TKR Back with a question

OP
OP
J

jakeleg

Country
United States United States
Thank you @SusieShoes and @ kneeper.

I was talking to one of the RNs that I work with today. She reminded me--- "I told you that was a dumb idea to get on the NuStep". I've got to quit learning things the hard way.

Some of my nerves are coming alive on the outside of my knee. Are those the "zingers" you have mentioned?

Now I see that stressing the knee and causing it to swell means the swelling takes a lot longer to decrease. I owe my knee an apology!

sistersinhim

Country
Oh yeah. Our knees will really yell at us if we do too much. Too me, it's not worth it! The ODIC is no place I want to visit anymore!

trishb13

Country
My PT has me using the NuStep. I really like the workout I get from it. It makes my knee feel better and looser when I finish. I am currently 7 weeks post op. I use resistance on number 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That might work for you, trishb13, but it's really not a good idea to use it so early in recovery - and certainly it's too early to be using resistance.
I wouldn't advise it for most people.

sistersinhim

Country
I'm glad this is working for you, but you are very unusual. At your short time out from surgery, most TKR knees would become angry, swell up and be very painful, especially with the resistance you're using. What your knee can do doesn't mean other knees will be able to.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@trishb13 ... many times with this type of exercise, you knee will feel better and "looser" for a while. The real proof to the pudding is how it feels in the hours and next couple of days after such a workout. If you don't experience any pain or swelling afterwards, then obviously you are one of the lucky ones who can tolerate a bit more activity early on. The resistance is only part of the equation with a NuStep. There is also the speed you are going, so I'm assuming you are taking it easy and not pushing yourself to do the higher speeds. You also should ice after each session as that will help any inflammation settle down and reduce the potential for swelling.

OP
OP
J

jakeleg

Country
Well, I'm back checking on the progress of others. What I read is we are still worrying and doing the best we can wherever we are in our recovery. I feel for the people who are struggling.

I think I quit paying as much attention because I couldn't get definite answers about where I should be and when and why. I understand why I couldn't get definite answers because every knee is different.

My knee is still slightly swollen; warm to the touch (not hot anymore); very stiff at night and does not seem to be getting better. When I am in bed and awake I try to bend several times because I know it is straight once I go to sleep.

I really don't know what a fake knee is supposed to look like or feel like. That means I don't know if I'm making progress. I see my doctor on 4/16. I will be unhappy if it's like this in a month.

I do have a beautiful scar. However, with the weight I lost, I think my skirt wearing days are are over. That's disappointing, but I guess I'll get some money from the consignment shop.

The main reason I am grateful is that I really only suffered for 2 weeks before I had surgery and 2 weeks was enough. I am looking forward to not thinking about it. I am living my life as if I still had a real knee, but I haven't been able to ignore it completely. Does that day ever come?

Do any advisors have advice about the swelling? Icing helps only briefly. Once I'm up, it returns.

Thanks to all.

Mutti3

graduate
Country
I am 6 days behind you! I understand how you feel. Yes , the day will come you will forget your knee. How do I know? My husband had both knees done separately years ago. When I ask him did you feel this or that, his response”I don’t remember exactly “ I am looking forward to that day I can’t remember! Just like childbirth!

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You may just be someone for whom the swelling is lasting longer. Five months really isn’t that long in a year-long recovery. In fact, I’m not much of a sweller and I only in the last month or so (I’m ten months out now) noticed my knees are FINALLY normal in appearance. No visible swelling. But it took this long. If you are having lots of swelling, it still is most likely normal for a recovering TKR. If it’s moderate, you are definitely having normal swelling.

As for your skirts... don’t rush to consign them! Can you wear some of them with opaque tights? Leggings? It’s a good look and seasonally appropriate. I bought midi dresses and skirts for summer, though.

rubyyarn

graduate
Country
Hiya, Jakeleg!

It seems like you've improved since the last time I checked in on you. You are right, each knee is different. The hard part is the waiting until knee gets her act together!

Mutti3

graduate
Country
I guess I am lucky, I am an “ one and done” so far. No arthritis in my right knee. I don’t have an explanation.

OP
OP
J

jakeleg

Country
Back for a 6 month update. Saw my OS last week. Told him my annoyances and he said all is as it should be at 6 months. Still some inflammation, stiffness and numbness on the outside. That was encouraging, I guess. I'm still trying to be less impatient.

I have found new ways to stretch while I'm at work. I don't know about this tight quad. I guess I can finally say I'm glad I did it. I did tell the doctor I can't bear the thought of another one.

Now I'm going to read some more posts. Wishing the best to all.

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Annoyances are pretty normal still for six months out. If you’re glad you had the surgery, I hope that means you’re seeing more function, and less pain, from your new knee. Stiffness can linger for a few more months yet. I’m stiffness-free now, but I’m just about a year out from my surgery now. Looking back, six months was when my knees started feeling really good! Hoping that’s the case for you, too!

OP
OP
J

jakeleg

Country
I am back after 2 years. No real complaints or pain; nice scar, etc.
The easiest way to say this is: It feels like the skin on my knee is too tight. Crazy??
No problems with motion, steps or swelling. I even fell on it a year ago. Xray showed perfect alignment.
This weird feeling of tight skin has never left whether my leg is bent, straight or walking.
Sometimes I massage the soft area behind my knee and the feeling is better. Nerves?
Any thought on this? Thanks.

sistersinhim

Country
I bet it is nerves. I still have some strange feelings around my knee even after all this time. I don't feel tight, though, just tingling like sensations.

Pumpkln

Country
@jakeleg
Welcome back! Sorry you continue to be challenged by a tight feeling around your knee.
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Summer2020

Country
Following....….I'd like to see what answers you get. It's crazy you are still feeling this 2 years out. I have this feeling too. I wonder sometimes if he put in a knee that was too big. LOL My skin feels like its going to rip sometimes it is soooo tight. I am only 5 months out from my surgery but the tightness is driving me crazy. I can't imagine having this 2 year out.

marieltha

graduate
Country
Usually for me a tight feeling means it is time to stretch my quads. I always remember to do quad strengthening exercises, but sometimes forget the stretches. Same for me with hamstrings.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom