THR Bickypeg's new hip

At home and resting and the power just went off! Just came back on.... boiler has packed up so relying on an electric heater..

Oh nooooo! Always when there's a cold spell and we hippies need our heat! How's the blood pressure? Hopefully the tablets will kick in soon. So strange. It doesn't run in the family or anything?

Hey there @bickypeg, hope the day is going well and you've recovered from the "wild night" at the Turkish restaurant! I suspect it was probably exhausting but isn't it wonderful to spend happy time with family and friends?Just got back from lunch out with my husband--one too many greyhounds so I'm sure I'll nod off this afternoon after tucking myself up in a chair with a blanket and my Kindle. A cool and overcast day here in the PNW, but a lovely day for a read and vegging out. Threw some bread dough together so thinking soup and homemade bread for dinner tonight! Cheers!

It's been more family fun with granddaughter and 2 sons here all Monday and then we're off to see youngest in touring show this afternoon after looking at another possible house for him. I sleep much better when I'm sociable and go to bed late.
But then a blip this morning when I was on my own, worrying about my feet again and wondering if I'll always be disabled. Feeling guilty - was I always kind enough when I worked in old people's homes as a student? 50 years ago..Does everyone have these random mood swings? (I am aching again on old side for no apparent reason which doesn't help)

So sorry you have a touch of the blues my friend:console2:
Of course I have felt this way and others.
Three and one half months ago you started this recovery journey and I'm guessing it doesn't help to think there could be other issues to address.
I think I also have become reflective about how I have acted when encountering older informed folk and certainly feel like I got a snapshot of some of their struggles during my recovery.
Thankfully there was something to be done to fix things.
Makes sense that when you are by yourself, these thoughts are more prominent.
My advice...chocolate!
And a virtual hug:roseshwr:

Guilt is to the Spirit, what pain is to the Body. Let it go.
Are there no answers for your feet? Could you dig further, see a different doctor or try any natural remedies? Hate to see you feeling blue and hopeless, @bickypeg
Big hugs and healing wishes coming your way. I hope today feels brighter :SUNsmile:

Oh thank you kind @Mojo333 and @Layla it really was just a blip. Shortly after went to look at possible new house for youngest and then on to the theatre (first visit since April) and had tea and cakes. Then as the older boys were off to see Fog at the cinema, 2 of their ladies came round to entertain me and make chocolate orange cookies! I am so blessed. Another lovely day which made the sudden brief onslaught of gloom even odder. Aches and pains also abated. Sitting so long in the theatre was fine too, despite nasty low seats. And walked to and from the car reasonably well.
I must stop posting in the morning when I'm more preoccupied with symptoms. Seeing GP next week so will certainly mention my slightly odd feet.

Ha, ha @bickypeg, good idea to time postings for a time of day when you're feeling more like yourself. For me, it's the end of the day when I'm tired and grouchy and far more prone to whine. Sounds like a good day with house tour, theatre and then ladies, laughter and yummy cookies!

Hi :hi:
I'll bet morning's may feel overwhelming if you're feeling a bit blue, or creaky and stiff like the Tin Man.
When you're not feeling 100%.... looking at the entire day in front of you can feel overwhelming.
So by all means stop by, we'll show you some love and send a few hugs across the pond with warm wishes you feel better soon. :friends: :loveshwr:
Hope your Thursday is sweet!
@bickypeg

:heehee: Come to think of it, my Morning Posts were either more melancholy or more melodramatic.
I was a serious whiner.
We deserve a pity party every once and a while.
Should just pre-empt it with
Warning! Morning Post:

Onward, hippy pal.:tada:

It's so long since I posted I couldn't remember how to do it! Two very good weeks - busy with family and others; sleeping better because of late nights being sociable? And pain kept at bay with usual regime of tablets. Huge hiccup when husband (a cancer survivor) had a recall after a routine test but all was well. But a couple of very painful days and restless nights recently. Stress? or having to empty and cook the contents of the freezer after some dope left the door open?! We've had some weird combinations at mealtimes. Did over a mile in kitchen that day...
Better today and GP not only gave me codeine (for emergencies- haven't had one for weeks) but more or less agreed with everything I was thinking already. Pointed out it wasn't that long until the second would be done and that I would have good or bad days for no reason - it was the nature of arthritis. Called me dear and picked up my stick for me when I dropped it (and swore!)
Managing to prop pillows in steps so back sleeping improved a lot. But tried to sleep on operated side and it was much too painful. Is this normal so many weeks on? It's fine at other times.Though if I press hard along the incision it feels slightly bruised:sad:

My incision still hurts if I press on it - so I try not to :) I cant sleep on op side for too long but I shove a pillow under that side and it helps. Good news about your husband but the stress of waiting for the results can’t have helped!

My incision was tender on up to six months, sorry...that's probably not too encouraging.
All different though!
:heehee:

We've had some weird combinations at mealtimes
When I was small, we lived in Arizona and bought alot of canned food as my dad was military and we got from base commissary.
We stored much of it in a basement that happened to flood and all the labels came off. We didn't know what we were going to have with our spaghetti, could be pork and beans or spinach?
:sigh:

Last edited:
Oh that's very reassuring girls. I guess it's always a bit tender but as it doesn't bother me when sitting or walking I hadn't noticed before. What would we do without this forum? There's nothing else like it!
Love it @Mojo333! One of the boys called in and ate pizza, paella, fishcakes and a couple of sausages in one meal very happily. Sent him home with some salmon ...

Oh, @bickypeg, what an exciting mealtime, not to know what you'll be getting until the last minute as you pick things out that need immediate preparation due to "freezer dope". By the way, my incision doesn't bother me at all, but if I push on it (or occasionally when I pull on a pair of pants) it is a bit uncomfortable--but nothing that bothers me really. I have rolled over on my operated side occasionally, very carefully, and although it wasn't painful it isn't really comfortable--but I've always been a left (non operated) side sleeper and I was so grateful that I was able to sleep on that side immediately, even when I was still in the hospital. If/when I get the left side done, I will have to retrain myself to sleep on my left side, which will require switching sides of the bed with my husband, I know--we are all such creatures of habit, and my bedtime rituals are pretty darn rigid Good to read that the last two weeks have been good and, yes, I think happy socializing does tire you out in a good way, and promote good sleep--all to the good!

My goodness @bickpeg, you have had a busy two weeks! Your mealtime selections sound hilarious due to "freezer dope"!

So pleased that your hubby is OK, and no worries there.

I can sleep a bit on my left side now, and also a bit on my right op side. Don't know if it is coincidence or not, but incision on op leg is off-set from my side, so at a certain angle I can sleep on my right side, and not have direct pressure on the incision, for a bit. So nice to get off the back!

Hi Bickypeg

I keep a can of deep freeze spray in the office and also massage my scar and surrounding area three times a day. Tight fitting trousers do irritate the scar!

My OHealth person said I needed to get up off my chair once every half hour and stretch so trying to do this.

Thanks @SurreyGirl! I have a Radian B spray which I find helps with my knee though I was never quite sure whether the effect was psychological especially as the smell is comforting and reminds me of being very small. Think most of my elderly relatives used it! Worked out by the way that my dad and at least 2 aunts were arthritic. Also several with dementia. Hope that's not an inheritance coming my way...But I'll try it on the operated side. Just thrown away some rather nice trousers I couldn't get past my hips easily. :cry:I must do the moving and stretching more often, especially in the morning when I just want to sit and drink lots of tea.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties