THR BeBe finally!!!

Hi Bebe. So glad you are done.
This is the rough stuff.
I've been at hospital with father for few days but was glad to see you home and grumping.
That is how I was. My first OS appointment was at two weeks and I told him he sets it that way so I could quit hating him by then.:giggle:
Your body is rebounding from lots of trauma. I didn't do without the pain meds so that I could be less miserable and somewhat more comfortable and stay semi mobile.
So I had to deal with some if the side effects. Agree with Jaycey about trying to take with something and maybe seeing about nausea meds.
All have different tolerances so....Do think about stool softeners to keep that in check .
Sending healing hugs your way:friends:

Glad you are home @BeBe. The first few days can be tough. The surgical trauma is intense at times. I just took pain meds as prescribed the first week. Sometime during the second week my body started stretching out the time in between doses (I would realize I had gone past the timeframe by half an hour or an hour without pain). While I hate pain meds, they did make it possible for increasing movement in early days and that helps healing.

Enjoy sleep when you can, don’t worry about the schedule.

Good morning every one - post op day three
I am back laying in bed from spending the night on the recliner
Still having more pain from jumpy thigh muscles/knees than from the actual hip joint/incision
Still no poop fairy which make this old body miserable. I’m trying Tylenol with Valium this am am going to space out the oxy for today to see what we have pain wise and give my innards a chance to cooperate with all the lax methods I’ve throw at it.
Elevating, icing, trying to walk,every hour or so
I am surprised at the level of pain I have post op even with the oxy q 4 hours. Definitely better when I am up moving walker walking
Need to keep reminding this will be better by this time next week!

Yes, it will be better next week!
I was always surprised at the progress I made, looking back.
I kept track by weekends. Usually had company over or hubs was around more so I could recall more easily
what I was doing from weekend to weekend, as opposed to any given Tuesday.
It's only been three days and so very early into recovery. I'll bet you'll start noticing changes this week.
To better days @BeBe They're coming!

Just keep moving - it will help the joints and the innards! The pain will start to get better - day 2 and 3 were the worst for me each time but improved significantly shortly after that. I also found that the sleep deprivation helps you later because you don't remember the pain as well - those first days are just too hazy!

Hi @BeBe glad you are on the road of recovery!
I remember I had log leg for 6-7 days, and then it was just gone. Whew....
You might want to chug some Phillips Milk of Magnesia for the fairy to come.

My second hip comes on Thursday this week.
Getting anxious. :bolt:

@BeBe I agree with SaraK about the moving. I don’t think I walked around enough and babied my hip too much to begin with—which I think led to more problems with the weak leg muscles. As for the constipation...ugg...i ended up spending most of a weekend in the hospital because I didn’t realize that was my problem. I was able to go after a few days, but not enough evidently. Now I take 1tbsp of apple cider in a glass of water and eat 5 prunes during the day every day and things are working proper again. I’ve heard the magnesium is great too, just haven’t tried it. You are doing great so far and every day will get easier—even if only by a little bit. Hugs

Hooray @BeBe....we got thro it....I've not been home long and didn't have my laptop in hospital, so will have some catching up to do after my nana-nap. Take care, hope your pain levels are good

Hi @BeBe - glad to read your update. Hang in there, you can do it! In a few days, you’ll be in a much better place! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hope the fairy comes soon!

Hang in their Bebe. I was a night prowling, log leg recliner sleeping new hippie too.
Hope all begins to ease soon.
Sympathy and healing hugs!:roseshwr:

I used magnesium for the GI stuff. Worked perfectly. I was much like you at this point in time with my first replacement. Every day things will get a bit better. You’re doing great.

@BeBe @anny so glad you are both on the recovery side! for log leg i put a strong 3' dog leash end on & over my foot & would lift w the short lead part. Hoping the pain subsides day by day for each of you, day 4 was mt 'turnaround' day for me when i realized I was maybe going to live LOL Yall are doing great!

Hope today is a good day @BeBe. Getting our system back to normal can take some time. The pain from all of th cutting a getting that joint in place can be intense to start with, but with movement and some time, it slips away.

Hi all
Post op day 4. Documenting the journey.

I woke up feeling better and functioning better stiffness and pain wise. Thank the Lord. Honestly ! I am able to get myself in and out of bed, showered, dressed. Still with the very jumpy/spasmy legs though so the ES Tylenol and Valium work best for that.
But I did take an oxy before I had PT today. Had to go to a facility for that so felt I needed some coverage.
She (PT) is kind of pushy not in a bad way, but knows what I've been through in the last year. She tried to help with PT a year ago and referred me back to back docs when I just couldn't do certain things. So she could see some things just were not on the menu today.
Oddly though my DH was there and between the two, I felt a bit ganged up on. He just wants what is best for me and his view is PT gets you there faster. Let's just say I had to educate him a bit. PT will be one time per week; I will do what I can easily do and and ignore the rest. And I am walking, concentrating on form. I am focusing on the stretching that makes my muscles feel better. Last thing I need is a fibromyalgia flair! My left hip is also limiting me from gung ho activity and ROM and have to save some PT slots for that hip. So none of this trotting in every other day stuff. Plus I might be looking at hand surgery later this year too.

The next order of business was bowels. Had to resort to an enema, some results. I know!! TMI!!
I have ongoing issues with this, IBSC, and have been proactive with all of my usual tricks. But yesterday and today I could tell I was off my feed, even though I am eating well but lite. Headaches with new nausea, bad cramping. So the protocol continues. I know this will be uphill as long as I continue narcotics. So am going on one oxy per day.
Pick my battles.
The Valium settles the cramping spasms better and my actual hip joint pain is tolerable at this point.

I still have log leg this has got to go!! and am moving like a snail but am limping the other direction because my right leg is about 1 1/2"+ longer than the left now; that is a new weird thing for me.
Question? When OS add length on purpose do they tell you about it? I am assuming this is due to joint collapse? Explains my spasms? Guess I need to start a list of questions for post op appointment.
I have had no contact from OS or his office.

DH is back to work tomorrow but will try to swing home for lunch. I will do more catching up with everyone else tomorrow? Today was better but still kinda busy.
I am looking forward to each day bringing me closer to better mobility. Today was kinda tuff but still forward!

Love you guys:loveshwr:

Do you know that length was added? Sometimes there might be a small amount because of joint space but it's also quite possible it's perception. I definitely had the feeling that the op leg was longer after my 2nd THR (don't remember it with first) but it all settled down in first few weeks and no longer have that perception.

Glad you're doing so well in general. Keeping the pain at bay and dealing with the effects of the meds can be a tough balancing act - especially when you're dealing with pre-existing issues that impact it. I really found ice to be more effective than the pain meds after the first couple of days and iced virtually 24/7 for the first couple of weeks - even after I went back to work.

Take care!:flwrysmile:

Oh @BeBe, you are really in the thick of the first week challenges, but it sounds like you are managing pretty well! Hope things get easier with the meds, digestive issues, and that darned log leg (ugh!!) Hang in there! By this time next week, you’ll be in a MUCH better place.

My leg also feels much longer now, but I know this is because my joint had collapsed. So, I had expected with the new joint, my leg would feel longer, even though it’s just back to the length it’s supposed to be. I am finding that much of the tightness in my muscles is related to stretching them all back out. Everything has to get resettled. Maybe that’s what you are experiencing?

Wishing you restful sleep tonight!

DH and PT ganging up on you. :oyvey:Sounds like you’re taking charge. Cool beans. With first hip PT advised that on off days I do the exercises we had done while at home. This time she advised to just walk in between appointments.

hi BeBe - sorry to hear you're having problems.......I'm not having much pain but the meds make me a bit fuzzy headed and half asleep. Could be a lot worse tho......hope yours is short lived and that log leg soon dwindles to a twig! I don't quite have the log, but someone must have been overfeeding my leg cos it's put on about 10 stone, I swear :) Take care, can't believe it's a week tomorrow since the Big Day

PT will be one time per week; I will do what I can easily do and and ignore the rest. And I am walking, concentrating on form. I am focusing on the stretching that makes my muscles feel better.
Very responsible! YOU know your body...
That log leg is a result of all that trauma and aggravating things won't make it hurry up and do right.
Mine eased after a few weeks...but intermittently still refused to get in the car or up the step when I told it to for month or so.:shrug:
Super early days...all temporary.
Hope today is a Good Day!:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020