TKR Beachy in recovery<

The only thing I can think of is that I have been more active lately.
There's your answer. Your knee isn't even a month old and you are doing way too much. Increased swelling and pain is the proof.
 
So, girl, you know what not to do! Your knee is boss, not you!
 
Yep, doing too much. At this stage, you have to pick and choose what you can/want/have to do. For instance, either a light chore or short trip to buy one or two things at grocery store (and right now, that might be too much). It's frustrating because you want to be doing something but your knee doesn't - and it wants all of your attention.
 
Yes, ladies you are right. Lesson learned. Mischief managed.

@Laurenkate
Good idea about choosing 1 chore at a time. Even a shower counts as a chore.

I keep a running “to do” list. It keeps my mind from imagining all the things I’ve let go. When it’s in list form it doesn’t seem so bad.

I had my usual pain meds at 8 pm last night. Fell asleep by midnight, woke at 3, fell back asleep, woke at 6 with very little pain! That was 10 hrs without pain meds!
I would do a cartwheel if I could!:yahoo:
 
I'm guilty of doing too much as well.... I'm so tired of sitting around, of tv, of knitting, of reading, of....everything! LOL. I'm fidgety. I must keep reminding myself that I *am* doing something....healing!

I'm reading and catching up. I just paged back far enough to see your failed out patient pt story! OMG, I go today for my first visit. I am nervous. I know I'll stand up for what I believe, as you did...but i dont want to have to! If that makes any since. Why dont they listen??!
 
Last edited:
:wowspring::dancy:
I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt that today....day 25.....is my best day so far!!!

Swelling is down. Pain is down. 6 1/2 hrs between pain meds and none during the night. Trying to gradually get to 7 hrs. Then 8. Then none.

I did a few small chores. 1 load of laundry. Made coffee, oatmeal and a salad later. Little bit of tidying up. A shower and hall walk. Walked half of what I've been doing. In between the chores were I & E. I hope I have it down to a routine for now. I also did some heel slides and quad push.

If only the poo fairy would visit. May need that stick o'dynamite soon.

@Neehutchy
I was very disappointed with outpatient pt. The first appt was great. She said if it hurts don't do it. 2nd time was my regular guy. That I requested. He couldn't have been bothered less. And made condescending remarks when I couldn't/wouldn't do squats! My right knee was making crunching noises!
I left after icing and haven't looked back.
You researched and spoke to your pt by phone, right? You will have a good experience.
Keep us posted.
 
I am really surprised that the PT you worked well with in the past treated you like that. Did you do your prehab with him
 
@Jockette
Yes, same one. I started last spring with him for my lower back. Excellent results. Then before tkr he helped me with bursitis in hips and some prehab. He has his doctorate and is taking a course in dry needling. He always helped my issues. Maybe he had a bad day, but don't be rude and dismissive. Or expect me to do squats. That's why I was so disappointed.
I make myself do heel slides and quad thing everyday. And I make sure I take a walk and adl's. If that's not enough for now....too bad LOL.
 
IMHO, you need to avoid formal PT (and especially that guy) and just do your ADLs. And btw, also IMHO, you're doing too much and need to have more patience. :wink: Believe me, if anyone knows how much we chomp at the bit to get moving again, it's me, but I also know we need to let our knees recover before we start asking them to carry us through our days. I'm glad you're feeling better, but just take it a bit slower.
 
@lovetocookandsew
You’re right. I tend to see how far I can go and now I know. Yesterday was the perfect combo of ADL’s and a little pt. The day before I did too much.
Trial and error.

I read on your thread that you’re still struggling with swelling. Sorry to hear that. Is it any better?
 
Tomorrow is 4 weeks. Hard to believe. I’m so anxious to get back to my normal life. But, patience is a virtue that I pray for.

I’m tapering down the pains meds. I was able to go from 2 dilaudid every 6 hrs to 7 hrs. For 2 nights I went 10 hrs when I didn’t take before bed or during the night. I’m trying 1 every 6 or 7 hrs and Tylenol. I was so nauseous and constipated. Tapering down the pain meds and taking the stool softener with laxative has finally helped.

Pain is tightness and maybe a 2-3 while walking. No pain when I’m off my feet.
My back hurts worse than the knee while walking. It’s the same problem I’ve always had.

I don’t need the walker and use the cane a little.

Still icing like an Eskimo. And elevating.
Does all this sound normal?

After much research I found a pt group that I’m going to try tomorrow.
I called and did a phone interview. I asked how they treat TKR patients. The pt I spoke with said each one is different and they go by how the patient is feeling that day. They don’t follow the carved in stone protocol.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Hey hope that new PT place works out for you, and by now I think you know how to take charge so they don’t push you around. Again I remember that 3 to 5 week period was very frustrating, so keep pushing on , and with any luck you will see the gains I did between 6 and 8. By no means healed, but in a much better place in terms of walking,sitting and standing, and being able of getting some semblance of normal back
 
Pain is tightness and maybe a 2-3 while walking. No pain when I’m off my feet.
My back hurts worse than the knee while walking. It’s the same problem I’ve always had.
Exactly .... exactly, what i just said to a friend today! I was so hoping getting the knees done would calm the back down. It was mangeable, the knees weren't.
 
@Softtail
Hoping the worse is behind me. I’m sure there will be some 1 step forward 2 steps back times, but I can handle it. It can’t be as bad as first 2 weeks! Good to know that a few more weeks and there will be more improvement.

@Neehutchy
This just reared it’s ugly head a few days ago. It’s the same problem I’ve had for years. Hoping pt will be able to help that.
You had double trouble! And both knees recovering. Hope your back issues go away. Far far away!
 
This just reared it’s ugly head a few days ago. It’s the same problem I’ve had for years. Hoping pt will be able to help that.
You had double trouble! And both knees recovering. Hope your back issues go away. Far far away!
My back has been an issue for years, herniated disc at L4/L5. I've had itband and preformis issues as well as sciatica. This is nothing new. I was hoping the knee surgery didn't further injure the back. When i woke up in recovery my first thoughts were, "ok, both legs are still there, i can sorta move them..now how does my back feel??
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom