TKR Beachy in recovery<

Without a doubt week 8 has been my turning point.
No pain meds as of yesterday. No Tylenol needed either. I can finally see the light. I packed up the ice machine. Occasional ice packs are fine. I have tightness, but not that awful range limiting feeling. And no pain in back of knee. It does bother me some at night, but not a great deal.
Could it be that Groundhog Day is over?

No, it's not over. That darn stomach virus reared its ugly head again yesterday. This time I'm knocked down. The nastiness has stopped, but I didn't get the license plate of the bus that ran over me. Hubs started last Monday and can't shake it. He's just tired now. If course, he worked instead of staying home. :shrug:
I think he gave it back to me. If we're not better by Monday it may be time to go to an urgent care. We are having a few laughs about it. Rock paper scissors to see who takes Tootsie out.
The gift that keeps on giving.
At least my knee doesn't ache like it did. And that's a biggie!

Hang in there everyone! It does get better!
 
I’m sorry you’re sick, again! I hope this passes quickly for both of you!
 
Oh man, just when your knee is feeling better, the stomach acts up again. I pray it's over quickly for you and hubby.
 
Glad your knee is feeling better. I hope you get over the stomach flu soon. It is brutal :sick:
 
Beachy, remember your electrolytes! You lose them big time with dire-rear and/or vomiting--as you know. Potassium and magnesium especially!

--jeff
 
Sorry you are dealing with a stomach virus. That would be really tough on top of TKR. Hope you are feeling better soon!
 
Thanks everyone for the get well wishes.
Gatorade, water, rice, bananas, chicken broth.
Feeling better, no energy.
Hubs is going to urgent care tomorrow more than likely.
We've never spent this much time in bed together LOL. Too bad it isn't fun.

The knee is still doing great, though.
 
At least you can eat some things. That's good news. Oh, and that the knee doesn't hurt, that's great news!
 
Beachy, remember your electrolytes! You lose them big time with dire-rear and/or vomiting--as you know. Potassium and magnesium especially!

--jeff
For the usual soft of tummy bug, there's no need to worry about replacing specific electrolytes. Adults' bodies are very good at sorting them out, once you start eating and drinking again.
In fact, to supplement specific electrolytes without having the results of blood tests could be dangerous.

It's best to rest the gut initially and then gradually start drinking clear fluids. Gatorade, chicken broth, water are all good as a start.

Small children may need medical intervention sooner than adults.

@beachy , I hope you and your husband start to feel better soon.
 
Today is a better day for me gut wise.
Hubs went to urgent care and left with antibiotics. We’ll see if that helps.

Feeling tightness in knee that gets better when I’m walking the dog. I think it’s from crashing in bed for 2 days. Would love to go more than around the block, but it’s so cold. Tootsie is shivering even in her coat. Walking the halls is not very scenic.

Milestone today that backfired. I took the raised toilet seat off to pack it away. Almost fell in the first time I tried it! :yikes: Put it back on.
Hope everyone is having good knee days!:santaclap:
 
The knee has been up and down the last few days. Nothing major. It gets uncomfortable enough at times that I ice and elevate and then it's better. Still better than previous weeks. And my gut is back to normal. Hubs not so much. He's going in for lab work tomorrow.

Tomorrow is 9 weeks post op! I'm being careful not to over do things. All shopping was done online and we're going to our son's for Christmas Eve and staying over. It's been a very relaxing time leading up to the big day. Always trying to keep the real reason for the season! :nativity:

@Jockette
Great pic! You look like a teenager!

@sistersinhim .
The toilet seats at the beach are higher. They're not quite a year old. Strangely, the ones at our apartment are low and the building is only 3 years old.

Hang in there fellow Bonesmarties! It gets better! :santawave:
 
Thanks, that was 2011 and I had just made lifetime with Weight Watchers. (sadly I relaxed my efforts and gained it all back and need to do it again :bawl:)
 
Well, isn’t this fun?

Hubs was admitted to the hospital wed night through the ER and released yesterday. Without going into detail it was something unrelated to his stomach bug. He has a way to go for recovery, but he will be good as new. First time in 68 years he was admitted to a hospital. Good run! Or just plain stubbornness :rotfl:

My knee held up, but is sore and swollen. Hospitals require a lot of walking! And the parking lots and garages! I wisened up and asked about transport and they were wonderful! They have a ton of volunteers that cheerfully take you anywhere in a wheel chair. Patients and visitors.
Now that we’re home the tables are turned and I’m taking care of him and happy to do it.

My son and I took a short walk to the cafeteria one day and a calm and peace came over me that I can’t describe. I shared it with my son and he said “me too Mom!”. It was the fact that we realized how blessed we are. There were so many sick, sad patients and families in the hospital. Hubs prognosis is great. The others (including his roomie) not so much. And the fact that the 3 of us stick together through everything thrown at us. We are thrilled with his care...the nurses, docs, everyone were beyond wonderful. All blessings.

Sorry to go so long. The knee hurts and I’m back to the ice machine and elevating, but I know it’s temporary.
Our move to beach will be delayed, but that pales compared to hubs health.

Christmas came early to our family.
I’ll be checking in occasionally. In the meantime, wishing all of you a blessed Christmas and good health for the new year.
:merryx:
 
I’m sorry your husband has had a bad time but glad things are looking up.

I’m glad your knee did as well as it did!

Your sons sounds like a really good one!

Hugs and prayers to all!
:console2::prayer:
 
@beachy thinking of you and your family and praying as you walk this new turn in the journey. While the twists and turns can throw us we rejoice they are not surprises to our Creator. Blessed Christmas my friend may you keep seeing His blessings
 
Sending hugs and good wishes your way for a healthy recovery for all of you. Glad your knee held up and you are able to provide support to your husband. Merry Christmas indeed! :reindeer::tree2;
 
How blessed you are to be able to take care of your hubby now! That's certainly what a good marriage it all about! I've had to use the transport service in hospitals, too. They are wonderful. All the ones here are volunteers and appear to be retired people! They are still healthy enough to serve the public. What a wonderful blessing for them, too. We're blessed and they're blessed! Isn't that the way our Lord works?!
 
Thank you all!

@DLR .
Beautifully said.

I'm starting to worry about my knee. It's bent. Extension seems worse. It was extremely overworked during the hospital ordeal. And I'm on it a lot taking care of hubs, walking the dog (short distances) 5x day, getting groceries in the electric cart, etc. If I try to straighten it there is pain in the front and back. Can a forum advisor advise please? Is it just severe ODIC swelling? Do I just need to ice and elevate a lot? Thursday was 9 weeks post op. I probably answered my own question lol, but need reassurance.
Thanks!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom