Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Good day, @bickypeg--just a vote here for the psychological benefits of whatever works for you and provides comfort. I think perhaps many of the rituals we enjoy (not into tea, but love my morning latte!) aren't designed to physically help us but, wow, they sure boost our mood and, for me, my energy and make me more ready and enthusiastic about starting my day. Just finished my morning coffee/newspaper ritual, and should get dressed and scoot out this morning to the gym--my first solo trip! I am excited, and it's sunny here in my neck of the woods which is a HUGE mood booster for me! Sure, it's pretty chilly out there but I'll take sunshine over warmth any day. Cheers, and hope as the week goes on you're seeing little improvements that remind you that, yes, you are recovering nicely and at a pace that makes sense for you. Cheers!
 
Hello @bickypeg, how are you fairing? Anymore indications re: 2nd surgery date? You said you had your joint class scheduled for early Dec I think? Thinking of you on that! Hope that you are as comfortable as you can by while you wait.....:SUNsmile:
 
Aww thank you for thinking of me @Alitm Not great this week for sleep or stiffness /pain but there's no real pattern to it. Had a nice evening at the eldest's and then a day with the granddaughter which was lovely but feel very grim and lame today. Toying with the thought of a codeine as I'd really like to go out and do a bit of tidying in the garden but I also feel very lethargic. But this too shall pass! It's another lovely autumn day though damp. Husband didn't cheer me by telling me it was Martinmas and if fine it's supposed to be followed by a bad winter! But quite right - well on the way through November and Joint School in 3 weeks so I am praying for a January op.( Especially as I just realised I have sat on 7 different chairs this morning and none of them feel comfy! Getting like Goldilocks again...)
 
Hoping things unfold soonest for you @bickypeg. I know what you mean by Goldilocks! I'm praying for a January op for you. I'm sure you'll have a lovely Christmas with the family. Hope you've enjoyed your beautiful autumn day..they are the best :-) We are getting more and more of the Pacific North West fog and damp weather here. Probably similar to where you are sometimes. It has a beauty of its own, but not great for OA hips!!

I know my left hip is kicking up. I'm getting every last drop of life out of her! Finished putting in bulbs last week and was using the golfers reach to do so. Raked leaves etc. I won't be able to use that golfer's reach thing with my first op hip/leg for awhile I don't think she'll be stable enough for a few weeks more at least. Who knows, it is all a mystery to be unfolded!
Enjoy your weekend :flwrysmile:
 
I am just curious, @bickypeg (and perhaps others who know this as well) but what is "joint class"? Is it preparation for surgery by educating you about the surgery (but as you've already had one, not sure of the purpose) or some sort of suggested therapy to physically prepare yourself? I was never offered a joint class before surgery and while I'm sure I could have looked at horrific YouTube videos of what the surgery involves, I couldn't bear to do that. I did try to exercise regularly to stay in shape but, of course, it was harder and harder as each day passed and my hip got stiffer and more uncomfortable the closer I got to surgery. Anyway, sounds like you might be looking forward to this class, and then a January second surgery. Sorry chairs so uncomfortable, but I think sitting in general is tough before surgery for most everyone. Ugh. Still, hope you have a nice day.
 
To be perfectly honest @Barbaraj it's a bit of a waste of time! Hospital physios struggling to get the PowerPoint on to show you very basic stuff about aids and adaptations, and getting prepared for the op. Nothing at all medical! Can't remember much about it except the hospital chair was very uncomfortable but I did chat to lots of really interesting people - an Asian man about fasting when you were a patient, a huge former rugby player who'd had his op postponed several times and a little old lady who only had a learning disabled son to look after her at home (I enquired about her after and she was doing fine phew!) I did come to the conclusion that chronic arthritics are really nice people- as proved by this forum. It was great to swap stories and moans! Think my leg was measured and we had to take in measurements of bed, chairs, toilet etc so they could work out what aids we needed. All brought round within days, free of charge. Plus leaflets to take home re exercises, and drugs and supplements to avoid prior to the op etc. It was pleasant enough. Got coffee and biscuits!
 
But really @Alitm and @Barbaraj you put me to shame! Putting bulbs in and mucking out! Going to the gym! I've done nothing today but sit on various chairs and do online Christmas shopping, with a bit of mooching around the house. Feeling more comfortable tonight but my unoperated knee is sore. It worries me. Hope a new hip on that side will take a bit of the strain. They tell me knees are trickier.
 
You were being sensible @bickypeg and taking care of your knee!! My right knee really bugged me before surgery. It also bugged me in a different way after surgery, but constant icing post-op has really helped it a lot. It didn't start bugging me post op until after the first few weeks. I found that I was walking pretty incorrectly with regard to my foot fall. @Jaycey encouraged me to keep icing and not to worry too much, and @Layla really emphasized heal toeing when I was practicing my walking. They also said to get new shoes as the old wear pattern was detrimental to a new hip. I have really worked hard on thinking about that correct footfall, and it has helped the knee tremendously. I am so grateful for their advices :roseshwr:! It may not be as arthritic as you think, and it could be to do with old shoes wear patterns, incorrect gait etc.?
 
Well, @bickypeg, I think your plan of sitting around, doing a bit of online holiday shopping and trying to get comfortable is absolutely the sensible approach. I'm only off to the gym and PT because I am ahead of you in my recovery journey and no knee pain (although unoperated hip is now achy) but it is all about paying attention to YOUR body and doing what you are able to do, when you're able to do it. And you're just a few months away from more surgery and another recovery so I wouldn't even think about any concerns over not doing enough. I think you've just got to take it one day at a time, cut yourself an enormous amount of slack, and just keeping putting one foot in front of the other. It will get better, but your recovery journey is going to take a bit longer than you'd like--no harm in that at all. Have a great day--I'm sending some of my west coast of the USA sunshine to you, hoping it will put a smile on your face and brighten your mood!
 
Oh thank you! Your sun arrived this afternoon and was very welcome! Lovely autumn foliage as well.
Much better today but I did have a codeine last night. It certainly helped. I think as a back up it's acceptable .
 
Lovely sunshine :SUNsmile: You're lucky, we're freezing and have snow on the ground.
I have a feeling it's going to be a loooong Winter :snow plough:YUK!
Hoping you're having a great Sunday and sending warm wishes for a wonderful week!
Hugs to you :friends:
@bickypeg
 
Agree about the codeine. I had one today after a slight mishap yesterday and it definitely helped. Am going to approach GP for a backup supply.
 
Hi, @bickypeg! Nothing wrong with a drug to help you sleep better (or sleep at all!) I feel as if I can handle things during the day mostly, if I've slept reasonably well. But a poor night's sleep really impacts me the following day and everything seems harder, much more challenging and I'm a major grump! Again, with your second hip replacement looming, I'd do whatever it takes (within reason and with doctor's approval) to simply get through the next month or two as well as you can. Hang in there!
 
I read on another's thread how you order groceries online. I'm envious. I feel allergic to the grocery store.
I'm not one to slowly push the cart, looking for new items, reading every package while I sip on a Starbucks coffee. Nuh uh! I'm IN and OUT! I tried the online thing once on a very cold week during the Winter and I think it took me longer to locate all I wanted to purchase than if I drove to the store, shopped, drove home and put it all away. Not even kidding. I want to hone this skill though because it gets very cold and icy here in Jan and Feb and with my new hip I always fear slipping on ice. I also worry if I order online, I'll get all of the oldest, nastiest produce they have on the store shelf :rotfl: please tell me it isn't so.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@bickypeg
 
No it's huge over here with all the supermarket chains like Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda (owned by Walmart now) in fierce competition. Sometimes things come with short dates but they tell you and you can refuse them. Once you have a list sorted it's easy to run down and just tick what you want. Stops impulse buying but they do email with bargains or new products too. I find food shopping very boring so it's not just convenient. If we want something different like pheasant at Christmas we visit the butcher but it's not easy parking in our nearest shopping centre is it @Apricot ?
 
Just a random page from my 'favourites'. No particular loyalty to Tesco but they were the ones finding the way to our previous isolated home. Lovely drivers too. Only one I'm not keen on and I avoid his day if possible!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    Screenshot_20181114-192328.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 135
No it’s not. Apparently parking charges are going up again. I have to admit to liking Ocado deliveries.

But Booths in Barrowford is a delight I travel a long way for my Pilates rehab so drop in there afterwards. Booths deliver only at Christmas and New Year. They have a Christmas book at the shops. You can order from it online. I’ve done that happily for the last two years. Much less stress than being too late for a local turkey order:heehee::heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom