TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

Great to hear from you and that you're doing so well! Yay! As Celle said, stairs will come eventually.
 
That's a good report. Those pesky stairs just seem to be the last hurdle for many after a TKR. You'll find that sometimes you'll be able to do them and sometimes they are more difficult. The time will come when you don't even think about them any more.
 
I have steps going out into the yard that have handrails on both sides. I used and still do use them to teach myself to go down them the normal way. It feels great to be able to do it! If you don't have two handrails, maybe you could use one rail and a cane in the other hand. I think it's more of a confidence thing than anything else. I was terrified of falling down them. I still won't go down them without holding on to at least one side.
 
One year anniversary--amazing...
I'm amazed that I am at the one year mark. It feels like yesterday that I was at one week. Then one month. The recovery was very hard for me but I am happy to report that all the wise folks who wrote on this site that improvements keep on happening for a year or even more were so right. Until a month ago I couldn't walk down stairs one foot over the other. Now I can. It's still not the most comfortable movement but not impossible any longer. I can walk for miles. Get in a and out of the kayak unaided and generally go about my busy day without much thought at all to my knee. I have abandoned tennis--don't want to risk injury or undue wear and tear--but that's my only sacrifice thus far. My other knee seems fine although I know it's possible I might face a second replacement some day. I'm not going to worry about that now though. I'm just going to enjoy my relative health and the gift of pain free mobility. I hope all who are newly recovering or those who are facing the surgery and are afraid will take some comfort in knowing there's a beginning and a middle and a very happy end to the challenging recovery. Then you are just living your life once again.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi, Barnmon22, it's great to hear from you! Doesn't walking naturally feel wonderful?!
 
Nice to hear your great report!!

I read on your earlier post about beeping at security.
Next time don't even go through the metal detector, just have them use the body scanner if they have one available. Just tell them you have an implant and it will scan and it will only show where the metal is and that's the only part they have to search.

Once you go through the metal detector and beep there is no going back and they are required to do a full pat down and those are not fun!
 
Happy Anniversary! Good to hear things are going well for you!
 
Happy to hear how well you are doing at the one year mark. Congratulations!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom