TKR Beachy in recovery<

She didn’t move mine. Just felt around it...lightly. Is that the same thing?
My PT did more than this, he wiggled, moving it, etc. I’m sure he had a particular “rhythm/choreography” for lack of a better term. They mostly did it in the early weeks. At the time I didn’t know any better. I think most PTs think they have to “do” stuff.

After a year and a half of reading the advice on Bonesmart it is now my opinion that “less is more” in this recovery, the body knows what it’s doing, and I should just “allow it the privilege of sorting itself out”, probably my favorite quote from Josephine.
 
@Jockette
Whew! That’s a relief! No wiggling or moving of mine.
I love some of Josephine’s sayings. Even if it’s not the same terminology we use in the US you can understand the gist of it.
 
I need some advice from those of you who have slept on your side please.
I’m 4 weeks and 3days post TKR.

Woke in recliner about 2:30am ( legs elevated on lounge doc as always) and got in bed. Tried sleeping on side with pillow in between knees. Operated knee on top. Slept a few hrs and woke up in pain. Needed ice pack and elevation. Knee was swollen and sore. I had to take 2 dilaudid. Been icing and elevating all day.

Is that normal for side sleeping? If it is I’m not doing that again! I think the lounge doc got lonely :loll:
 
I was only able to sleep on my side for short periods for several months after each of my TKRs. Longer than that gave me the same symptoms as you had, beachy.

I think you did all the right things, but it's just that your knee isn't ready for side-sleeping yet. Although some people can sleep on their sides even early in recovery, others can't.

Maybe try again in a few more weeks?
 
@Celle .
Thanks, I was wondering if it was just me. I learn something new everyday in this recovery. I'll be on my back with lounge doc tonite.
 
I still can’t sleep on my side. Thankfully I’m very comfortable on my back with both legs elevated!
 
@beachy She moved it around and up and down using her fingertips and hands. It did not hurt at the time. However, knowing what I know now--that installing a button on the undersurface of the patella required some thinning of that surface--I probably would ask that not be done because the patella might be more vulnerable than other peoples' to weakening with manipulation. If I have my other knee replaced in the future I will definitely be more cautious about what I am asked to do or undergo in PT.
 
I'm a stomach sleeper normally, so side sleeping is as close as I can get, and I do it every night at some point. I tuck a microfiber throw between the full length of my legs, bend the bottom leg (older TKR, non-operated for you) then place the baby knee leg behind the other. That way I get a spacer between hips, which is good for IT band, and I can either stretch my top leg straight, or bend it to spoon the bottom. I hug a fluffy pillow in front for top shoulder support. Very comfy!
 
I don’t know if I have a patella button, but I can see something on the patella on my X-ray, so I think I do. I’ll have to read my operative report again and see if it mentions a button. It would be nice to know for sure.
 
Hi Beachy !
Glad you found a good PT ! I like the structure (and the heat & ice) and find it helpful. Hope yours continues to be as good as they sound. And your knee photo looks great.

I have just now started trying to sleep on my side. I can usually only stay there for about 10-15 minutes, then sort of toss and turn, and generally end up back to back sleeping again as well. But it feels so good for those moments to be able to be on my side !

And before surgery, I used to ask my 14 year old to gently mobilize my poor kneecap -it really felt good. I wouldn't let him touch it now, though ! Do we have kneecaps still ?
 
I was able to sleep on my side for short periods, too. I laid on the side of my tkr knee, keeping it slightly bend. My good leg was bent over my tkr upper thigh. This worked for a few hours.
 
Another successful pt session today!

I'm still a bit swollen and sore from the side sleeping fiasco. She looked over the knee agreed it was swollen.

Rode the bike for 8 minutes. Slowly making rotations and rocking. Then some gentle calf stretches. Then a quad set pushing back of knee into table. These were also gentle. Then a nice knee massage. I told her to please avoid my kneecap and that was no problem. She said she had no reason to touch it anyway. Then ultrasound to help with swelling. A few more exercises later she said the extension looks better than Friday. I asked her to measure it. It was a 5. Getting better. She didn't measure flex nor did I ask.

The exercises are done slowly, stop if it hurts, no big deal if you can't do 10 and she doesn't touch me.

I came home to ice and tens since its literally across the street.
And I can honestly say it feels good to go to pt. It feels good to move, to walk, to get stronger.

She said I did great considering I was not having my best day with the swelling and some pain. It's nice to have a little encouragement.
 
@beachy for side sleeping my pt suggested 2 pillows if operated knee on top and 1 pillow if on bottom. This routine works for me, though I admit my bed looks like a tornado hit in the morning
 
@DLR .
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to wait awhile until I try side sleeping again. I'm fine sleeping on my back if I have to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :loll:
 
While chatting with a lady at pt today she mentioned Blue Emu Oil. Has anyone tried it? It's suppose to help with inflammation in joints. I'm wondering if it's today's version of snake oil LOL!
 
I came here to check out your recovery to see if my progress was on point and also to check on pain med levels (my docs want me off after a week?!? ) - but question - we aren’t supposed to shave while on lovenox??? Really? Why? Danger of nicking yourself? I did my underarms last night so I wouldn’t be in danger of being drug to Woodstock or something. Looked like i had a troll doll in a headlock...

Eww.:eeeuw:
Today I can start taking the dressing off. It's Prineo Derma something. It's still attached. Doc office said to start peeling it off after shower and use a little Vaseline to ease it off! Just EW!

Some came off already and took scabs with it.
Insult on top of injury.
I have to stick a needle in my belly every day.
Now I have to take off my own darn dressing?
My legs need a deforestation and I can't shave them (or use weed wacker) until I stop the Lovenox.
And I don't know what type of cane to buy.
WAH wah wah:sigh:
Rant over. Thank you.
 
Blue Emu is good - I think Arnica gel is better. I’m alternating that and a CBD topical that works wonders.

While chatting with a lady at pt today she mentioned Blue Emu Oil. Has anyone tried it? It's suppose to help with inflammation in joints. I'm wondering if it's today's version of snake oil LOL!
 
My massage therapist used Arnica oil on my thigh and calf muscles. Felt great!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
@beachy I just wanted to tell you how much I love your recovery thread. You have a way with words and a sense of humor about your experience that is just awesome to catch up with each day. It really helps me chill out a bit and not be so anxious about my upcoming TKR in 5 weeks. Thanks for continuing to make a massive recovery so enticing to follow. :rotfl: I am THRILLED things are going well at PT and that you can now not dread going. :thumb:
 
Hi @beachy ,
I haven't visited BoneSmart recently but I've been thinking about you and am glad to hear that things are going in a more positive direction! Getting a good PT can make a world of difference. How lucky that you found one so close by also.

I'm about to post an update about my own recovery (4 weeks yesterday -- hooray!), so take a peek at that thread for more details. It's so much better being in this post-op, healing stage than dealing with the pain, uncertainty and stress of anticipating surgery.

Keep on doing well with your recuperation and enjoy that time when you get to the beach! :wave:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom