Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

What an uplifting post. It is great to hear how well you are doing! Happy New Year and New Knees!
 
Ok. Sooo I thought most of the swelling was gone from around my knees being as I could see my knee cap. But....overnight....I have bone structure around my knees!!! It’s like during the night my knees really came to the surface. I guess I’d gotten so use to seeing them one way I didn’t realize how they looked with no swelling around them. How weird! I really though swelling would go away slowly... not so much all at once. But hey, I’m good with it! :yahoo:
On to more healing!!! :thumb:

Also, just a little side note....
I guess California, a few miles from San Francisco, there was a 4.4 earthquake the other night. We’re about an hour away...in the Delta. Anyone feel it? I just hate them! :scaredycat:
 
Yay!! What a great thing to see when you first wake up!

I remember a trimmer here about 5 years ago. It's unnerving! Even my cats panicked
 
We had an earthquake here in Delaware a month or so ago and we felt it quite a bit. We were not home at the time and when we got home I found a decoration on the floor and 2 other things out of place. Since no actual damage occurred in our area, I thought it was kind of fun. I wouldn’t have if it had been worse.

And, we were bowling when it happened, and my husband bowled one of his rare over 200 games, we told our kids his game had been earth shaking.

As I said, it was not a serious earthquake, so we had fun talking about it. I would never joke about a serious one. I realize how devastating they are.
 
Beckaroo, I had my bilateral TKA 2 days after yours. I feel good too. I still take Alieve 2 twice a day, but stopped Tylenol. I go to the gym for about 2 hours of exercise daily. No longer icing. They are stiff in am , but stretching and just moving improves it. I can sleep in any position. I might take Tylenol after a 4 mile hike tomorrow, but I know I can do it. After almost 20 years of knee pain, I’m looking forward to a life without knee pain this spring. Yep, it’s hard, but I think it’s worth it. And because it was bilateral, I don’t have to worry about it again. I’m 70, so these should last my lifetime.
 
You are having a fantastic recovery. Way to go!
 
Yay!! What a great thing to see when you first wake up!

I remember a trimmer here about 5 years ago. It's unnerving! Even my cats panicked

:wave:
How you doing? It was something else. My knees have always been my chubby area (hate that) so I was pretty shocked when I realized so much swelling was gone. But of course I over did... it must be physiological...thinking I’m that much ahead of the curve and then going backwards a couple of days! Yesterday I had to pull out the shower chair!! It’s not the knees that bothered me it’s the soft tissue around them! :bignono: I immediately went back to square one, rest, elevate, and ice. Took a good day and a half for that soreness to go. I seem to be good to go now, just have to remember Rome wasn’t built in a day!!

Yeah, earthquakes are pretty nerve wracking! I’ve been in my share...:scaredycat:
 
Even though you feel better, there’s still healing going on in your legs. I went back to teaching part time at 12 weeks post op, but I came home in the afternoons to rest and elevate most days. It may be necessary to watch your activity level for a while, just planning one big thing a day or resting/elevating between chores. Work on finding a balance now between rest and activity.
 
Last edited:
Right when we first start to feel better, that's when we're most in danger of overdoing things. Doing so teaches us a lesson or two, and we learn that we need to listen to our knees --still (sigh)-- instead of our hopes, dreams, joy, ambitions, or optimism. Those qualities, so wonderful in all other ways, mislead us into doing unwise things. Just a little more time spent heeding our slow-poke knees will get us through this danger period.
You're doing wonderfully! And you know how to handle the setbacks. :ice:
 
Beckaroo, I had my bilateral TKA 2 days after yours. I feel good too. I still take Alieve 2 twice a day, but stopped Tylenol. I go to the gym for about 2 hours of exercise daily. No longer icing. They are stiff in am , but stretching and just moving improves it. I can sleep in any position. I might take Tylenol after a 4 mile hike tomorrow, but I know I can do it. After almost 20 years of knee pain, I’m looking forward to a life without knee pain this spring. Yep, it’s hard, but I think it’s worth it. And because it was bilateral, I don’t have to worry about it again. I’m 70, so these should last my lifetime.

Wow!! I’m no where near what you’re doing! What a testimony you have!! I’m drug free, no longer icing...except the other day cause I way over did. I could NOT go on a four mile hike! :scary:
I’m 10 years younger then you! That’s crazy!! Guess teaching Pre-K for 27 years didn’t keep me as active as I’d thought.

I’m in agreement with you... no more knee surgery! We’re DONE!
 
LAST OS APPOINTMENT!!! Woot! That’s a milestone! Saw my OS today, she said my flexibility on both knees is fantastic! Extension on my right knee is so close to zero she’s calling it all good! She said I NEVER have to see her again unless I have problems.

I found out today they used a tourniquet during surgery (standard procedure??) and that I did not need a blood transfusion. She said she’ll never forget my surgery cause we all laughed through the whole thing! You know I was awake... asking all sorts of questions and wanting to see everything. It was a great surgery...

She asked about my recovery so far. I informed her it’s the worse recovery I’ve ever had, and I’ve had my fair share. The very worse was her coordinator trying to get me off my pain meds at two weeks out!! She apologized and said THAT won’t happen again! Good. Cause I was about ready to give that “coordinator “ a piece of my mind!!! :censored:

So, now I’m done with the medical side of things. My new life with amazing knees is beginning to make this Becky girl a happy girl! Glory to God! And.... I don’t have to go back, CAUSE IM BILATERAL TKR!!! Sorry... I’m just so excited!! :happydance:

Now...someone please tell me about the dentist. I usually have my teeth cleaned every three months. I know I have to take antibiotics before going to the dentist... but isn’t that too many antibiotics? I don’t like them much to begin with. Or, should I say, they don’t like me. Anyone else have to do this?

Thank you all for your encouragement and words of wisdom! I’d be lost without you all!! Much love, blessings and hugs! :loveshwr:
 
Congratulations!!! I think you deserve a major shopping trip!
 
What a great post! It's thrilling to read of your recovery!
 
I am just jealous you got to be awake during surgery! I wanted to be, but the surgeon was having none of it. So, off to dreamland I went. ;)
 
@Celle I like that article, but my OS said I absolutely have to have antibiotics up to one year post-op. It’s a Kaiser doctor, maybe different procedures? I’m thinking of skipping a few cleanings just because they make me sicker than sick...which I hate missing.

@Space Knee, YES! I was drowsy but no where close to being out. I remember all of it! Having a bit of a medical background I found it thrilling. I saw the saw machine, they showed me the bone parts they cut off and they took photos for me, not to keep but to see what was going on. If I could have I’d have sat up to watch it better but they said no.

The thing that made us all roar with laughter was when I saw my leg up in the air and a male surgical nurse swiping it with reddish-orange surgery cleanser, I told him “IM ORANGE! You’re giving me the TRUMP SPECIAL!!” It was all in good fun though not necessarily politically correct... I was a little tipsy after all...:rotfl:
 
I also followed my surgeons instructions about taking antibiotics at first, but my dentist was adamant that they weren't necessary.
After the first year, I only took antibiotics for invasive dental work, such as extractions and root canals.

Now, I don't take them at all for dental work - I figured it's my body and I have the right to decide.
Since I made that decision, I have had 3 root canal fillings and no problems with my knee.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom