone after 9 long years! And...she's American! Obvious huge problem there in terms of the Atlantic but she's flying over in February and they Skype every day. I'd noticed a spring in his step and some new clothes...Think they must have met on a dating site as she loves all the things he does. She lives in Hollywood. He's been looking at flight prices too...

FCBayern

graduate
Country
Wow, Kids. What can you do but hope they find happiness. My oldest is married and has two daughters he adores and vice versa. I'm still not completely sold on the Daughter in Law but would never let on, his life to lead. My youngest (36 :yikes: I'm old!) just recently moved from San Francisco to Kansas City Missouri, leaving behind a live in girlfriend of 8 years that wasn't will to change. All you can do is support them and hope they find a happy life.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Fit4Family Can't find your thread to catch up?
Here's how to find her thread, @bickypeg.

Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello @bickypeg

So happy to read about your son meeting someone. Hope it all works out! I have found that it’s hard to be much happier than my saddest child. I know they need to find their way, but it sure is hard to watch the struggle.

Pretty impressive step count. Glad you are making time for some sorting and putting things away. I am longing for a big purge here. I am the only one who knows how to clear clutter around my house and my one arm method has left quite a path of clutter that will be one of my first tasks once I am back on my feet. Glad for your find for your darling granddaughter.

I always find January to be harder after all the anticipation of the holidays. We have to take our tree down today or tomorrow it’s getting dry. I know I will be missing that glow in the corner. Hope you have a good week. ❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats on the step count. You're moving on up! :yes!:

have found that it’s hard to be much happier than my saddest child. I know they need to find their way, but it sure is hard to watch the struggle.
So true, Sarah! And I'll bet it's weighed your heart down, bickypeg, watching your son struggle through grief and adjust to his loss over the past nine years. Too bad there is such a geographic distance between him and his new female friend. It must be heartwarming to see a smile on your son's face once again. It's a great start at moving forward. Hopefully you get to meet her. I can't imagine you won't as you all seem very close. Something to look forward to in February.

I hope you have a great week!
@bickypeg

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
@bickypeg

I am happy for your widowed son.

Think they must have met on a dating site as she loves all the things he does. She lives in Hollywood. He's been looking at flight prices too...
Change the plot a bit and the American movie ”The Holiday” with Kate Winslet comes to mind.

Wishing you continued healing as you come upon your one year mark.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Hi @bickypeg
Hope you're safe and sound. I agree with, Sarah....missing your humor here.
Hope to hear from you soon. Until then, all the best to you! :wave:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hellooo! @bickypeg :wave:

I am guessing that you are doing very well, and have had no time to write on your thread.. I so hope that this is the case.
It's wonderful when our world opens back up to us.. and you have such a lovely family to care for, in fact I miss some of the stories!

Take care and maybe update when you can. :puppysmooze:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom