Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back with a question

Why is my tight knee not loosening up?
Because you're only at 3 months? Not trying to be snarky, but that stiffness/tightness does hang on even once you're pretty much back to daily activities.
 
I still have tightness at 10 months.
 
Well, of course I couldn't stand it. Had to get an opinion from a woman that I am phone friends with. She works for my doctor. She had TKR in August. He did not do her surgery but he checks on her every day. Still swelling and stiffness. Talked about what happens when she overdoes it. Ok. I don't like it , but that's how it is. I told her I adore him and want to adopt him. She said, " you'll have to get in line". Now my broken heart hurts worse then my knee!
 
Hello, from Jakeleg. I'm 16 weeks today and I've been trying to forget about knees for a while. Happy to see Robin's progress. Praying things are getting better for Christina. I continue to tell people about this wonderful site.

I'm working part time, icing and still don't know my ROM. I think my stiffness is less, my knee looks good, but I still have a long way to go. I have to admit I still worry. I re-read some of the advice from @SusieShoes. Yes, I'm still more tired than I like. I'm still more swollen, too. I see my doctor in April unless I get impatient and go in sooner.

I have not been staying more than 5 hours at my job and I ice when I remember to take it. I'd like to hear more about how long it takes for this tightness to go away. Also, I still get a puffy lump on the outside of my knee along with numbness that seems to vary at different places. Are my nerves still trying to come alive?

I work in Cardiac Rehab. Met a man who got an almost fatal bacterial infection when he got his teeth cleaned. He was in very good health prior to that. That was my reminder that I take 4 antibiotic tablets before my dental appointment next week. I hope everyone has been told to do that. His story was frightening. He had to learn to do everything . Apparently, his body almost completely shut down. He's such a miracle that he's going too speak at a cardiology event at the Reagan Library in a few months. Amazing and scary.

I've missed you all, but I needed a mental break. I couldn't continue being obsessed with my knee. Wishing the best for everyone.
 
Last edited:
@SusieShoes I have dark spots near my ankle and lower calf where there was a lot of blood pooled after my surgery. Will this go away? Thanks
 
If you mean a darker shade of skin tone —instead of, say, purple— then I would say it’s most likely normal. I have just such a darker patch on my right lower calf where I had post-op bruising. Mine hasn’t gone away yet, but I’m hopeful!
 
How/where do you change your thread titles? I see you do it frequently and I can’t find anything in my profile that will let me do it! :scratch:
 
I don’t need mine changed, I just thought it was fun the way Jakeleg’s changes a lot.

I should keep the Patellofemoral in mine for others who have the same replacement.

But thanks! :flwrysmile:
 
Just checking in to see all the new knee people.

Reading about crying and despair-- I have noticed that when I tell people about the period of crying, despair and hopelessness, most of them look at me with faces that say "I have no idea what you're talking about". These are the people who have not had a TKR.

I have stopped saying anything about pain or despair to people who have had TKRs because they usually say "Really?" Here's my conclusion:

The people who have not had a TKR don't know what to say because they truly do not know what I'm talking about. The people who say "really?" have probably forgotten. I suppose there are a few "8th wonders of the world" who had no pain or skied at 2 weeks, but I'm a bit skeptical.

So........what's my point? Bonesmart is the best place to let it all out. I cannot summon the feelings I had early on, but I can read those despairing posts here and I do remember how shocked and scared I was. It's best to tell it all on this site because you have no idea who you're helping. Remember we have "lurkers" and I was one for a short time.

If I really want a refresher, I can go back and read my entire thread. Now I know "This too shall pass". Stay on Bonesmart. It will save your sanity and you'll learn
a lot--not just about knees!

Thanks Bonesmart and wishing all the TKRs the best
 
So, so, true! I don’t know what I would have done without Bonesmart!
 
I can't say I ever had "despair" but I had plenty of moodiness and frustration. And bursts of tears of frustration. There are as many different emotional reactions during recovery as there are differences in knees. :) It's not a quick or easy proposition.
I credit my OS being up front with me about the length of recovery for helping me be prepared for the long haul. And Bonesmart for being there for all those day to day things that come up and having a place to vent with people who "get it."
 
My OS told me almost nothing about the recovery. From what I read online about partial replacements and what the OS said and didn’t say, I expected a 2-3 month recovery. I was shocked, and angry, when I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op and learned the recovery takes about a year!!! :yikes:
 
Hello
I'm at 19 weeks today. Haven't been here for a while because I've been trying to forget about my knee.

I've been reading posts and tell myself I'm on track. My knee is stiff when I bend; still have the tightness; some swelling inside and out.
Always more swelling after overdoing.

I bumped into a hard cabinet hitting it just below the kneecap. It didn't hurt and it didn't bruise. Then I remembered I don't have a real knee!

My scar is almost invisible. The PA did a great job. In leggings my legs look equal.

I have been walking at work on the track. I used to be so fit. I am starting out slowly. Yesterday walked 3/4 of a mile, 5 minutes on bike and 10 minutes
on NuStep. My knee did not like something I did. I think I might have pushed too much on the NuStep.

The lump in the side got larger and I was more stiff until this morning. I am so grateful that Bonesmart says let the knee be in charge. After reading some posts today, I am prepared to be stiff for as long as it takes.

I'm at the point where I'm glad I did it. I'm one of the lucky ones. I only had really bad pain for about 2 weeks. I'm going to try to avoid having another TKR, but if it happens, I'll be here again.

It really helps to check in here because I need to be reminded that recovery is long and sometimes slow. I'm going to walk again tomorrow and try to go longer. Then we'll see what the knee thinks about that. I have no desire to be an Olympian.
 
You're doing just fine! Great, even. At five months, I was just getting to the point where I could do more: walking more than a mile, do more than one errand without consequences (like go to the mall AND drive across town for lunch), and still be on my feet a lot at home. It kind of sneaks up on you. The knee complains... rest. The knee complains... rest. The knee... didn't complain! Then you know you've gone up a level, so to speak. But the knee is wise and will not steer you wrong.
 
@SusieShoes you have helped me a lot.

I do worry about the stiffness. My quad is very tight, but I think my bend is good. The only way I can describe the stiffness is that my skin feels tight--sort of like I have on the tightest support stocking ever made.

I talked to a nurse at work who said I put way to much resistance on the NuStep. Not going to use it again except on 0 just for stretch and bending. I walk a lot at work so I'm just going to stick with 1/2 mile on the track for a while. I tried to run a few steps and then changed my mind. Got to be patient.
 
I walk a lot at work so I'm just going to stick with 1/2 mile on the track for a while.
Why do the NuStep at all? Walking is the best exercise you can do for a recovering knee and you're already doing a lot of that. Your skin is tight because your knee is swollen. If you can't see it on the outside, the inside capsule is full of fluid. Doing the NuStep is keeping your knee inflamed and swollen. Just let your knee do your normal, daily things. Elevate and ice whenever you can and that tightness will go away.
 
@SusieShoes you have helped me a lot.

I do worry about the stiffness. My quad is very tight, but I think my bend is good. The only way I can describe the stiffness is that my skin feels tight--sort of like I have on the tightest support stocking ever made.

I talked to a nurse at work who said I put way to much resistance on the NuStep. Not going to use it again except on 0 just for stretch and bending. I walk a lot at work so I'm just going to stick with 1/2 mile on the track for a while. I tried to run a few steps and then changed my mind. Got to be patient.
I like that plan. I like the NuStep but it's probably a bit too tough on your knee right now. You might try a recumbent exercise bike (on little to no resistance) for stretching and bending.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom