Guest viewing is limited

THR BeBe finally!!!

PTL! :welome: AGAIN!!
Big hugs and love to you. So very excited and happy for you, BeBe.
Can't wait to hear more when you're comfy. Hopefully we hear from LL soon too.
Here's your refresher -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @BeBe
 
:loveshwr:yay...BeBe is out! Take it easy and ask for ice. Dont mind us, we will be here when you are up to posting.
 
Good to hear, BeBe! I felt less pain the second time around as well. I wonder if it's because you know what to expect and know it will be temporary so you relax more. In any event, get some rest and take care of yourself!
 
Ahhh the first waves of euphoria knowing you have the surgery behind you...

Initially felt it was somewhat easier but then the nausea, low blood pressure and
Pulse/Ox irregularities kicked in. Not sure I slept much in hospital with all the beeping machinery.

Doc also found I had a few irregular heartbeats post op.
OS came in and confirmed the joint had collapsed with a lot of built up fluid in the capsule
to make for a messy surgery, like the previous one. But my hip seems to be more even with the R!
It feels swollen fore sure but I do not have the lurching gait limp I had before?
Saturday I woke at 3 am and I sat up in the chair most of the day ( not a good plan it was hours) waiting on PT
and my husband so I could get home.
PT had me climb the stairs and do my exercises, heel slides and toe pumps, to prove I could.
I told them I was starting PT AFTER my 6 week check up with OS. Seemed a bit grumpy about that.
Then I forgot my discharge paperwork along with paper prescriptions which I didn't realize until after the
2 hr ride home. That made for grumpy pharmacy.
Finally by 9 pm I was medicated and in bed at home. Too much sitting up all day and ride home
and I'm paying today. Log leg is more painful this go round

Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart for holding me up in prayer and well wishes.
This has been a long journey and not over yet but there's light at THR end of tunnel

@Layla @SaraK @Janene @MammaT @anny
 
Oh BeBe, isn't it?!!!! I was euphoric to have that surgery over. I can so relate!
I'm glad you're home safe and sound and prayer will continue. Ice up, pill up, leg up, lol!
Wishing you comfort. Sending love and a hug!
@BeBe
 
@BeBe - hopefully you've gotten all of the bumps in this recovery behind you now. I can't imagine a 2 hour ride home! And to then not have your scripts! Take it easy and keep the meds and ice going and you'll be right as rain before you know it. You're already seeing the rainbow with finding that the gait is improved now that you're not dealing with a gimpy hip. Get some sleep if you can.
 
BeBe so glad to know you're home......and you must be absolutely shattered! Hope log leg soon goes, and the meds and ice get on top of the pain so that you can sleep. You've had such a rough journey, I'm so glad you're now on your way to the top of the mountain :yes!::friends:
 
BeBe.
So glad you are home after such a bumpy start!
Sounds like not a moment too soon getting shed of that bad hip.
Healing hugs coming your way!:friends:
 
PT had me climb the stairs and do my exercises, heel slides and toe pumps, to prove I could.
Hah! First thing I remember doing when I woke up was asking the nurse what I had to do get the OS to release me - thereafter it was "happy healthy man" theater.

I told them I was starting PT AFTER my 6 week check up with OS. Seemed a bit grumpy about that.
You tell 'em, girl! And you're absolutely right - PT the week of surgery is nuts! What can they possibly hope to accomplish with all the muscles they're trying to target stretched out and offline??!!

Good to see you're back and feisty, BeBe. Keep it up!
 
Sending love and hugs. Hope you're day is blissfully peaceful!
@BeBe
 
Lounging in bed here trying to figure out if this is normal or concerning.
Slept through night on back, legs elevated and iced.
Up early walker hobbled to back door to release the hounds, back to bed,
finally comfy on right side down
Big pillow adjusted perfectly for support of newest left hip. Maybe an hour.
To recliner for breakfast then until around 1 pm
Had to do a small amount of computer work at desk for about one hour.
Sat on my new memory foam seat cushion.
Legs go asleep. Both legs but left worse. This happened before with right hip later in recovery but never lasted.
Got through my work by standing for a bit, then sit, then stand, then go nap on recliner with legs elevated and iced for 2 hour nap.
Legs were fine beginning of nap no pins and needles.

Woke to left calf muscle charley horse pain and whole left newest op leg asleep pins and needles.

New to me because I had log leg last time about two weeks and this time around I have this.
Did you have pins and needles stick with you for hours.?
I took an extra aspirin and no sign of heat or swelling. But still the pins and needles thing no more charley horse.
Doesn't matter if elevated or flat

So great BS guru at large normal or concerning?
 
do you think the pins and needles could be your log leg wearing off, BeBe? And the charley horse (cramp?) because you were asleep for 2 hrs and maybe in a slightly awkward position? Hope it clears up quickly and means you've got rid of log leg for good :)
 
BeBe, I did have pins and needles feeling, more prominent in one leg than the other. Don't recall it being so early out...and it was in conjunction with my log leg!
I would make sure I did my ankle pumps...move that leg about some after napping. Circulation is your concern I'm guessing with the extra aspirin use.
Sounds reasonable. Don't guess pillow is causing any undue pressure under your knee?
There ARE such a wide array of symptoms relayed after THR, I feel like I've heard these complaints before.
Who knows how they had to manipulate this leg in particular and how it is reacting to the trauma?
I hope it eases soon...when do you go for recheck with OS?
 
Hey BeBe,
Thinking of you...Hope you've had a good week.
Hope your weekend is even better.
Give us a shout out when your comfy, bored and missing us, lol.
We love ya! LL too!
@BeBe
 
Hey @Layla !
I'm hanging in and putting in my time. Lots going on here non hip related so have not been on BS as much.
Daughter moving home this weekend. Yay!! Going to settle in Philly so nice and close enough.

Seems a different set of pain cues this hip, still pins and needles/asleep but way less of dead logleg sensation.
Less jumpy thigh pain more actual hip pain. More swelling.
You get what you get.
I'm driving the driveway. Just bored. Easy (automatic and left hip), can't sit
more than 5 min. due to leg asleep.
Walking MUCH better as I am evened up. Husband says I'm taller! Will have to measure. Yay!!

I even can manage about 15-20 feet WITHOUT walker or cane!! But not doing that a lot.
Pain but can do it. What!!? This is such an absolute answer to prayer. Way less limp. TYLJ!!
Then back to recliner to ice and elevate.
I am keeping up better with pain meds, but then have the subsequent GI issues, so there's that little sideline
annoyance. Just yuk.

Should have bought a new computer before surgery
I pop on and read some but it's still posting goofy.

Hope summer is treating you well and those Minn skeeters are not carting you off!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom