Guest viewing is limited

TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

Happy to hear you're progressing with little knee pain. I think your neck or shoulder pain could be from using it as you said. Also, (this sounds ridiculous) but an old pillow can cause neck pain as well as sleeping with cold air blowing on your neck. If you don't begin to feel any relief you may need to call a doc.

I am glad you held off work for a while, as now you seem ready to begin with a clear mind. Hope all goes well, I'm sure your patients have missed you.

I'm doing just fine. My left knee is holding up as I just cringe at the thought of surgery for it. I'm heading to the Delaware shore next week for my retirement fall vacation. I'm looking forward to less crowded beaches and villages than in July, when I was there last and usually there with the family. I'll be turning 60 with toes in the sand! So hoping my left continues to hold up walking on sand! Thanks so much for asking!
 
@KarriB your vacation plans sound perfect. And now that the hurricane is gone the weather should be beautiful for you. Are you having your other knee operated on? If so when?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It needs done and many would've already had it done. I cannot use it for steps, my RTKR does it all. However, with the complication I experienced I am waiting as long as I can. Infection is no fun and I will most likely be on meds for the rest of my life because of it. I can't even think of going through another infection. But when it decides to give up the ghost I won't have to work around my school schedule, sick days, worry about substitute, teachers or my students. I can just have it done.

My BFF who had a TKR a year before me and needs a revision from my OS is seeing him today because her knee blew up to the size of a cantaloupe over the weekend. I've never liked going to see Drs., however I LOVE this guy. He helped get me through the most difficult time of my life so I'm happy to see him today with my friend, although I'm worried about her TKR.
 
@KarriB yikes. A year old TKR and it blew up now? I didn't know that could happen. And yes I know you've been through the worst hell with your horrible infection. Who could blame you for not wanting to risk another. On the other hand I tend to think lightening doesn't strike twice. Also you seen to have faith in your OS. That bone on bone pre surgical pain was so hard to endure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh no, her TKR is 4 years old. It's been wrong since it went in. She's a petite 5ft 1 in and the revision specialist said the implant is too big for her bones. She was limping and in pain a year after the TKR. We'll see what the revision OS says this afternoon. I'm hoping it's nothing huge because she's heading to the shore with me.
 
Tomorriw is 12 weeks post-surgery. Three months. I can't believe it's that long. No pain in knee. No swelling. Sometimes a little sore and tired especially at end of day. Just saw my OS for a check up. He said my recovery is excellent. 120/0. He said he doesn't need to see me again except...

I have a punched nerve in my neck shoulder arm for two weeks. He prescribed p t and naproxen. Did X-rays. Nothing amiss. Going back in 6 weeks. Sigh.

I don't know what happened to neck. I suspect I overused arms pushing up from chairs. Or maybe it was too much swimming and kayaking. I felt such joy bring active again. Like a kid. Guess I overdid it. But I know it will pass and I am grateful to be getting my life back again.

I still lurk on Bonesmart and root for all to recover and regain their active lives as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great to hear you've had good recovery, and no pain or swelling.
Sorry about the pinched nerve, sounds very painful, but hope that improves soon.
Don't be a stranger on BoneSmart, it's really good for others to read about recoveries like yours.
Tabby xxx
 
What an inspiration you are for me! You are already doing the things that I want to do! You go, girl! That ole nerve won't hold you back.
 
PT did take care of a pinched nerve in my lower spine when I was in college, then it never bothered me again. I'm so happy to hear things have progressed so well for you! :yay:
 
I had a pinched nerve in the neck years ago. Lots of PT and chiro and TENS and antiinflammatories later, it resolved. But your knee recovery is phenomenal. Enjoy that new freedom.
 
Thanks everyone. I saw a p t yesterday who was excellent. Will see her again a few times. She and I both think it was caused by overusing right arm to push up off seated positions. My quad is still not fully recovered. So apparently the knee bone IS connected to the neck bone!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's been a couple of months since I've posted. I am now 4 1/2 months post surgery. For the most part I am doing well and am grateful for the absence of pain. I can walk about two miles comfortably but then I tend to get fatigued and sort of achy in the operated leg. I wonder if this is par for the course and if my stamina is likely to increase. Perhaps others who are further along in recovery can let me know their experience and recommendations for increasing stamina. I am back at work full time. I am a therapist and sit for 45 minute sessions and can't fidget or walk around except between sessions. I have started using a footstool so I can extend my legs and that helps a lot. As for Meds, I was taking 6-9 Advil a day because I got a stiff neck in August which has now mostly subsided. So I am now trying not to take any Advil to give my liver and kidneys a chance to recover from all the Meds. Emotionally I am still trying to sift through some strong feelings surrounding the terror leading up to surgery, the trauma of the hospital situation, the physical pain and humiliation of early recovery, and some lingering worries about long term vitality. All this pales in comparison to my gratitude for the availability of the surgery, my relatively good recovery (though I worry about infection still and am afraid to go to the dentist) and the likelihood of a 20-30 year run with this bionic knee.
 
Barnmom22,
You are still early in recovery, as you heal the fatigue and aches should slowly go away. It takes a year to fully heal from this surgery.
Sounds like you are having a good recovery, have patience.
 
Wow! Walking two miles at 4-5 months is great! I was still experiencing some fatigue as well as tired leg muscles at 6 months. When I began swimming at 8 months I could only swim 3-4 laps to start and had to build up. My leg felt fine, but I was so tired that was all I could do. It took a month to build up to my normal 15-20 laps a day. It's good to hear from you again!
 
Barnmom, nice to see you here again. I am now 8 months past my replacement and my recent and current goals have been to increase my walking stamina. Aren't you the one who went in a kayak early on? Well, initially I could barely walk a few blocks before becoming very tired. Little by little I just walked further, helped by the good weather we were having. Now I have increased it to not yet 2 miles, but probably almost there. i do get fatigue in my leg after a very long walk, but resting it restores me. I think that by just keeping at it you will notice improvement. I am amazed at how much I can walk comfortably now.
The hardest thing for me is standing still. I sang in a small concert today with my chorus and standing for an hour in one spot was brutal.
I've been to the periodontist once, and go again tomorrow. I take 2 gms of Amoxicillin and don't worry about infection. I will likely take it for the foreseeable future. Of course the fear of infection is there but I try to keep it contained.
I hope you can continue to process the trauma surrounding your surgery and emerge from this strong and confident.
Take care.
 
As you get further along in your recovery your stamina will continue to grow. I did nothing more than living my life and I just seem to have gotten stronger as time goes by. I've also been to the dentist twice and took a dose of antibiotics prescribed by my OS and have no problems with infection. My dentist doesn't require them but my OS does.
 
Eight months post surgery---amazing to me that so much time has passed. Flew for the first time last week. Walked through security and alarms blared. TSA agent asked if I had metal on clothes or jewelry. I said no. Then he asked if I had any metal implants. I said no then laughed as I remembered my knee. A thorough patting down followed. Guess it was a good thing that I had forgotten about the implant.

Feeling 90% recovered. Once or twice a week if I'm on my feet all day I get aches on operated leg. Still can't walk down stairs comfortably but can easily walk up one foot over the other. Rode a bike a few miles last week. Felt joy.

If anyone has advice about walking down stairs I'd appreciate hearing from you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I think that walking down stairs will gradually become easier. It can take a long time for some people. When you think about it, walking downstairs does impose quite a strain on a new knee. It's a bit like trying to do a one-legged squat, while maintaining your balance as you step down as well.

Other than that, I'm pleased to hear you're doing so well - and that you forgot about your knee when going through airport security. My knees always ring the alarms and I usually warn security in advance.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom