BeBe says "Ruh Roh" !!! Not Again

My PT was a big help. He knew driving early was impt to me because I was going to need to return to work in a week. Some of the exercises he had me do worked on the muscles needed to drive comfortably (was also R THR). I tried short distances over the weekend and was able to drive 1/2 hour to work by that Monday. When I saw him that Monday, he asked me if I was driving yet and wasn't surprised I was.

I didn't need to do longer drive like to your OS, though.
 
All good to know. Just made my PT appointment for Feb 6. Fortunately I was able to get in with the woman that worked with me last spring - she actually encouraged me to look into THR as I just wasn't able to do what she needed to see in PT.

I think the driving wouldn't be as big a deal except the route to the OS office is dicey and I think I'd rather drive to NYC :shocked:
 
My surgery Friday has been cancelled.

Found out yesterday I have prolonged PTT labs. I've had a couple more sticks and about 20 more vials of blood drawn and now I'm headed to a hematologist in the morning. Apparently it's a big deal prior to surgery.

Apparently not due to all of the Aleve etc. something amiss with clotting factors. But is dicey because I'm NOT bleeding, not bruising oddly, nothing. I am on no medication except thyroid. And yep this was missed on the first preop labs back in October. I had to redo labs because it has been over 30 days. This was done at my new surgicenter last Friday during my preop tour.

My PCP called today to tell me the THR is off for near future. He had already discussed with my OS, and had made the appt with the hematologist for me. This is the same guy that cleared me for my surgery 3 times in Oct.; only to has the anesthesiologist and OS say no-way-today.
Today when he called he was grim.

I am devastated. This past week has been a struggle to get things sorted out ahead of the surgery date this Friday. It seems I have about a 4 hr window of time, maybe, where I can function somewhat, during the day.
I just can't wrap my brain around this because I'm normally actually quite healthy. Now suddenly I'm 90 years old!
 
So sorry to hear! I'm not even sure the did this test on me preop (or ever). It could all turn out to be nothing except aggravation - I had to repeat a blood test because a number was off. My doctor decided they must have transposed or mistyped a number when the repeat test came back normal.

This is definitely something they have to sort out before surgery, though. They need to know what they're dealing with before they do anything that could have a serious effect.

Take care and try not to worry too much!
 
Oh BeBe, I'm so sorry!
All the emotions and prep involved in getting ready for surgery....and now this.
Unlike Sara, I did have that test during my pre-op. Figured it was routine. I'm sorry something is amiss.
Prayers for answers, comfort and peace as you work through this.
 
Oh @BeBe i am so sorry to hear this. I wouldn’t think thyroid med is a factor, I’ve been on it nearly 21 years.i had all of my blood work yesterday. I have never had a problem with them either, so now I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

While you want and need the surgery, it is important they have any known issues taken care of to increase your chances of success. It’s good you are seeing hematologist today. I am sure his read on the issue will be deciding factor.
 
Oh BeBe. Sorry for this disappointment.
Can't have complications that might be life threatening but don't understand all exactly.
Try not to despair. Surely this can get sorted.
 
@BeBe So sorry your surgery is again off. You have been through so much! Hang in there my friend! Please do keep us updated moving forward. We are here for you!
 
@BeBe so sorry to hear that your surgery has been canceled again. It’s a good thing that you’re seeing a Hematologist, they’ll sort it out. It’s also good that you had more blood work done prior to seeing them today, hopefully they’ll have the issue identified. Coagulation tests are very sensitive to collection techniques, so I’m sure they’ve also repeated the PTT. You should make note if they ever have trouble collecting a blood sample when you have a coagulation test done, especially if the blood collects slowly. Hopefully you’ll be back on schedule soon. Good luck.
 
Thanks for the support everyone! I just realized the "heart" friendly rating means so much more to me.:roseshwr:

I just got back from the hematologist. I will need to go back to see him next week. We are still waiting on the last blood results for confirmation ( will take a week) and even though this looks like it is genetic and not an apparent clotting issue as I have no history of bleeding, this doc is very conservative, as is my OS. Although my OS did not cancel surgery until they heard from me. Even though my PCP told me he cancelled surgery yesterday.

The OS office said as soon as I get clearance I can go on a waiting list as long as I am OK with last minute.
Since my schedule is cleared already then guess I'm in for the holding pattern.

Laying low today, Tylenol isn't cutting it for pain. The hematologist told me to get a cane...:ok:
 
Well @BeBe that’s kind of a good news/bad news scenario but it sounds like they are sorting it out.

Hopefully given the cold and flu season still in full swing, perhaps you won’t be on the wait list long.

Sorry Tylenol not helping. Perhaps some heat or ice? And a cane might help take some of the pressure off when walking.
 
Last minute fine, right Bebe?
Praying all clears, and that you'll be posting...oh my stars, they want me there in a week!
:unsure:
 
@Celle has experience with blood clotting disorders, and may be able to advise.
Sorry to hear you are having this delay, after thinking everything was good to go.
Ask for voltaren and/or lidocaine patches, hopefully a topical will help.
 
Hello @BeBe - I'm very sorry to hear that your surgery has been postponed, due to an apparent clotting disorder. I hope that the haematologist will be able to tell you what is happening and what can be done about it - if, in fact there actually is a problem.

I have a relatively rare, genetic, minor bleeding disorder. It's call Storage Pool Disease. Two out of three of my children have inherited it from me, as well. My blood takes longer to clot than most people's, but it's not as serious a disorder as hemophilia.

The clotting process is complicated, and all the right things have to happen in what they call the clotting cascade before your blood will form a clot properly.
My disorder is because of a lowered amount of a substance called ADP inside the platelets. When I am injured, my platelets cannot release enough ADP to start them clumping together (agglutination), which is one of the early stages of clotting.
So, before surgery or after an injury, I have to have DDAVP, either IV or by injection. This compensates for my platelet deficiency and prevents excessive bleeding.

Once your hematologist has diagnosed your problem (if you do actually have one) he/she will be able to advise you and your surgeon what precautions and treatment should be followed, to allow you to have your surgery safely.

I have had three knee replacements and, with the recommended precautions taken, I have had no problems with bleeding, during or after the surgeries.

I hope your pain settles down a bit while you're waiting for the results and a surgery date. I think it might be a good idea to try using a cane. Use what support you can, to take some of the load off that sore hip.
 
Thank you so much @Celle (love your cats!). And everyone else too!
From what test results the hematologist is waiting on, I suspect he is trying to narrow down the specific issue. At this point I do not seem to have a clotting issue as I have had several minor surgeries, births, and a few involved lacerations in my past, with no adverse bleeding issues. Apparently that in itself is a thing - abnormal labs with no bleeding. This could increase an issue with thrombosis post op, or so hematologist is concerned of this complication.

So I am in the holding pattern...
Wed and Thursday I took a few Aleve since IDK when surgery will be and I cleaned up my garage, organized my pets, raised food dishes, cat boxes, pet beds so I am not tempted to do any of that post op. Today I did more laundry and reorganized the pantry. Tomorrow I will get my horse barn sorted out (with husbands help) and organized to be easier for my son and husband to take over the horse chores. This was all done before but I've thought of a few things extra to do.
I have to stay busy (to stay sane) and what normally takes me no time is taking me forever because of my hobbling and painful body.
I take Tylenol and can hobble a bit better, if I only walk tiptoe, and get a few things done. Yes the cane is in use too. Then ride the recliner and ice ice baby.
 
Hope they get you answers soon @BeBe. But better for them to figure it out ahead of time. You are handling the wait time in a healthy way. Even though things take us longer, it is good to stay busy.
 
Thinking about you today @BeBe - I'm sure it's hard to see so many start their journeys last week and this week with yours having been pushed back. Your day WILL come - just try to be patient as they check everything necessary to give you the best outcome! Your journey has started - it just has a little different beginning than others! :console2::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
And you got to watch the Super Bowl victory and celebrate it without brain fogging meds or surgery brain which makes you forget everything!
 
BeBe is having a rough start :vespa:
She even had a little detour :bicycle2: on her journey.
But look out, when the time is right, she's gonna blow past y'all :bicycle1:

Go BeBe! We're all rooting for you :friends: :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom