TKR Beachy in recovery<

It's great that you seem to have found a good PT therapist. Good ones are like gold dust. Hang on to her.
 
@Jockette
What’s wrong with palpating the kneecap? She didn’t move it or anything.
 
@beachy thats Fantastic sounds fab to have someone who listens and encourages without putting a guilt trip on you to bend or straighten your new knee:flwrysmile:
 
Well, my PTs called it manipulating, or mobilizing, and they wiggled it around for several minutes. It didn’t hurt, but after I found Bonesmart several weeks later I learned here that they really shouldn’t be doing that, it’s not necessary, and they should just leave it alone. Maybe @Celle has better information about it.
 
IT's OK to just feel the kneecap, but I can't think of any reason why she should. What I think is completely unnecessary is "mobilizing" the kneecap, which is something that many US PTs seem to think necessary. It isn't. The kneecap will gradually become mobile as healing progresses and swelling reduces.

I've had three knee replacements here in New Zealand, and spoken to several orthopaedic surgeons. No body here seems to think that mobilizing the kneecap is necessary.
 
@Celle .
I used the wrong terminology. She felt all around my kneecap. There wasn't any movement by her. It did feel creepy though! I've been afraid to touch it.
Thanks for clearing that up.

@Jockette can
Thanks for tagging Celle!
 
4weeks and 2 days ( but, who's counting lol) post op.
[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<
 
Looks really nice!
 
PT did the patellar mobilization with me in sessions before it broke. Hmmmm...
 
My PT guy moved my knee cap around, and I have moved it up and down and back and forth. Don’t know if it helped at all ,but it hasn’t hurt it either. Probably just one of those things that certain therapists picked up. If it bothers you , just tell him no.
 
@Motherbone
:holysheep:That scares the you-know-what out of me! What did they do to you?
She didn’t move mine. Just felt around it...lightly. Is that the same thing? I’ll def talk with her about that tmrw.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom