Guest viewing is limited

TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

@Barnmom22 I started to feel a little less emotional when I started driving and able to do a little more. My stomach stopped bothering me around 5 days ago and I feel like I have a little, and I mean little, more energy. As far as walking a little further, 10 days ago I walked approximately 1 mile at the mall and was fine, last Sunday I went to the grocery store for a few items and was exhausted, so who knows.

I'm glad you are able to sleep a little better, Tylenol PM may be gentler on your tummy!!!
 
So happy you're seeing some improvement Barbara!! Nothing at all I can offer better than this from Marian!
Try not to concentrate on day to day changes but on week to week and month to month. Consider what you can do today that you couldn't do on day one. You are moving closer to where you want to be now that your arthritic knee is gone.

Ok, I'll try for something. :heehee:

I'm at 12wks now and still have days that I can only get around on my knee for 8hrs with an occasional sit-down, if that tells you anything. HA!! Not bragging- just saying recovery does happen!

Before you know it you're going to be lounging in the evenings here on BoneSmart offering your story to others making their way through recovery-!! Hang in there and replace thoughts of frustration with thoughts of the Bay!
 
Not bragging but wanting to share some joy. Today at 6.5 weeks post surgery I was able to kayak twice on this beautiful bay. The second time I went out and saw the light on the water and cried. I cried because I realized I have turned a corner and am on the road back to my life. I said my thanks to the universe and my higher power. And wanted to share it with all the Bone Smart friends who helped me through the darkest pain filled weeks.
[Bonesmart.org] Barnmom22's recovery thread<



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Beautiful! So happy to hear you've turned a corner to normalcy! :happydance:
 
I'm looking forward to getting back to kayaking, too. Did you have any problem getting in and out of the boat? That's my biggest fear. Even before this surgery I was unable to get out of the kayak except in water that was about thy deep. I'm just afraid I can't get out at all now!
 
@sistersinhim great question! My husband held the kayak steady while I plopped down in it. I cushioned my back with a life vest. At the end of my ride he and a friend hoisted me out. I could not have stood up on my own. Not for a long while I am sure. But once I was in it it was just me and the boat and the water and the sunlight and I was in heaven


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was wondering how you got in and out. But while you were in the kayak you weren't actually on the knee, so that was great!
 
I'm so happy for you, it sounds like you have turned a corner and are doing great.

Thanks for sharing your special moment!! That's a beautiful picture.
 
I'm so glad you got to enjoy yourself like that! I sure you had a ball and could actually forget about the knee!
 
I'm 7 weeks post surgery today. I seem to have been posting every Wednesday and notice that I have far fewer complaints and questions. Maybe this will be my last post yet I know I will continue to care deeply about the well being of every brave soul who faces these surgeries and all the compassionate kind people who reached out to me on Bone Smart. I am about to leave for my last P T session of the summer and then I am escaping until Labor Day. In September I will return to work and am relieved that a lot of my patients are asking for September appointments. My bank account is depleted but I realize now I was foolish to think I could return to work in four weeks. Even now I feel the ebb and flow of energy and it's unpredictable to know when it will flow. I also continue to ice as often as I can and know it's the best pain reliever. I still have a slight limp which I worry about. I think it's because my extension is still not zero. ROM Is good--over 120 at this point. I'm sleeping better but still wake once or twice. And the oxy generated intentional issues are abating but not totally gone. I know I needed the oxy and morphine but what havoc they played with my systems. All in all though I can see the light of normal down the road. I couldn't before and in the early weeks when I sobbed with pain and or depression I thought my physical life was over. Silly me. So to all you newbies who are in the early throws of recovery I say please have more faith in your recovery than I had and in a few weeks time you will be posting encouraging messages here too.
 
LOVE reading this. As I get ready to face this monster head on, always good to read that there IS light at the end of the tunnel, and not a train speeding towards you..

Keep up the healing, and feeling good..
 
I am so happy to see that you are doing so well. Enjoy your vacation!!!
 
Your scar looks great! You are doing so good! I love reading these wonderful success stories! This journey is long one that teaches us patience. Having gone through this will help us to better help someone who needs our experience.
 
@sisterinhim how wise you are and right on target with my thoughts about how I've become much more understanding of disability and the stresses of surgery. I thought I knew but I did not. There are some things one can't fathom unless you've been through it yourself.

@ Dianehelen I beg you to control your dread. I did not. I tortured myself for weeks with every imaginable calamity including the BIG one. I wish I had spent that time more pleasurably. Maybe that's just par for the course. Soon you will be healing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So so so happy to read your positive post! I have no doubt you'll be ready for patients in September. I hope we hear from you again.
 
Wondering how you're doing and if you're ready to start back to work...
 
Hello. @KarriB. Thanks for asking. I am in the car headed back to NYC and starting back work tomorrow. The good news is that my knee is almost pain free and not worrying me at all. The bad news is I woke up with a neck pain 8 days ago and it's not relenting. Now traveling down my shoulder and arms. I'm guessing it's unrelated to knee but wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Could be stress? Could be from overuse to compensate for leg like when pushing up from a seat? Treating it with ice and heat and Biofreeze. And looked up exercises on the Internet.

Karrib how are you? You are always so kind reaching out for everyone. Tell us how you are progressing please.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am so happy to hear that your knee is doing great...sorry about the neck pain, can it be a pinched nerve??? Those can be very bothersome, if you have had it for that long maybe a call to your GP can help, I have had pinched nerves before and a muscle relaxer usually does the trick.

Good luck with going back to work, let us know how you are doing from time to time. Wishing you the best!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom