Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

You're not a miserable bore, far from it, dear bickypeg. Carols and the ballet sound lovely. I'm happy to read you're excited.

I've noticed and possibly mentioned before that you really seem to thrive when you're surrounded by and busy with family. I don't know if those family connections serve as a distraction from physical pain, or if it's just something you long for in life and need like the air you breathe. I find it very sweet and endearing and am always happy to read how you were feeling better. I hope today is another good day!
@bickypeg
 
Hey, you aren't a bore, @bickypeg, the way you are coping with a recovering hip and still hobbling about with the other one aching away is pretty inspiring, I'd say. I agree that arthritis has no rhyme or reason when it comes to figuring out whether things will be good or bad each day. I think the only way to handle it is to just roll with it. If it hurts, then codeine seems a good choice--and if you are feeling relatively good, rejoice in that! I did chuckle at your very early morning arising. I think all of us have done that, awakened too early and groggily mistaken the clock as being later than it is. Of course, once you're up you generally stay up. But the good news is that, in my experience, you'll be tired the following night and should get some decent sleep. Do be sensible about the carols and ballet--if it will make things worse I'd be inclined to skip. But if you can manage some discomfort, I think they would be lovely distractions for you. This is a tough holiday season for you, I realize, but I hate to think of you in such pain and never any fun events to boost your spirits. Hang in there, you are doing great considering how tough things are. And after the holidays we are all wishing and hoping that a cancelation will pop up quickly for you. Cheers, and happy Monday!
 
One day at a time...it's all we can do...and really all we have assured, right?
Hope there is happiness in your day.:roseshwr:
OA pain is indeed miserable and it's frustrating to want so badly to feel better.
 
Couple of thoughts:
1. On the bad days, it is hard to muster up the holiday spirit. I try not to feel guilty about this— we recovering hippies have a lot on our plates.
2. Often a good dose of distraction is just what the doctor ordered. So glad your busy day was so fun for you!!
3. If complaining on the BS forum makes one a bore, them I’m a bore too, and I think we are in mighty fine company. . Seriously though, sharing your troubles and hurts really helps, so share away.
 
I am hoping that today is a GOOD day for you, @bickypeg, and that today the osteoarthritis pain is at the low end of the pain spectrum. We're almost half way through the month of December, so only a few more weeks until the Big Day and then, maybe--lots of fingers and toes crossed here--you'll get that cancelation and can get in for a second surgery. In the meantime, I agree with @Mojo333: take it one ay at a time. Enjoy those days when things are a bit better, and resolve to just tough out the ones where you're aching and uncomfortable. Never be afraid to plonk yourself down and rest whenever you feel like it. This is definitely a time to baby yourself. Again, here's to maybe a better day today here at midweek. Cheers!
 
Yes, how is it going?
Missing you on the forum @bickypeg
I hope all is well with you over the past month.
How was your Christmas? Would love to hear and also get an update on your recovery.
Wishing you only the best in the New Year!
 
Hi @bickypeg
You crossed my mind today. I'm noticing you passed the 6 Month point.
Wondering about you and how you're doing.
Hoping all is well. I miss you on the forum.
Wishing you all of the best in the New Year!
 
Hiya All! Thanks for the kind messages.Christmas was great and very busy with plenty of outings and family gatherings. 9 including the baby for Christmas lunch and I coped fine although much of the food was ready-made cheats. Then the youngest was home for a week, so more outings if only to the local nursery to pick up some hyacinths, and lots of chatting and theatre gossip.
Bit of the usual January slump after he left I suppose as I sometimes feel very alone. Husband is not a great talker and doesn't get up until hours after I do and is a great TV watcher which I'm not. Think I felt somehow if I returned to the forum it would make me even more preoccupied with my health which was starting to get me down again. :sad:Then I got a date of Feb 7th for my second hip! Was super excited of course and a busy week going to the hairdressers, the dentists, checking lists from last time and ordering bits and pieces.
But then the weather got colder and snow and ice out there so I was reluctant to go out which always does me good even if it's just a short trip.So here we are.
1. Pre op assessment all done. Doctor rang the next day to say "don't worry but"...apparently I'm slightly anaemic for a post menopausal woman and my iron levels should be similar to a man, esp as I'll lose blood in the operation. So slurping down iron supplement and laxatives and buying in lots of liver etc! Then panicked today because there's ginseng in my supplement- not to be taken as can cause bleeding.Husband sent out to find appropriate one.
2. Ankle and foot on operated leg still concerning me as it still gets swollen and tight. Especially after being in bed. Both feet get uncomfortably warm in bed which is so odd after a lifetime of cold feet. Sprained left foot years ago so it's always been a bit puffy. Hard to put any weight on it this afternoon which is worrying. Wore heavy ankle boots yesterday, was it them? Tend to use that foot to pull boots off both feet.Still struggle to find comfy shoes I can wear all day.
3. Stopped ibuprofen as suggested. It makes a difference. Paracetamol isn't really adequate for arthritis pain. Had a codeine. Made me sleepy.
4. Still sleeping on my back.Keep trying either side but both feel horrible. Because I'm virtually sitting up my lower back and both hips are stiff when I get up. Mornings aren't great. Wander round trying to find a comfy chair.
5. Mood swings are tiresome and often don't relate to anything going on. Sometimes have a dreadful feeling that this operation will go horribly wrong and I'll always be a cripple. Or possibly die. Or be brain damaged.
6. Had a bad reaction to having my roots done at the hairdressers- itchy and scabby. The last straw to being old and disabled was the thought of being grey!! Though she did just highlights and lowlights last time which was OK though there are still grey bits.
6. Babysitting all Monday. The best thing ever, though the trip to and from Leeds is tiresome. But she keeps me going. Such a delight.
So there we go! Bet you're glad I'm back! Yikes! What a moaner, but you did kind of ask...
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    IMG_20190107_195437_684.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 132
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    Screenshot_20190129-023935.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 124
:wave:and good to hear from you.
That baby is TOO cute!

I do think you should be hopeful that getting this LAST hip done will allow you to recover well and solve some of the other issues you have.
Which hip was done already?
We need to add the date for your upcoming surgery... your Bonesmart pals will want to cheer you on.
We Have Missed You. :roseshwr:
 
Lovely to hear from you again and best of luck with the next op. My hip is stil recovering and stiff in the cold weather but loves the warmth

My ankle swells too so still elevating and using the icepacks...

At least you know what to expect this time. I bet you do just fine! All the best for getting both hips back on track and behaving themselves x
 
You're both so lovely. Cheered me right up @Mojo333 and @SurreyGirl ! Had the left one done last July and the right one is due for replacement on February 7th. I'm sure it will help poor old lefty which I know is taking so much of the strain. I think the cold and ice has been particularly trying - I'm reluctant to go out anyway but it does seem to get into your very bones! Poor North Americans and Canadians on here! How do you cope?! Ankle feels better today - think I twisted it awkwardly perhaps getting those blasted boots off. Slept more soundly than usual -the codeine? - but horrid running away dreams. Then had to hobble/dash to the loo when I woke. Used to have amazing bladder control before the operation. :gaah:
Good to know about the ankle SG. I know they pull it around a lot during the THR so hoping it will ease with time.
Eldest son here for lunch but I'm so full of liver I fancied something tasty so it's fish and chips from the van down the road. There's iron in fish, right?
Granddaughter has a cold so they are worried I'll catch It! But the other grandparents will do tomorrow instead and we'll see how she is Tuesday. She makes me so happy it's almost worth braving the germs but I must be sensible. I do miss being with children; I also miss being useful. Do hope I'll be able to get back to a bit of volunteering in schools before too long.
Thanks for your support!:flwrysmile:
 
There's iron in fish, right?
Fish is a low-fat high quality protein. Fish is filled with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is rich in calcium and phosphorus and a great source of minerals, such as iron,zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.

Good for you!
Do Stay Well...children cheer me as well but we don't need you sick!
Have a peaceful day, @bickypeg
 
Hey, @bickypeg, just a couple more days until second surgery, but you've got this and I predict, contrary to all those silly but understandable fears, that things are going to turn out really well and by summer you'll be bouncing around and so happy with your bionic hips! Your grandbaby is totally adorable, by the way (but I'm guessing you know that already) and how wonderful will it be in a few months to be able to care for her without all the pain and discomfort you've been experiencing. Just as dieters hang a smaller size outfit in their closet as incentive to lose weight, I think you should look at that darling baby and remember that your goal is to be able to comfortably get down, pull her on your lap and enjoy reading her a story or playing with a toy. So, keep your chin up, don't borrow trouble and believe in yourself, the skill and experience of your surgeon and your own will to heal and move on with your life. Truly, brighter days ahead for you!
 
Oh thank you @Barbaraj that's really lovely and I'll try to remember It! You're all so kind and do me a power of good. The first operation went so well I don't know why I'm panicking so much. Everything is all prepared, there are nourishing meals in the freezer and I've been swallowing iron rich goodies by the ton. I am still anxious about my left ankle and the latest neurosis is that I'll not be able to have my hip done because of it. But you're quite right about not borrowing trouble (lovely expression!) I will try to be calm and sensible. Cue for chamomile tea? On a par with liver as far as tastiness goes but I can always spoon some honey in...:loveshwr:
 
Liver and chamomile tea?
Still not having dinner with you!:rotfl:
But seriously, you know I really respect you making good choices for yourself now and I will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best @bickypeg :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom