BeBe says "Ruh Roh" !!! Not Again

@BeBe I know how you feel similar story to you I basically lost confidence in my first surgeon for what seemed like a trivial reason but you have to feel confident about the person who is going to be treating you, sometimes I am sure these things happen for a reason, not long now ,all the best.
 
Thanks everyone! :thankyou:
I concider myself lucky to have found a new OS who seems to be a genuinely caring individual and the staff is quite competent. Plus I am overjoyed at the prospect of the SuperPath approach!

My recliners will be delivered on Saturday. Yes I bought my DH one also so we have a matched set. It was his birthday so...now I am officially old:wink:
I am once again getting my ducks in a row for surgery - quite hobbled so everything takes forever to get done.

Off to the hot bath :bath:for my sore muscles
Then :ice: all night for my hips!
 
Hobbling time will soon be in the past @BeBe. You will find advance preparation so worth it.
 
Hi @BeBe
I'ts great that you like and feel confident in your new OS and his care team.
I guess the situation with the former was probably a blessing.
The Super Path approach sounds very interesting. Mainly learned about it through SaraK's posts
and mcopt is undergoing that approach also...I think.

Matching recliners, lol! Blankets and slippers too?
Who gets the remote? Enquiring minds want to know :heehee:
 
Hi @BeBe - glad your new surgeon is a big improvement on the original....every cloud has a silver lining :thumb: I got my (lift!) recliner about 3 mths ago and won't sit anywhere else.....I tell everyone it's for my 92yr old dad when he does his annual visit (he's actually a LOT fitter than me at the moment) :heehee: as for the remote Layla, well, 'sigh' Himself still has it.....a mere woman couldn't possibly be trusted to drive a TV :skep:
 
@BeBe interested to hear you are going for Superpath as well, as long as the flu or cold doesn't get me again:bignono: I will be having the same exactly a week from now I know @SaraK has done really well with both of hers and I know of a few others who have been thrilled it does seems to work well they seem to be introducing this procedure into the NHS in the UK the Royal orthopaedic hospital in Birmingham I believe are starting to use it now the procedure just seems to me as a lay person to make sense. All the best we need a superpath club !
 
Love love my recliner. All my furniture is so low.
After a long day of using these new hips...I'm there!
My hubby really deserves one too...maybe Valentine's Day.
They deserve a prize for putting up with us during recovery, for sure.
 
I've got Pain Brain!! Off the Aleve now, and today the Quell and Tylenol couldn't keep up. I think I was up icing until 4am. So naturally I am getting nothing accomplished to clear the slate prior to surgery.

9 days
 
I hated those days just before surgery when they take your meds away. Mine gave me back my Celebrex before the second. I've said it before but I still think they take away the meds to keep you from backing out. :loll:
 
@sara! Seems like that's the ploy...

My OS prescribes Celebrex post op. It's the one med I have never taken for my arthritis issues, maybe I can ask for a script on Friday at preop.
 
I was on its cousin, Mobic/meloxicam before the first (prescribed by first OSand continued by PCP) and then this OS prescribes Celebrex post op. Since then, he started prescribing it for preop as well and doesn't make you stop taking it at all before surgery. of coursen nothing really deals with the pain but you dont realize how muc the meds are actually doing until they take them away.

I assume its universal, but I wasnt allowed to take ibuprofen or aleve while I was on meloxicam or celebrex. Each time I was sick, I'd be told to take ibuprofen for the fever and would have to remind the nurse practitioner that I couldn't double up. It's important that you know what you can and can't take with the meds from surgery because some medical people don't deal with it as often and forget so double-check when you do get a script.
 
I went to heating pad prior to hip replacement...not sure about exact pain RELIEF..but soothed me, took the edge off.
I took so many different kinds of medication with some bad side effects and got no relief at all.
Not long now!
 
@SaraK I too have been on meloxicam (for years til my hair started thinning badly) and used diclophenac for quite awhile also, seems the nsaids are all variations with just slightly differing mechanisms and tolerances.
Where is gets in the weeds is how the combinations interact and not all docs are as up on recent findings.

I'm a bit surprised my new OS does not prescribe anything other than aspirin for anti platelet, with Celebrex and Tylenol for post op pain. Nothing else. Is that routine for SP post op?

Plus I'm supposed to start PT on Monday the 5th. Not sure how that will work since I can't drive for 3 weeks.
 
Mine prescribes Norco 10 - every 4 hours - and gives 10 day supply. I still have partial bottle from first THR and full from 2nd. I only used the narcotics for a couple of days each time (but it was nice to have them then). Ice really does make a huge difference.

I started PT right after as well. First THR was Wed, discharged Thurs and PT on Fri. 2nd THR on Sat and PT on Mon. I could have had in home for first week but turned it down. My son drove me the first week each time.

i was lucky that my OS didnt have hard fast rule on driving. he just said when off narcsn could get in and out without assistance and could safely hit brake and gas quicklyand without hesitating because it might hurt. I was driving in 1 week both times.

Mine also says PT more impt with SP because joint tends to be tighter and stretching more impt. But still make sure you don't do anything that hurts. I had hip flexor issue both times so marches, straight leg raises, etc. were off limits.
 
@Mojo333
My hot tub bath every night really helps settle down the whole body aches I have from the fibro, arthritis other than hips, etc. I also use a heating pad too but have found my R hip needs ice ice baby! And just to be difficult the L hip kinda prefers a bit of heat alternating with ice. Oiy ya yoy!
 
Have you asked about using your fibro meds post op? My OS actually uses slightly different med protocols in hospital (oxycontin and gabapenton in hosp but not at home) but just the at home meds if outpatient. So you might be able to use Lyrica or something similar and may get some relief from that as well. Also keep in mind that they'll probably use Exparel or something similar in the hip that will provide some pain relief for the first couple days.
 
Poor BeBe.
There's a quaint southern phrase for you..
You're on the short rows now.
Guessing it comes from farm picking produce ...
Hang in there...you get to whine about new things next week...but not hips...and temporary recovery junk.:friends:
 
@SaraK
I go in tomorrow for the preop at the surgi-center. And will ask more there about pain meds post op. There is a current bottle of percocet floating around here, I also have tramadol and zanaflex left overs - just a regular pharmacy...

Problem is I am very medication intolerant. I do not take anything for fibro except Aleve now as the nerve meds were a no go for me. Last time I took tramodol I ended up in the ER because it doesn't play well with meloxicam in my body. Less is more with me...plus I have that morphine allergy where I can't breath so...

I will try to get an appointment for PT for the Monday or Tuesday as my husband can take me as he is going to take off work the 5-6th other wise I have no one to drive. And I did ask my OS - he said HIS insurance would not cover pts driving prior to the 3 week follow up appointment with him. That right there was almost a deal breaker with me -- no driving ??!!

@Mojo333 Yep very familiar with the short rows syndrome
No choice here but to hang tough and soldier on.....

All of you who have been there before are such a blessing to us newbs!!
 
Interesting that he's citing his malpractice insurance as a reason you can't drive. Sounds like he's saying HE can't tell you it's OK. Mine just doesn't specify other than to say most driving at 2-3 weeks (and since the first follow up at 4 weeks, he's not assuming he'll ever need to specify). To my knowledge, auto ins co do not have restriction in policy on needing Dr release to drive (if they could, they'd have restrictions on whether to cover you if you'd been drinking or taking narcs long before worrying about clearance after surgery). Main thing is making sure you feel comfortable with it. Sometimes better to ask forgiveness than permission (same thing applies to dancing 6 days after surgery :heehee:)
 
Since this is my right hip I can see giving myself a driving break until I feel competent to function. My OS is about 1 1/2 hours from me and a somewhat dicey drive under the best circumstances. I will have to figure something out as the I have no one to drive me, without major schedule upheavals with their work etc., for my three week follow up.
So as Scarlett Ohara says " I'll think about that tomorrow!"
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom