TKR Beachy in recovery<

Sounds like you have a good activity plan -- aside from an occasional visit to the ODIC :snork:. You can always go for an occasional PT if you feel like you're stuck with something or want something else to work on. I have a limited # of visits per year and with my first TKR I stupidly went to PT 3 X wk (until I found BS). I was quickly using up my quota of visits so after about 3 months I cut back and then eventually went once a month for a few months to work on little things or to get some new exercises. You are the best judge of your needs. If you commit to walking and staying active I'll bet you'll be fine.
 
@Jockette
I could definitely walk to pt. That would be my pt LOL. I used to walk the dog by there everyday.
I'll wait and see what OS has to say on Monday, but I'll more than likely be a quitter.

@Newboots, @kmak81230 ,
I want to get back to yoga s-lo-w-l-y. I know I can use the recumbent bike. And walking. And life in general!
 
I like your plan to talk it over with the PT. Since it sounds like you have a good one, you should be able to trust her opinion, still keeping in mind that it is a business for her and your visits contribute to the bottom line.

Like kmak81230, I also have a yearly quota of visits, so had to use them wisely. If that's you too, it might be wise to hold some back for surprises.

Another thought, do you use a machine there that's helping you that you won't have access to if you stoo going?
 
@Teecup .
I do have a yearly quota of visits. I have to see if that rolls over to the new year or starts over. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't think about it. The pt office can check that for me.

Yes, I have access to the everything the pt has. I have a full gym with both kinds of bikes, eliptical, treadmills here at the apartment complex and at the beach condo. I just have to remember to take it very slow and stretch. LOL.....I only have 1 speed ....slow.
I will feel bad about leaving pt. They are new and need all the business they can get. It's small and personalized and I want them to succeed.
 
Can I use a heating pad on the back of my knee?
Pt told me it was ok, but I trust the wisdom of bonesmart.
My therapist told me it's muscles and tendons causing the tightness/pain and should respond well to heat.
 
While putting a heating pad on the back of my thigh, it was also touching the back of my knee (no, I didn’t plan that :doh:) and my knee was very unhappy.
 
I think short dog walks are great for your TKR. If you have access to a recumbent bike that’s perfect as long as you keep it at 0 resistance and not bike for too long.
 
We don't recommend heat anywhere near a new knee. Heat feeds inflammation and causes swelling. Ice retards inflammation and reduces swelling. That why we recommend it instead of heat.
 
On well, so much for heat on the back of knee :sad: but thanks for the replies @sistersinhim and @Jockette . I'm glad I asked.

@KarriB
That's what I'm doing along with everyday stuff. I think that's enough instead of pt. I've been icing and elevating for 2 days and it's finally feeling better. I can't use the bike with any resistance yet. Just thrilled to make full rotations at this point!

It's like somebody pushes me into the door of the ODIC. It's not my fault LOL. I'm paying for it.
 
After a couple of months with my first knee I put heat on the thigh and hamstring (not on the knee) in the mornings - I found it loosened things up a bit for stretching. Of course I did not have a speedy recovery in terms of ROM so perhaps not a good idea. :heehee:
 
At my one and only PT visit, the Physiotherapist put a heating pad right on the knee for about 15 mins, saying it had to be done to loosen up the muscles before the session. I was not happy. :censored: I doubt it helped anyway.
 
It's like somebody pushes me into the door of the ODIC. It's not my fault LOL.
That’s all of our stories and we’re sticking to it!
At my one and only PT visit, the Physiotherapist put a heating pad right on the knee for about 15 mins, saying it had to be done to loosen up the muscles before the session. I was not happy. :censored: I doubt it helped anyway.
Isn’t it shocking how many different opinions there are! My therapists always started me with ice and a tens unit at the sane time, none when we were done. :shrug:

Next time I’ll do my own rehab.
 
Why is there always a word after my user name? I think you said your iPad does that? Why is that?
 
Oh geez.....I usually catch it in time and delete. Worst tablet ever for spell check. It's spell add! Horrible. It's an Amazon fire tablet. Great for everything except spelling. Sorry about that!
I fixed the last post. There was time to edit so I deleted innocent. I swear it's posessed:yikes:
 
Had my first post op (almost 8 weeks!) appt this morning. It's normally 4 weeks, OS was on vacation, so we scheduled for 6 weeks. I had to cancel that due to raging stomach virus.

Finally! All my worries were for nothing. Xray was great. Walking was great. He eyeballed rom. Flex great. He assured me that extension will get better with time. No more pt required unless I want to. I don't want to.

I have a patella button for what it's worth. Glad hubs was with me because I told doc about ODIC on Thursday. Doc said it happens to everybody. It's a catch 22 because you feel better and want to do more. He explained the recovery is not a straight line....gesturing with his hand. Then he made the roller coaster waves to show how tkr recovery goes. I've said that to hubs a million times. But, when doc said it hubs got it. :gaah:
I feel like doc is a bonesmartie lol.

I went with this surgeon after getting a second opinion from a renowned OS in the Baltimore area. I didn't Like him...I know you shouldn't go by that, but my gut was telling me no!
I was right. It was a further drive to my OS and hospital, but even hubs agreed that it was worth it.

Now I have to cancel my pt appointments. I feel bad because they were great and could use the business being new. I'll write a glowing review on their website, yelp, etc.

I still believe I would have been a wreck without Bonesmart!
You have all been a lifeline and a Godsend!
 
@beachy ,what an awesome follow up with your OS:wowspring:sounds like you have progressed so very well!
 
I went with this surgeon after getting a second opinion from a renowned OS in the Baltimore area. I didn't Like him...I know you shouldn't go by that, but my gut was telling me no!
I was right. It was a further drive to my OS and hospital, but even hubs agreed that it was worth it.

Oh, listen to your gut! You did it right. You did your research. You met the doctor. You didn't like the doctor. Your gut said no. You listened.

The one bad surgery I ever had was with a surgeon I didn't like, but he was "the best" so I went ahead. I guess "the best" had a "bad day" with me. Anyway, I firmly believe in listening to your gut, so good for you. And the results... well worth it!
 
Thanks @Mom2Lucy !

@SusieShoes .
I haven't seen my doc in 8 weeks, but I didn't really have any issues except the ER visit and it was being handled by him and his PA within his office. Thanks to Bonesmart I didn't panic if there was a different pain or whatever.
Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to listen to your gut lol!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom