Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! - What a wonderful Valentine's Day message from the assistant choreographer for Jersey Boys! Glad it really made your day. Sounds very uplifting.

How exciting that you are starting on your book! You are a wonderful writer. I hope you find a good venue/agent, etc. for it.

Good to hear your teeth are more relaxed and feeling better. Enjoy your day and your daily writing! :)
 
You have so many wonderful things happening right now! So happy for you! and, you are going to write that book...well that's a book I will definitely read!:yes!: Getting that note from the Associate choreographer of Jersey Boys must have really lifted your spirits and kept them there for a few days! We never saw the play but did see the movie when it first came out - enjoyed it immensely! We were planning to see the play but then I started having the hip issues. When all is well here with me, there will be lot's of trips into the city to see shows that have been put on hold.

Glad your tooth is feeling better. I was thinking about that. When they put the crown in, didn't they take x-rays before? That would have shown if you needed a root canal. A dentist shouldn't put a crown on without checking the roots....just wondering.:nah:

Happy days for you! Enjoy every moment!:loveshwr:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, that daily practice really adds up...and it does make it easy once you have an audience. I'm always surprised at how different it feels to audition for the creative team of Jersey Boys. They are just electric. It's always such a rush! I feel high for a few days after being around them.

I'm so glad that the slippers fit. Mine already got a huge hole in them. I was so bummed. The yarn doesn't do well if it rubs against carpeting. I'm going to have to darn them today. They sell leather soles on Knitpicks. Maybe I should have ordered those. Some people use a material like what they put on babies' footed pajamas.

@Readysetgo , Thank you for the encouragement with the writing. I love it. I'm going to get on a schedule and write daily from 1:00p.m.-3:00 p.m.

The associate choreographer is so talented. He's basically taken over the show, since the choreographer has moved on to other projects. It was a great Valentine's Day gift! Tomorrow I'm auditioning for a new show that was written by the musical director of the Vegas co. of Jersey Boys. Everyone is so connected. I've been wanting to do a comedy song for him, and that's what they are asking for tomorrow. I push myself to go, because it helps if they know who you are. It doesn't sound like I'm exactly right for this, but it's an opportunity.

@keepmovin, Yes, he x-rayed the tooth. That was the first thing he did. He said that some decay had gotten inside, because I hadn't been flossing between the teeth. I had the tooth next to it filled. It's much better now, thank you. Sometimes I think my nerves are over active. The warm salt water after meals really sped up the healing.

I just had the car washed. They do such an excellent job. Now I'm going to walk the dogs. I picked up several pine cones that were littered around the backyard. It's such a relief to be able to do that with ease. I remember when it was impossible! I'm going through my paperwork. I need to get more organized. It sure is nice to be pain free. I couldn't be happier with these new hips. He did such a precise job.

I hope everyone is having a great day, and healing those hips!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! :loveshwr: I just checked my mail and guess what arrived?? :wink: The slippers are beautiful!! And so soft!! I can't thank you enough! This is the type of gift I absolutely cherish! I literally just walked in the door from work so I haven't tried them on yet but I will try them after I take my shower tonight - I am sure they are going to be nice and cozy with my PJ's - ahhhh...:chillpill:

woot! The colors look so pretty together! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
:dancy::wowspring:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! the slippers fit perfectly....I wore them last night after I took my shower and put on my pajamas and they were so cozy and warm and so very soft. They felt so comfy after a long day at work and I can't thank you enough, they are bee-u-tiful, and your card was very sweet also. You really made my day when I opened my mail. :SUNsmile:

I think it's such a great idea that you are scheduling your writing time. I know that designating a specific time and putting something on the calendar always helps me by making something seem more like an appointment and helps ensure it gets done. Otherwise it's too easy to say "I'll do it tomorrow". Two hours a day sounds like the perfect amount of time to block off each day to work on your writing.

Count me in as another one who is very much looking forward to reading your book. :) Another thing I thought of was how professionally done your knitting is. Have you ever considered knitting some items and selling them on eBay or Amazon? People love handmade items and I bet they would sell like hotcakes. Just a thought I had because I know, like me, you try to live frugally and this might be a good source for some extra income?

I'm so glad your dental pain is gone. I agree, I do think there is a connection with the nerves and emotions and what we think & feel sometimes will manifest itself physically. I'm glad you are feeling relaxed and more at ease. It's completely understandable to have been worried about replacing the crown after just getting over the hip situation.

What a sweet message from the Jersey Boys associate choreographer! It sounds like he has a real eye for talent and that you two have a great connection. I bet it is a blast to audition for such a creative team, it sounds like you can really feel the electricity when you are around them and I bet that is an amazing feeling!

I hope your audition went great!
Hope everyone has a happy and hippy Thursday! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm so glad that the slippers arrived, and that they fit. It makes me feel good when people are wearing my hand knits. I would love to sell them on line. The problem is, I like fancy yarn, which is costly. I probably should just upload some photos, and see if I can get started. I'm looking for things that are quicker knits. I make these alpaca blankets that are very elegant, but again, the yarn alone for a throw blanket costs about $60.00. Shipping and paying myself for the time would up that price significantly, and I'm not sure how many people would be willing to spend so much money on a very nice blanket. They do last forever, though. They're extremely warm, softer than cashmere, and everybody loves them. The general rule is to charge three times your cost of materials. I've had people stop me on the street in NYC and ask me about sweaters and vests that I have made and am wearing. They can see that they are hand knit. I believe I have the skill to do it, and the passion, I just need to find the right venue.

Everything you said about the audition is exactly true. It's like falling in love. It's an exciting feeling, especially at this age! I better get ready for my call today. It's comedy, my very favorite!!!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I was wondering if you had considered selling your knitted products online. I don't know about those exact types of items, but I have purchased quilts off of etsy and they can definitely be rather spendy. They're absolutely worth it though because they aren't just functional, they are works of art...like your alpaca blankets.
You're so right that the venue is key.

I'm sending out good thoughts for your audition! :)
 
Sounds like you got a good thing going here....I say, if you have the right product, a lot of talent, the right amount of ambition, a few happy customers, then SELL it! Make some happy money!:wave:
 
Hi, I'm back. The audition went well yesterday, but I wasn't right for the part. Still, I'm very glad that I went. The pianist was the musical director from The Voice. I remember him from my last audition; he is outstanding. My comedy song is very fast and difficult to sight read. He had no problem with it. The song went well, and the director laughed very loudly on the exit. It's always nice when things work, and the audience reacts. The choreographer said to me, "We were just admiring the list of choreographers on your resume." (As a professional dancer, I worked with some of the top old choreographers in show business. I assisted a handful of them. It was an exciting time.) "Thank you," I answered. "It must have been an incredible experience to work with all of those people", she continued. My eyes filled up with tears, and I felt slammed with grief. "Yes," I agreed. I could barely keep it together, so she looked at me with compassion and concluded, "Thanks for coming in." I bolted out of there. It really hit me that with these new hips I am going to have to pave the way for a new career, since I can no longer dance like I did in the past. I sure hope I can do it. It's like a piano player having their fingers cut off, and being afraid to play with fake fingers. I am constantly nervous about doing damage to these hips. They feel great, but they are not God given. I'm not sure what is safe. I do know that what I used to do is not going to be happening. That's in my past.

The woman who sang after me was a friend that I worked with on a cruise ship almost thirty years ago. She had her knee replaced! She has been singing on Broadway. We were excited to see each other, and met for coffee. She did very well. The writer of the show had sent her the music yesterday. She knocked it out of the park. I hope she gets it. He is also the musical director for Jersey Boys in Las Vegas. It was nice to be able to sing for him again. I had always wanted to show my comedy for that team, but Jersey Boys is a play with music, not musical comedy. This gave me the opportunity. The casting people are from New York, and they are excellent. I always hope that my photo and resume will go into one of their files. They cast a lot of excellent shows, including Chicago. I am the right type for Chicago, but I can no longer dance it. That is a painful reality.

I had another nice surprise on Thursday. Pat Harrington's daughter invited me to the memorial service for him this weekend. He won three Emmy awards, and was a terrific actor/comedian. I danced with Tresa when I was seventeen. They're having it at a theater. I think it will be very exciting and moving. I am touched that she included me. Her dad didn't even know me, but I really respected his work. She said not to wear black, and that it's going to be entertaining. They have all kinds of wonderful footage of him from the Jack Parr show, One Day at a Time, etc. I am really looking forward to it.
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm so glad that the slippers fit. Everything that you wrote is exactly on the money. You have such a keen sensitivity.

@DeepBreath, I'll have to check out etsy. I forgot to put washing instructions in with the packages. I think you already know, but they need to be washed in cold, by hand, with no agitation. I roll them in a towel and then lay them flat to dry. Thanks for the good vibes for the audition.

@keepmovin, Yes, I'm going to have to set a schedule that combines all of the skills. There's a lot of daily practicing involved with auditions. The nice thing about the knitting is that I can do it when I'm waiting.

@Readysetgo, Thank you. I hope so. I have another audition today.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it makes perfect sense what you are saying about the costs involved with the knitting with the high quality yarn and everything. I wish I knew of a cost-effective way for you to market these items. The fact that people stop you and ask you about sweaters and vests you are wearing that you have made, indicates that there would probably be a market for them, but I don't know how much is too much for people to spend. Some items, like the afghans, that last forever, I think people would be willing to pay more for. And maybe at certain times of the year, like Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, people would be willing to pay a little more. Just look at how much flowers are marked up on Valentine's Day and people still buy those. Maybe a local boutique would even sell some of your knitted items. I will keep thinking ...there's got to be a way.

Sorry to hear about the audition yesterday - that had to have been difficult and emotional. I understand what you are saying about how these hips are great but they are not God given, and while they feel so much better, it is hard to know what we can and can't do. It's really tough to have to give up or slow down doing certain things that we love so much. :sad: I hope your audition today went better.

I'm glad you got to see an old friend while you were there and reconnect over coffee. I hadn't heard about Pat Harrington's passing but that is so nice that his daughter invited you to his memorial. It sounds like it will be a celebration of his life since she said not to wear black. I bet it will be a beautiful tribute to his life.
 
I'm sorry to see the one audition just wasn't meant to be, positive thoughts for this next one!:yes: You have come back strong and confident after your hip surgery! These new hips may not be God-given, which don't always come with guarantees, but they will lead you down a different path filled with new adventures! Glad to hear this last audition went well!:yes!:
 
Great post and well said @keepmovin !

Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! so glad to hear this last audition went well! I almost forgot to congratulate you on your 6 month hip anniversary! It is a big milestone and it is so encouraging to see all he progress you have made and continue to make. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @keepmovin, It was still a good audition, I just got emotional when she complimented me on the choreographers I had assisted. In retrospect, I think she understood. It's a difficult business. There's a lot of rejection, and you have to really want it. Musically, the song went perfectly.

@Hipster Girl, Thank you. Six months is huge. I'm so pleased with the healing. I went to the memorial on Sunday. It was very touching. He worked with so many big stars. They did a wonderful montage of photos with music. Ed Asner and some other actors spoke. It was very inspiring.

I hung out at the memorial with a woman from the ballet school I mentioned earlier in this thread. She also has had both of her hips replaced. It was helpful to talk with her. She is teaching, but with very modified turn out. We had a great chat. She said that I can come and watch her teach any time. I'm going to do that...it will help me. She has no pain. It's great to see people who are recovering so well. She will graduate from UCLA (at age 51) in two weeks! She got her degree in Psychology.

I've got another audition on Thursday. I'm too old for this show, but I want to sing for the conductor. He's one of the best. I've been writing every day from 1:00-3:00. It's really energizing me. It's time to go to knitting. I hope everyone here is doing well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it was a lovely memorial service @Hip Hip Hooray! What an honor to have been invited to attend. Gosh, Ed Asner is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember him from his Mary Tyler Moore days.

That is incredible that your friend is graduating at age 51 - good for her, I love to hear accomplishments like that, they are so inspirational. :yes:

Kudos to you for keeping to your writing schedule - it sounds like you are making lots of progress. I bet that's a great feeling!
Have a great evening! Sending good thoughts for Thursday's audition. :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Belated Six Month Anniversary, @Hip Hip Hooray! You've been such an inspiration to me throughout this process. Thank you for sharing your journey and the great tips on healthy eating and an organic approach to healing. :)
My heart ached when I read your account of the one audition. While I have not had that exerience, I do know how it feels to know that perhaps a new phase is on the horizon and feeling loss for former things.
You're so incredibly talented in a lot of areas. I look forward to hearing what is next for you. *Hugs*
Thank you for the washing instructions for the slippers. They are part of my 'pampering time' routine. I'll generally have a good workout, shower, and then get in my comfy clothes and the slippers. I'll then elevate and ice while watching a favorite show or movie or perhaps read. It's my strict 'me' time and I cherish it. The slippers are a decadent (and greatly appreciated) part of that. :)
 
Thanks for the posts. I went to the audition today, instead of the chorus call that was onThurs. This was a principal call for the same show. There is a character part that could be in her 40's. So, I went to that one. It was really fun. The choreographer is Kay Cole. She played Hayley Mills' roommate in The Parent Trap. She was so cute! I loved that movie. She said "Very good," after I sang and asked me "Are you still in Vegas? Or are you in LA now?" "LA", I told her. She also originated the role of Maggie In A Chorus Line on Broadway. She has worked like crazy. It was great to meet her. I love being around such talented people. I had a great connection with the pianist, too. He was really young, and he played so well.

@Hipster Girl, I hope all's well with you. I'm loving the writing. It's so energizing. I missed today, because of my audition. I hope your work search is going well.

@DeepBreath, Thank you. Your thread has really helped me, too. I think I have some grief over both the death of my mother in May, and missing my work as a professional dancer. It comes up sometimes, when I least expect it. They are sensitive artists, though. I'm sure they understand. I was fortunate to work with so many talented people.

I've been doing yoga every morning. I've also been gardening in this gorgeous weather. I'm really amazed with how well my body has healed. I even feel like I can go try a class next Thurs. The teacher danced for Bob Fosse, and she has also had both of her hips replaced. Hopefully she will be okay with the fact that I have to take it easy. I'm interested to hear how her hips are doing. I think she's had them for about twenty years...

Ta Ta for now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it's very normal for grief over the loss of a loved one to resurface when it's least expected. And combine that with missing your dance work and it's perfectly understandable that it can get to be overwhelming at times. It's great that you realize this and allow yourself to feel those emotions - that is so healthy. I know many people who do all they can to avoid feeling their feelings but then cover them up in very unhealthy ways like overeating or whatever. One of my favorite sayings is "the only way out is through" and is something I remind myself of often. When those emotions come, good or bad, it's so healthy to allow ourselves to actually feel them.

Happy to hear your writing is coming along and that your audition went well yesterday. *fingers crossed*

I've been applying for a lot of jobs the past two weeks but so far, no takers. I will update my thread.

@DeepBreath your routine sounds heavenly. Those slippers are divine, aren't they! That's interesting that you are still icing and elevating, do you find it is still helping? I have gotten so lazy about things like that but I really need to start being deliberate about making time for myself.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom