TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

Here I am five weeks post surgery. I hate to be a Debbie downer but this morning I am feeling discouraged. I don't think I've had any improvement for a week or so in rom or extension and I worry about plateauing. Is that a thing? I am doing gentle p t 2x a week. Tomorrow I will be able to start walking/perhaps swimming in a pool. Mostly I'm confined to home icing elevating light cooking. Playing with the dog....basically going stir crazy. I have decided not to return to work until September. I think the sleep deprivation is taking a huge toll on my healing and mental attitude. My interrnist doesn't want me to take sleep aids. She actually thinks it's good to get up a few times and walk around to avoid blood clots. Question: how long after tkr surgery are blood clots a danger?
 
There is an article in the Library on blood clots.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/attachments/blood-clot-leaflet-pdf.9765/

This is a long recovery, that's for sure. I don't know where I was at 5 weeks, except back in the hospital. But I know what you are speaking of, I had massive cabin fever during my recovery. At 5 weeks though I'd think you could go out to lunch or dinner if you want, being sure to elevate or prop the leg up while you're out. Lots of movie theaters have recliners now, that was my plan, but it never happened. Getting out to lunch or breakfast with friends helped me feel a bit normal and broke up the monotony of the day. Think back to where you were 2-3 weeks ago, you've come along since then.
 
You are being too hard on yourself, going out to breakfast or dinner was doable but it still takes a toll, I'm 6 weeks + 2 days, last Sunday we went to the mall and lunch and I was able to enjoy it but needed a nap when I got home. Yesterday I started to clean the house, cleaned kitchen and bathroom and needed a nap...what you are feeling is normal, by five weeks we are really low on patience and are very hard on ourselves.

I don't understand your doctor, walking to avoid blood clots it's great but not in the middle of the night...the benadryl works for you and it's not addictive so why don't you use it, I do, I used it prior to surgery, I don't use ever night, but if I have a couple of sleepless nights then I take it. My OS wanted me to use teds hose for 6 weeks to prevent blood clots, I stopped at 5, not really beach attire, lol

I'm glad you are not going back to work until September, I was basically stuck at home also, started really driving this week, my surgery leg is the right one also, and I wanted to make sure I would be safe on the road.

Remember what you are feeling is normal, just be patient, you probably still have swelling, I do, that affects your ROM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As Clara said, going out can be exhausting. If that is what you do, it should be all you do for the day, just rest and ice the rest of the day. But sometimes I needed to see the world and feel like a normal person.
 
Thanks @KarriB and uva55. I did read the blood clot pamphlet; it was reassuring that all the appropriate measures were taken. I think today I am a bit depressed because I let all my patients know I won't be returning until September. I feel like I've let them down but right now I know my limitations and I can't be of use to anyone feeling so fragile. I'm 65 and have been working for 43 years. One would think I'd lighten up and give myself a break. Today my big event is P.T. at 3:30. But tomorrow I get to leave steaming hot NYC for five days by the water and where there is a warm pool. I'm hoping some hydrotherapy will turn me around.
 
You care about your patients and it's understandable how you feel, but right now your well being comes first.

Enjoy your get-away :swim:
 
I hope your trip out of the city is rejuvenating. Remember to ice and elevate in the car or you'll be miserable when you get to your destination.

One thing almost all TKR patients realize is that we have to take this time to focus on ourselves, not always an easy task when so many of us are focused on caring for others.
 
Awee @Barnmom22 I hope you find some relief with a change of scenery. As I inch closer to my time I hope I remember all these great posts of encouragement when I start whining.

Give yourself some breathing room, as others keep saying this is apparently a long slog thru to get to the other side.

Where ya going? :-) have a good relaxing time.
 
@dianehelen thanks for the encouragement. I'm ending the day more positively as my pt said I was doing well for six weeks. But I'm five weeks today. rom is 110. Extension still not zero but I think it's improving.

We just bought a place on the bay on the north fork of Long Island. Tomorrow I am going to swim for first time in months. Can't wait.

I hope your husband is out of hospital now and resting comfortably.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
north fork of Long Island.

Oh lovely, I guess that's suffolk county, shelter island area. Nice farm stands out there. Be careful with the waves if you go in the ocean.

No, hubby still in hospital :-( , hoping he will be ok for my surgery. Grrr more stress

Have a wonderful time.
 
@Barnmom22 Most nights I am sleeping pretty good, not a straight 7-8 hrs. But usually go to bed sleep a couple hrs, get up watch t.v. for a hr or so and then return to bed for a sound sleeping of 4-5 hrs. I sleep on my side, I've been very comfortable, the only time I hadn't been was when some therapy sessions got my leg achy and restless. I've been taking hydrocodone for pain, mostly to help relax everything and sleep. Usually take it about a 1/2 hr prior to bed time and then unless I am up at the time for my next med dosage I don't take anything further till I get up and that's tylenol. Only taking the pain med at bed time 2 tablets. I've felt a bit foggy lately in the morning, but I think my allergies have been flaring up also, usually take that med everyday, but haven't been so good about it since my tkr surgery.
Had a good doctor appt follow up today, which in turn was like a ray of sunshine for me, I need those boosters to help keep me going and in a positive spirit.
 
Here I am five weeks post surgery. I hate to be a Debbie downer but this morning I am feeling discouraged. I don't think I've had any improvement for a week or so in rom or extension and I worry about plateauing. Is that a thing?
5 weeks is a difficult time. Your leg is still in the "angry tissue" stage. You feel as if you've already been recovering for long time and you think you should be able to do more, but your leg says "Not yet."
Your ROM Is excellent for 5 weeks, so don't worry if you have a little plateau. Plateaus do happen, as part of a normal recovery. I think of them more as being a time when your knee is consolidating the progress it has made, before moving ahead again.
Question: how long after tkr surgery are blood clots a danger?
Once you're up and about, the danger of blood clots decreases dramatically. Your doctor is probably being a bit cautious, bu it's not a good idea to lie completely still for 8 hours, or so. A night-time walk to the bathroom should be adequate, though.

I don't think many doctors prescribe sleeping pills so soon after major surgery. Remember that sleeplessness is also a normal part of this recovery. Remember this article?
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
So, for now, don't worry about your sleep pattern. take daytime naps. Sleep where you an, how you can and when you can.
I think today I am a bit depressed because I let all my patients know I won't be returning until September. I feel like I've let them down but right now I know my limitations and I can't be of use to anyone feeling so fragile. I'm 65 and have been working for 43 years. One would think I'd lighten up and give myself a break.
You aren't letting anyone down. In fact, you're doing your patients a service by acknowledging that you will not be able to help them properly if you aren't feeling well enough yourself.
right now, you are the most important person and your job is to take care of yourself.
I'm ending the day more positively as my pt said I was doing well for six weeks. But I'm five weeks today. ROM is 110. Extension still not zero but I think it's improving.
You are doing extremely well. There are people here who would be very envious of your ROM.

Be kind to yourself and kind to your knee. You're both doing great!
 
Just caught up on your recovery posts Barbara! I've been out of commission for a few days.

I'm one of those that would have LOVED having your ROM at 5wks-!! What I did share with you at 5wks was that desperation to be recovered and on my way.

Our minds can really work on us when in this type of recovery. Had it not been for BoneSmart and my friends here I would have gone looney!

So glad you're now at your new blessing on the bay where I'm sure you are receiving wonderful mental therapy!

[Bonesmart.org] Barnmom22's recovery thread<
 
Yes, enjoy your time away! I hope you're sitting in a chaise on a beautiful deck. The office and your patients will be waiting for you in September.
 
Here's my six week post surgery update. Oy gevalt! Overall I am doing well. My rom improves every day just through normal activity. Extension still not zero but getting there slowly. I've begun to get some sleep thanks to one Advil pm at bedtime. I take Advil during the day to stay ahead of pain. I'm still queasy and nauseous at times but I can tell my massive intestinal glitches are beginning to resolve. This morning I had to make an unscheduled visit to OS because a tiny scab still lingered. Turns out it was a stitch abscess which he plucked out with tweezers. Said it could have become infected. Whew, glad it's out. I still can't walk very far comfortably. When does walking oh let's say a half mile feel easier????

My emotions are still up and down and just today I figured out that they rise and crash with my energy levels. Yesterday I cried for a long time and also felt drained. Today I'm buoyant. I hope this is normal and will even out given healing time. Overall I know I am having a very good recovery and am digging down deep every day to find reserves of patience and gratitude for the goos result.
 
I think at 6 weeks or so was when I had my emotional crash, crying and feeling helpless and dependent on others for everything. But it passed. It's gone. I hated having to have others drive me places, particularly as I've been independent for so long. And of course I thought I'd never recover fully. But time does heal. And your new place on the North Fork sounds like just the place to be right now. Your ROM is excellent for 6 weeks. Things will look different in a few weeks, after your stay in LI. You'll return rejuvenated for your patients.
 
Sounds like you are right on track. Emotions are all over the place. I was a mess for lost of the infection, crying etc., but then somewhere around 2 1/2 months I got very nasty. Boy did I feel bad, of course it was those nearest who felt it.

I hope your time away was relaxing.
 
That's good your OS took care of that stitch for you before it caused any problems. As KarriB has said you are about where you should be as far as your emotions. Try not to concentrate on day to day changes but on week to week and month to month. Consider what you can do today that you couldn't do on day one. You are moving closer to where you want to be now that your arthritic knee is gone.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) in itself can cause stomach irritation. You might want to take a little bit to eat before you take it. That may help.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom