Guest viewing is limited

TKR Beachy in recovery<

@beachy you poor thing. You have so much going on and all of it stress filled. Not an advisor but it sounds like your knee is throwing a full fledged tantrum. Life happened to it and you had to do the things you did. I think that it will calm down but it will grump until it does. You are doing a great job beachy. Sending prayers for you and your family
 
I’ll tag @Josephine

You’ve had to do a lot more activity the last several days with your husband in the hospital, 9 weeks is still early days. Swelling affects extension, too, not just bend.

Like Larry said, it doesn’t take much for our knee to throw a tantrum.

My knee always hurt extra if I was stressed.
 
Thanks, @Jockette . I hate to bother Josephine, but she is so knowledgeable. The knee was feeling so good before. Now, not so much.
 
Beachy... I hope hubby is getting better. I know stress can be a setback in itself. And you are right you are only 9 weeks post op. I find that doing too much too soon puts us in the ODIC and very quickly I might add. I am sure Josephine can give you some advice when she gets your tag. In the meantime take it easy, rest, ice and elevate as much as you can and if need be, call OS tomorrow and tell them what is going on. You have a lot support here on the forum. We are here for you, Schpooko
 
It was extremely overworked during the hospital ordeal. And I'm on it a lot taking care of hubs, walking the dog (short distances) 5x day, getting groceries in the electric cart, etc. If I try to straighten it there is pain in the front and back. Can a forum advisor advise please? Is it just severe ODIC swelling? Do I just need to ice and elevate a lot?
I think you answered you own question - it's not your fault, but I think you have done more than your knee is ready for. Rest, ice and elevate as much as you can, in between doing all the jobs you can't avoid.
 
Thanks @Celle . I figured as much. It's the fact that it won't straighten that concerns me. Is that from the swelling? I'm icing front and back while elevating. But, I've been up and down when I try to elevate and ice. Hubs is resting comfortably now and I've done the grocery shopping and put it away. Hope to get a good hour of icing and elevating now.
I need some elves to help me. :chrissy grin:
 
Yes, swelling can definitely have an adverse effect on extension.

It's still early days , so don't worry too much about extension - it can continue to improve for at least a year post-op.
 
Thanks @schpooko .
Hubs is feeling better everyday. Eating, resting, and getting his strength back. Today after he showered he said " I can't believe how exhausting taking a shower can be". I just gave him the look. He said. Oh yeah, I guess you know. This has been a huge wake up call for him. He's never been hospitalized. And I hope this is a one and done. Now that it's over I'm not stressed. My :censored: knee just hurts LOL
 
@Celle thanks again. That's encouraging to hear. I was doing so well before Wednesday.
 
You'll do well again, beachy. This is just going to be a temporary glitch. Do what's needed to help your husband, and look after your knee as well as you can.
Let the housework go. Only do the bare essentials.
 
Good news that your hubby is getting better. Soon you'll be able to rest that knee like it needs so badly. Then you'll be back to good days again! This is just a little pay back to your husband for his care of you!
 
I hate to bother Josephine, but she is so knowledgeable.
But that's my job, dear!

Can you assess your extension using this method?

1. put your leg on a bench, seat, bed, floor or anything similar but preferably something fairly firm.
2. with not too much pressure, press the back of your knee down - use your leg muscles, not your hand!
3. slide your hand, palm down, under the back of your knee
a) if you can get your entire hand under easily, it's probably about +10 degrees
b) if you can get just your fingers under, it's about +5
c) if you can get your fingers under but it's a push, it's +0
d) if you can't get your fingers under at all, it's -5 or more​


Here's a graphic to explain the degrees involved
[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<
 
Thank you , @Josephine

Extension is +10. It was less than +5, but not quite 0.
I've been icing and elevating all afternoon and evening. I've taken on all the household duties including walking the dog since hubs is ill. We shared all of it before. When he was in the hospital I was walking a great deal just to get from point A to B.

Do you think extension will improve with ice and elevation? I'd hate to regress.

The white kitty is beautiful!
 
Your extension will improve over time, please don’t worry. You’re just over stressing your leg right now and it’s upset.

I had a major set back at 4 months post op. Plenty of recovery time by then to assume I couldn’t have as bad of a set back as I did! It took a month to improve and then my son got married in NJ, so there were 3 days of wedding activities and travel and I once again joined the ODIC. It took longer to bounce back that time because I hadn’t totally recovered from the first set back.

But I did! My bend and extension is now better than it ever was.

You will be fine. Life happens and we can’t always indulge the knee like it wants. Do the best you can with it, and just do the things you have to.
 
Thanks @Jockette My brain sort of knows you're right. But that little voice keeps me worried.

If my son were to be married I think I'd cartwheel all around the church! LOL .Now that would be a setback because I'd probably fall flat on my tush! :spin:
 
I’m 6 weeks post op and I can’t straighten mine as well .I asked my therapist about that and he said it’s because of the swelling and also my quad muscles are still weak but once the swelling goes down and strengthening of the muscles it will come around....Hope this gives you a little insight and encouragement
 
Oh dear Beachy what a lot you’re going through. It’s so hard to keep in mind all the extra strain we put on our knees and relate it back to the pain/swelling.I’m a week ahead of you and still getting stiffness and pain even though I think I’m treating my knee really well !
As your energy comes back you think you can do more especially when faced with a crisis like you’ve had or Extra activities with Christmas. The decorations may have to wait till next year!
 
Beachy I hope you rebound quickly from your small setback. Just remember that is all this is, a setback, you will continue to heel and progress. Right now your knee is telling you that it is unhappy. Give it some TLC (as much as you can right now) and all will be well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom