Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

So happy to hear your progress! Maybe the drain you’re feeling is the fact -you’re still healing—!!!!!
When I was at around 4 months, I went into one of my weekly PT sessions. I proudly announced to Karen, my PT that my right knee was starting to feel “normal” , with my left knee lagging a little behind. But, boy, this was real progress!
She said ok, let’s do a little massage on the knees.
She started on my “goodest knee”
My God I felt like I was in a Russian Gulag being tortured!
Karen then pointed out to me that yes while I was making good progress, but I still have a LOT of healing to go. And she had me look at some photos of the knee replacement procedure.
Sounds brutal but the point was well taken.
TKR is a major procedure where let’s say tissue muscle and bone are heavily “intruded upon”.
You’re feeling better because you are healing. But there’s more healing to be done. I’d follow the urge to rest. You’re body’s still working full time to heal.
 
Well said. The body is really a miraculous thing, but it's not necessarily as quick as we would like in this "instant" world. :)
 
Yes, the energy drain is very real. It just hits you. Usually for me it about 3:30 every other day or so. Wow. I’ve had my share of surgeries, been off work for 6-8 weeks to recover and never felt this drain from any other surgery.

I was just getting back in the swing of things, getting out and seeing friends when my car stopped running!
We live right near the Sacramento River in the Delta, corn fields and vineyards surround us, so you can imagine the critters. Well... one decided to sabotage my car and ate wires!! Thankfully, among other things my husband is an amazing mechanic and it’ll be fixed this Saturday. So at the moment I’m housebound!! Getting lots of rest.
Photo of my poor engine compartment. :heehee: I guess he was nesting...

[Bonesmart.org] Beckaroo's recovery thread
 
Wow, what a photo. Did you see the critter? Thank God your hubby can fix it! This is a good day to do nothing but rest!
 
@Beckaroo I have just read your thread. You have had an amazing recovery. It’s been nice reading such a positive upbeat story. I’ve been on this forum since 2013 and keep returning as I’ve had issues with my left knee. I’m about to have a revision tkr and I am hoping, having read your thread that I may have a recovery similar to yours this time around. I’m so happy for you as you have managed to have an excellent recovery for both knees. I hope to continue reading your wonderful posts as I embark on yet another surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sistersinhim my husband saw the critter. It was a big river rat! Just before my surgery we’d moved into our new home, the garage wasn’t unpacked so my car had been in the driveway. When the rat and nest was discovered we moved the car into the garage, and unfortunately the rat has moved into the garage also! We’ve been trying to get him out but he’s no cooperative at all!! :heehee:

One of our pups is a chiweenie, half chihuahua and half dachshund. He knows there’s a rat in the garage and it’s driving him crazy! I’m afraid to let him loose on it, I want no blood!!

I noticed your tuxedo kitty. I love tuxedo cats! Best personality ever!! :catbutterfly:

@shelli22 thank you! It has been an amazing journey! Now there were a few weeks I was pretty fed up with some folks... but ROM and pain levels were good most of the time. I feel very blessed and happy that I had both knees done at the same time. I’m done!!! I’m excited to read your journey now...

Cute little pup in your photo too. I’m such a dope when it comes to dogs and cats. My last cat passed a year ago. She was 23 years old. Right now we’ve got five small dogs... they keep me busy and one is blind and getting deaf. :dogwalk:

Hugs!
 
@sistersinhim my husband saw the critter. It was a big river rat! Just before my surgery we’d moved into our new home, the garage wasn’t unpacked so my car had been in the driveway. When the rat and nest was discovered we moved the car into the garage, and unfortunately the rat has moved into the garage also! We’ve been trying to get him out but he’s no cooperative at all!! :heehee:

One of our pups is a chiweenie, half chihuahua and half dachshund. He knows there’s a rat in the garage and it’s driving him crazy! I’m afraid to let him loose on it, I want no blood!!

I noticed your tuxedo kitty. I love tuxedo cats! Best personality ever!! :catbutterfly:

@shelli22 thank you! It has been an amazing journey! Now there were a few weeks I was pretty fed up with some folks... but ROM and pain levels were good most of the time. I feel very blessed and happy that I had both knees done at the same time. I’m done!!! I’m excited to read your journey now...

Cute little pup in your photo too. I’m such a dope when it comes to dogs and cats. My last cat passed a year ago. She was 23 years old. Right now we’ve got five small dogs... they keep me busy and one is blind and getting deaf. :dogwalk:

Hugs!

@Beckaroo I am about to start all over again on my journey but if it means the end of pain I’m all for it. The pup in the picture was Benson my King Charles Cavalier. He passed away of heart failure in May. So sad. My sons were so worried about me they bought me another pup a ruby one. Anyway look forward to reading more. I’m trying to catch up on many threads now that I’ve returned again.
 
Last edited:
I had to look up river rat. Man, that thing is huge! It almost looks like a ground hog, it's so big. Be careful around it. You always have to worry about rabies. Good thinking keeping that dog away from it!

I wish I had been able to do both of my knees at once. Now, I have this other one hanging over my head all the time.
 
What a creepy thing to have living in your car!!! :yikes:
 
@shelli22 I’m so sorry you lost your pup. They are here for such a short time. I have one right now that just the thought breaks me up. He’s only four, so hopefully he’ll have many more years. I swear he’s human. He was born a service dog. He’s just that remarkable!

I have no regrets having my knees done. Not one. It’s been the best thing I could have ever done for myself. We are so fortunate to live in this day and age. New knees, who knew!!?

@sistersinhim yes! Huge!! When my husband pulled off the top part of the engine, there were tons of trash underneath. Bits of papers, plastic and straw. Poor creature was probably pregnant and nesting...but not in my car!! This all came about overnight, I’d driven the day before! Hopefully, without a rat under the engine!

@Jockette it is creepy! And now my car won’t run. Hubs has ordered a new ignition for it. He’s an amazing mechanic, but he’s pretty stumped as to why it won’t start. If the rat chewed a wire it could take forever....
 
Last edited:
Update....I’m about four months out now. I not using anything to help me walk or get through my daily activities. I can get into the bathtub, but it’s not the easiest getting out as I’m not comfortable getting on my knees. So I reserve tub bathing when my husband is home! :bath:

I’ve packed everything away; ice machine, bycicle peddler, toilet lift, shower chair, walker, cane, foam wedges, etc. I need none of them...

I’m still not able to walk a mall, or grocery shop for hours. My right knee swell (moderately) my left knee does not. So I use an electric cart. We only do major shopping every other week, next time I’m going to give it a go and see how I do... I have to keep trying.

I’m doing all my own housework, laundry and cooking. I can drive, when my cars running..:groan:
I can go and do many things... I even shopped at Hobby Lobby the other day for about 40 minutes with no swelling! Longer than that I swell.

I’m better than I was before surgery in most areas but I know I’m still healing.

I’ve realized putting my tie-shoes on my left foot is easy, knee bends sideways. Right foot is harder to get my shoe on. I can put them on either standing or sitting...it’s the little things!

One more praise report...
I can slide my foot across the bed and PUSH the covers around!! Pushing the blankets off myself was so difficult before. It killed my knees! Now I have strength in my knees to shove the heavy blankets over if I’m hot! I know that sounds trivial, but to me it’s AWESOME!!

The End! :loveshwr:
 
You are really coming along! What a wonderful recovery you are having!
 
I have a question....

Before surgery I was given a little bag of Gatorade that was extremely high in sugar. I don’t eat a lot of sugar as it causes diarrhea, and that was the last thing I wanted on the surgery table!!

The surgeon wanted me to drink it an hour before surgery. I declined.

But, I was told “they” have discovered this promotes faster healing, and gives the body energy vursus fasting, nothing after midnight....

Is this a popular thought now? That having food/liquids etc. doesn’t cause you to aspirate into your lungs during surgery. I asked but really never got an answer... is this a new medical norm? Anyone know? Thanks.
 
That's the first I've heard of it, but sounds good to me! Being thirsty was my biggest discomfort.
 
Saw your post on being able to push blankets over with yer feet......woohoo!!!!! I totally get that!
That’s one of those victories that stack on other victories
I believe that means you’re healing !!!!!
I’m still improving (not totally cooked yet),
I’ve started getting the concept of speeding down stairs,,not there yet but I feel it coming.
I can haul ladders and tools up and down stairs some days with no discomfort (most days with some)
Still learning patience and still improving 1/4 inch a day. still way on the good side of the tunnel !
 
Saw your post on being able to push blankets over with yer feet......woohoo!!!!! I totally get that!
That’s one of those victories that stack on other victories
I believe that means you’re healing !!!!!
I’m still improving (not totally cooked yet),
I’ve started getting the concept of speeding down stairs,,not there yet but I feel it coming.
I can haul ladders and tools up and down stairs some days with no discomfort (most days with some)
Still learning patience and still improving 1/4 inch a day. still way on the good side of the tunnel !

Rickj!!! Good to hear from you! Yes! You get the blanket thing. It was a huge deal for me. Otherwise, I’d have to sit up and pull them over. When I had the leg strength to shove a bunch of heavy blankets off my feet I was ecstatic! It’s all the little things, right.

Speeding up and down stairs!!! :bow: In my dreams!! Being able to walk down the stairs like an adult and not a two year old would make me scream from the roof top!! Wow! That’s awesome. I sure hope that’ll be me someday. Sounds like you’re doing fabulous!

I “think” I’m ready to try grocery shopping next time, without an electric cart. We shop big, I hate it so go as long as possible until I HAVE to go. Ugh! So it always takes hours and walking up and down all the lanes. I did about an hour the other day and there wasn’t any swelling! I’m not all cooked either. Still healing! :curtsey:
 
I was not able to use those ride on shopping carts, it requires a decent bend to sit there.

We go shopping often so that amount of walking is good for me,in a climate controlled building. And early on the push cart was a great incognito walker!
 
I was able to use the carts and I'm pretty tall for a girl at 5'6". I put my purse under my foot while I had it stretched way out. It worked pretty good unless someone bumped into me. Then it was an OUCH! I learned that you really have to watch out for other shoppers while riding because they do not watch out for you!
 
@Jockette thankfully you were able to walk! Isn’t it so strange how we all heal and progress. I couldn’t even begin to walk the stores! The swelling was too much. But I’m thinking this Friday when I shop I’m going to just use the push cart! I’m ready!!

@sistersinhim your comments made me smile. Oh my goodness, I get so frustrated with folks while I’m using an electric cart!! They act like you’re driving a car and they have the right of way!! It’s not that I mind getting out of the way or letting someone go first, it’s that people can be so rude!! They expect you to move or stop. My pet peeve!! :hissy:

Time for an update...
It seems that for some time (4months and 1week post surgery) my progress was measured by months, then weeks, but here lately I’ve had huge progress daily!!

For example, as I’ve shared my car was damaged by rats. Waiting on one last part to complete the weeks of work my husband has spent under the hood... but, I can’t just continue to sit at home!! I drove our huge extra cab truck with duel back tires and I had to MANUALLY SHIFT AND USE THE CLUTCH!!! It was easy! I have strength back in my knees and legs. Wow! I haven’t driven a stick shift for YEARS!

This last week... NO ENERGY DRAIN! No naps, no extreme tiredness. I can go all day!

This last week... NO SWELLING!! I can stand and stand and stand. Stood the other day and talked to a friend I ran into at church for 30 minutes! Haven’t done that in years either.

This last week...I CAN GET ON MY KNEES! Not for a long time, and only on carpet but I did it. The dogs toy was under the sofa, got down to get it and forgot I might be able too... no problem! It felt a tad weird, but at least I know if I had to I can.

Life has gotten better and better. I’m very happy with my progress! :loveshwr:
 
Oh my goodness, what a wonderful post! I love to read how well you are doing! What an inspiration you are!
 
Back
Top Bottom