TKR Beachy in recovery<

Good job Beachy!! I also left PT after they hurt me and am now doing my own excercising at home. BTW - I'm also in Maryland! We are so fortunate to have so many great hospitals at our disposal.
 
@beachy looking good girl!

It looks like the swelling has come down a lot. Keep icing and elevating.

I took a picture once a week after surgery for the first 14 weeks. It was easier for me to see improvements (and get encouraged) this way.

Keep up the good work!

Leslie
 
@DblDn65
That is inspiring! And you having BTKR can do it too!

@halesgirl
We go between Harford County and OCMD. Moving to the beach full time in March.

I just read your recovery thread. In spite of the bad PT it sounds like you’re doing great!

Where did you have your surgery? I went to Union Memorial. And will never go back. My surgeon was wonderful, though and I’m very pleased with his staff and the good communication. The hospital was a different story.

Thanks @2@atime!
 
@beachy sounds like you’re doing well! It’s good to hear! I’m from Harford County originally, born and raised! I miss Ocean City ..boardwalk fries with lots of vinegar! Such good memories spending time there:swim:
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 
Hi, Beachy. Great Pics. I have my first PT on Wed. and if this does not go the way I say Bye, Bye PT for me too. I have asked for a certain person also like you did. But who know if he is like he was before. Did you hear what happened to Larry re PT. PT really scares me....that is why I put it off. I will be 5 weeks out Monday. You are doing great and you are in control of your own knee destiny :loveshwr: So forget what that awful PT guy said and did and carry on, my friend... :yes!::happydance::yay:
Schpooko
 
@beachy , I didn't check in here yesterday (since it wasn't such a good day for me), but I was sorry to read about your PT experience. There's just no excuse for the bullying and intimidation that seems to happen far too often in the context of post-op PT. However, I'm glad to hear that at least you were able to have a nice walk outside plus spend time with your son and the dog. Your determination to have a great recovery and your positive attitude are the most important factors for a great outcome!

I feel fairly fortunate in the PT department overall. Even though the PT who came to our home 3 times (once for evaluation and twice for brief visits) didn't seem too effective, it was easy enough for me to transition to the local outpatient PT program. My first "regular" visit was yesterday morning and I'm sorry to say that the after effects are entirely my own fault. The positive feeling of being able to do some exercise (i.e., including 7 minutes slowly extending and bending on a Nu-Step) led me to join the ODIC. I kept wanting to do more "reps" of several exercises, including those done while standing at the parallel bars. Later in the day yesterday, my staples came out -- that was a lot more uncomfortable than I expected, including some bleeding. The PA applied Steri-Strips over my incision, so between the ouchy feeling of the exterior and some soreness underneath from PT, my knee didn't have a happy evening or overnight. I used a lot of ice, including in the overnight hours. Today is a little better, but I will definitely back off with the intensity of exercise for my next appointment on Monday. The PT did say something about "Let's see how you feel and how you are tolerating this" so it's not a complete shock that I simply was too enthusiastic! I need to remind myself to be patient and allow my knee to heal on its own time.

One huge accomplishment that happened this past week was joining my husband for dinner at our favorite casual pizza restaurant in Belmar, NJ, which is a coastal town about a 15 minute drive from our home. Other than the evaluation at PT on Wednesday, plus the two appointments yesterday (PT and OS office for staples out), I have not left our house at all. Thursday evening was lovely here, with the weather a little warmer and no wind. I can't describe the overwhelming feeling of sitting across from my husband in a restaurant (!!!), enjoying a Caesar salad and pizza. He and I kept looking at each other and smiling like it was our first date. :friends: The restaurant wasn't crowded and it was easy to get a table (rather than a booth) to both accommodate my walker and make it easier to get into/out of the chair. If you are mobile enough to get out of the house a bit, I would greatly recommend doing something like this to feel more like yourself again. I'm sure your husband would also enjoy a change of scenery!

We had a nice visit with our granddaughter and granddog this morning (while both parents were working) and that was fun. It was short enough but long enough, if you know what I mean. My husband took our granddaughter to one of the free kids' workshops at Home Depot, where she built a helicopter model. Seeing ordinary things like that happening (whether they involve me or not) gives me confidence about being able to enjoy doing family things again. I have to keep remembering that once this healing-from-surgery pain goes away, things will feel better in my knee than they have in years! :wowspring:

I hope you and your family will have a wonderful weekend. :spin:
 
@flsungirl .
I did read that you are from the HdG! My son lives there. Beautiful town. We call it Mayberry on the Bay.
Looking forward to getting back to the beach in a few weeks when I can tolerate the car ride.

@schpooko .
You're wise to put off pt. I can't seem to find that heaven sent therapist who can understand that one size does not fit all. You're doing great too!

@NanaBeach .
Look at you going out on a date already! And babysitting!
I'm not ready to sit long enough to go out. Mind is willing, knees not able.
Great progress for you.
 
I had no interest in going out for lunch, or anything else that wasn’t required in the early weeks. I was going to PT 3 times a week because they told me to and I didn’t know any better. :doh:

At 4 weeks I started seeing my chiropractor the other 2 days a week and it was hard to go to these things as car rides were very uncomfortable.

Not happening next time. Maybe the chiropractor, definitely not the PT.

I did go watch my friends bowl once, I sat with my team with my foot up on my husband’s bowling bag. That was nice, probably between week 3 and 4. But I only did that once.
 
Last edited:
So, today I started a physical therapy journal starring Beachy (me) as both therapist and patient. When finished I may consider selling the rights to it for a film:rotfl:

I can compare day to day or every few days as to the progress I'm making. And to police myself so I do it everyday. I don't have one of those thingys that measures ROM. But, that's ok. If I'm getting a good stretch it has to help. I didn't do all the reps when therapist wasn't looking anyway.

I had a good day. There, I jinxed tomorrow.
Woke up stiff as usual. And my gut! Ugh...stupid pain meds. But soon the poop fairy arrived and we had a productive visit. Twice. TMI for sure. I

I was up more than usual, but in small spurts. Majority of day is still icing and elevating.

Walked for 18 minutes. Yes, I'm a nerd and set my alarm on phone for 9 minutes to turn around.
Did some pt heel slides and the quad thing for extension. It's uncomfortable, but I stop if it hurts. Can't do 10 yet. Maybe by tues. It has to help, right?

New pain med regimen has been good. I can go every 6 hrs with nothing in middle of night. Soon it will be every 8 hrs. Xtra strength Tylenol twice a day.

Now, don't be jealous, but I cooked chicken tonite. Hubs made salad. Chicken took 12 minutes in the air fryer. I highly recommend these life changing gadgets! I buy the chicken pre marinated. Any thing for the sake of convenience.

Whew! I'm sure that's more excitement than you all can handle for now.:tiredwheel:
Happy healing, Bonesmart Buddies!
 
@ Beachy - I had my surgery at Mercy Medical Center and cannot say enough good things this hospital. The Ortho Dept is all new with private rooms and the most amazing nurses. And my surgeon was one of the best and she specializes in women's Ortho. I knew the minute I met her she was who I wanted. I have recommended her and the hospital to quite a few people recently.
 
Beachy - I've just discovered the BEST physical therapy in the world....a sick dog. Our little terrier mix hurt his shoulder (again...he and I seem to share arthritis issues). Anyway, we have to carry him up and down the steps inside and out and when he yelps and is in pain, around the house. Carrying him up and down the steps is out for me but otherwise, I've been doing a lot of lifting, holding him up until his leg warms up, etc. All this is really helping my leg extension... *sigh* So glad he only weighs 20 pounds....
 
Hey Beachy the end of this coming week will be a month. Wouldn’t be surprised if you see some major gains between week 5 and 7. I found during this time frame I could sit much more comfortably for long periods and stand much longer. Something to look forward to.
 
@beachy sounds like you have had quite the time with your physio. I was very fortunate with my in home and now with my outpatient. It makes me sad to hear stories like yours especially because for me what I find most helpful from them is the deep tissue massage, the dry needling of muscle knots and their help isolating the correct muscle to engage. I do want to give you some hope perspective, at 11 weeks I have times walking where I forget my new knee and it’s only the pain from the other knee that I notice. Hang in there, if you start having muscle pain consider chiropractor or massage therapy. Our muscles do have to learn to react properly after so many years of compensating for pain.
Thinking of you my friend.
 
Thanks everyone. Your words, sharing experiences, good wishes all make me feel so grateful to have joined this forum.
To you :cheers2:

For the last few days I'm having increased swelling and that tight band feeling all around the knee. I'm elevating toes over nose with extra pillow on lounge doc and icing.
The only thing I can think of is that I have been more active lately. I like walking daily. I like being able and wanting to do small chores. If I think I've been up to long I park it in the recliner and I & E. I can deal with it, but it's kind of really because it's new. Any suggestions as to where it came from and what to do?
 
@Laurenkate .
Sorry your pup is not well, but you're right.....puppy snuggle are the best!

@halesgirl .
I'm glad you had a positive experience. I'm thrilled with my OS and his whole office. I had almost no bruising and not a lot of swelling. Of course, the knee was swollen, but that's it. Si, for that I'm grateful.

@Softtail .
Thanks for that. It does give me something to look forward to. I know it's coming. I just want it now LOL!

@DLR
Thanks Diane. Your PT sounds great and that's what I was hoping for. It makes sense to not overwork the knee to the point of swelling. I am really disappointed with pt here. I was kind of looking forward to it and learning something and then helping me. Oh well.
I'm so happy that your knee is feeling good! I hope all your joint replacements are in harmony now.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom