Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Oh gosh, I somehow missed the part about Lana suffering abuse. That makes me so heartsick. I don't like any creature being abused, but most especially children and animals. The evil part of me hopes there is an especially hot corner of hades for people who do things like that.
I'm so glad she has a happy, loving home with you. :) I hope her skin issue clears up soon.

I've seen the soup served in a pumpkin idea and just love it. Anything organic like that is just so homey to me.
It's good know what your dentist did regarding antibiotics. I'm hoping that when I see my OS early next month that he'll clear me to go ahead and get my teeth cleaned again. He wanted at least three months after the last surgery to elapse so things could 'settle down'.
I don't blame you at all about the irritation with the kids and the sink. I would feel the exact same way. This is surgery, not Romper Room.

I am so curious as to what is the deal with the woman you spoke to at the track. Your flexibility and ROM sounds like it is fabulous. Also, with you being a dancer, I imagine you naturally moving gracefully and smoothly.
Sometimes I think people say things just to be a bit difficult. :scratch:

I hope you are able to enjoy your knitting group today, but the gym sounds great as well. :)
Your dad is just so cool. Good for him keeping fit and so sharp. I sure hope I'm like that at 85!

Take care, Hip Hip, and have a super day. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Lana is doing better, thanks. The vet said that she had a staph and a strep infection. He wants me to have her finish the antibiotic and put betadine on the scabs. Keeping her out of the compost pile has made a huge difference. Yes, she's very appreciative of every little thing. She has so much enthusiasm and joy. It's really cute. I'm glad to hear that your son is okay. I sure feel more relaxed when everyone in the home in healthy.

My surgeon said the same thing about waiting three months for dentistry. It makes sense. The body has already been through so much trauma. My teeth have healed and I'm relieved to have the new permanent crown in place. The woman at the track is nice, but I think she was having problems with her husband that day. They were having a tense conversation. I'm very happy with my gait. I watch my shadow and the difference is amazing. I remember when I couldn't control or correct it. I'm still amazed at what this surgery can do. I can't put a price on it.

Speaking of price, @CricketHip, I finally got my reimbursement check for the surgical fee from Blue Shield. I was hoping it would be for $6,500. It was for $836.00. Oh well. I did get money back on my taxes because of having private health insurance. That with the other mix up all totaled up to about $5,000. I budgeted $20, 000. for both hips, and it ended up costing me about $15,000. If I'd chosen an in network doctor, I would have saved about $12,000. I really wanted Dr. Matta, though. It was worth it to me. No hassles, fear, or problems.

I'm cleaning house right now. My neighbor is coming over soon. I'm going to teach her to purl. She wants to knit a sweater. I've got to shower and get ready. I'm really into knitting these days. I just love it.

Take care of yourselves, hip friends!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I am so glad Lana is doing better. She sounds like such a sweet doggy. It's amazing what can trigger stuff in them. Our little Cairn never had a problem with skin issues until we moved to Germany. After that, she was a poor, itchy mess unless she was on her meds.

I agree about waiting until the trauma of surgery, and all it stirs up, has abated before going to the dentist. I'm very happy to follow my surgeon's guidelines. Keeping these new hips healthy is a big priority!

I'm glad you're happy with the improvement in your gait. That is really what is paramount. I feel the same way. Although I'm not 100% there, the difference is incredible. I realized recently, as I was carrying a cup of hot tea into the living room, how much better my stride is now. Prior to surgery, I would have spilled that tea all over myself because of my lurching gait.
Thank goodness for the ability to get these surgeries and for the progress they bring! :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I know, we are so fortunate that we had the surgery at this time in history. The whole thing still amazes me. I remember watching my grandma gimp around, and not understanding what was wrong with her. I had no idea I would follow in her footsteps. (She had both knees replaced.)

That's great that you are able to carry a cup of tea with ease now. It's those little things that I really appreciate each day. I was thinking today while walking to my car after hydrotherapy, "Isn't it nice not to be lurching and bouncing as I walk." I used to see my reflection in the windows, and I would try so hard to fix my gait. I just couldn't. Now I feel like I did when I was younger. It's easy and natural to walk.

I went to the gym this a.m. I didn't do much, just ten mins. total on the bike and elliptical, and 20 mins. on a few machines with very light weights. I ran into a lady who used to take my yoga class. We had a nice chat. We were talking about how your life completely changes when you have kids, or need a surgery.

I'm finishing up the knitting tonight, and should be able to mail things out tomorrow. I went to a new knitting group yesterday, and had a great time. One of the ladies there is a nurse. She has had both knees replaced, and she still works full time. We compared notes for a while. We were upsetting another knitter, so we stopped. I'd like to talk with her more later, in private. I asked them how my walking looks, and they said it looks perfect. (Except that I stand up really straight.) I thought that was funny. I WANT to have good posture!

Take care Everyone. Time to do my basic PT exercises and some yoga.
 
I hear you about trying to 'fix' your gait, @Hip Hip Hooray! You want so badly to just walk normally, but it's impossible with those poor, ruined hips.
I'm glad you got good feedback on your gait from the knitting group and that you enjoyed the group. The nurse sounds like a great person to talk to about joint replacement.
I'm LOLing about the 'standing up really straight' thing. I have to really remind myself to stand up straight and walk with proper posture. It's interesting because I notice people's gait now and I've realized how many people walk with their shoulders and backs slumped forward. Good posture is definitely not the important thing it once was.

Enjoy your evening!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I know, I have to constantly remind myself to sit up straight when I'm at my computer. When I was in ballet class all the time, perfect posture came naturally. Not anymore. If I'm not aware, I start to hunch.

Last night my teeth were starting to hurt. (The ones that were worked on last Friday.) It felt like some food had gotten in between them, even though I'm flossing. I started to get kind of panicky. (because of the infection possibility.) I got up and ate a clove of fresh garlic. It's a natural antibiotic, which made me feel calmer. This morning they were still irritated, so I took an ibuprofin and packed some salt in between the two teeth. Now they feel fine. If I have any more trouble, I'll go back to the dentist. I really don't want to, though. I know with my last crown it felt the same way for a while. It was sensitive at first, and then it healed. After reading about infections and hip replacements I get very nervous and anxious. It seems to accelerate the pain.

I ran the dogs on the bike this morning. Lana is doing much better. I took a bath in epsom salt and baking soda. I soaked my jaw, too. I remember that used to help with my wisdom teeth. I finished my knitting projects, and blocked the last pair of slippers. They're air drying right now. I love the colors!

I did the basic PT exercises again today. I've been doing them regularly, and they feel like the perfect routine. I'm amazed at how much they help. No wonder my surgeon told me to make them my job. I just do thirty repetitions. It's plenty. They help a lot with muscle tone, too. I'm eager to get back to Pilates, but I'm refraining.

I hope everyone else is doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that is too funny about the standing up straight comment! So many of us, myself included, have to constantly remind ourselves to practice good posture. I wouldn't worry about that comment from the lady at the track. Sounds like she probably was just grouchy from the fight with her husband and it's hard to say something nice when someone is in that frame of mind. The main thing is that you notice the difference in your gait and how it feels to walk now compared to pre-surgery. I do the same thing and look at my reflection in the office windows at work and it is a night and day difference.

I got an explanation of benefits from my insurance company this week and it said I might owe close to $12K for my second surgery, and I thought of you and your insurance headache. I contacted them and told them I met my out-of-pocket maximum with my first surgery and I had no idea who the doctor even was who was named on the EOB. It turns out she was the assistant surgeon who was out of network, so the insurance company said they would request it be waived but they can't promise anything and the out of network doctor can come after me for the money. I know this is incorrect because I confirmed with Aetna and my benefits department that the out of pocket maximum on our plan is the max period. I hope this gets cleared up quickly because it's a headache I don't need right now but we shall see.

On a happier note, I am so excited the knitting is done and will be anxiously checking my mailbox! :dancy:

You are too sweet to do this. I haven't had anything made by hand since my grandmother passed. She used to crochet and make afghans and scarves and things. I absolutely cherish anything homemade like that. :yes:

Your post reminds me I need to get back to the PT exercises this weekend. I have been extremely busy this week and have the "no time" excuse but I am paying for it and I really need to carve out the time somehow. I just have to.
Hope you are having a great weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
Oh gosh, @Hipster Girl, that is upsetting about the out of network surgeon. $12,000. is a lot of money. I hope you get that straightened out soon. It's frustrating to have that happen when you've done your homework, and checked and double checked. I'm curious what other people are paying for their surgeries. My total, after my reimbursements, came to about $15,000. That was for both hips. I paid most of the surgical fee. I guess if I'd had an in network doctor I would have paid around $3,000. Let me know what happens.

Today I will go to the P.O. and mail the hand knits. Sorry it's taken so long. I got sidetracked with my teeth. They have settled down since taking ibuprofin and rinsing with warm salt water. I have to be careful what I read. I am very suggestible.

Glad to hear you are going to do the PT exercises. I added a little bit of Pilates last night. I just did 16 leg circles on each side. I also did 8 straight leg lifts in the bathtub. No pain today. I'm going to work very gradually. The skin on my thighs looks too big for the muscles. I still have more work to do, but I'm being patient. I did yoga last night. It helps me relax and calm down. I've been a little anxious about money and my future income.

I hope everyone here is happy and healthy.
 
Let's see if I can upload a photo. There we go. That's me on the far left. This was a show with Juliet Prowse. It was part of her nightclub act. The costumes were by Bob Mackie. I'll try to find another, @CricketHip.
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear that your teeth were bothering you. I so understand that nagging fear about infection. I tell you, I think the salt thing was a great idea. I was amazed at how much warm salt water rinses helped me after having a couple of extractions this past summer. Salt is so incredibly healing.
I hope that they're feeling better now and that your mind is at ease.
I'm so happy Lana is feeling better. I'll bet she's a happy girl and loved her run with momma. :)
No kidding about those basic PT exercises. They really do make a difference.
Thank you so much for the slippers. Like Hipster, I haven't gotten anything home crafted in ages. It's a lovely gift and greatly appreciated. :)
Oh my goodness, your pictures! How neat. And the second one...Munich...one of my favorite German cities.
Gosh, you really resemble Ava Gardner in that second one. It sounds like your time working with Juliet Prowse was amazing. Thank you for sharing those.
Yay about the Pilates! Wonderful. :) I'm sorry you're experiencing anxiety about money, etc. Sending good thoughts your way.

@Hipster Girl, oh no about the insurance issue. I'm sending good thoughts that you can get that sorted out quickly. How aggravating! There always seems to be a kerfuffle when it comes to insurance, doesn't there?
That's not something you should have on your plate right now.
I hope you have some good 'me time' this weekend to help rest up from your busy weekend. Treat yourself kindly. :)
 
Hello @Hip Hip Hooray! Oh wow! What wonderful pictures,, you have led a very exciting life. With much more ahead of you with those hips! Funny thing is that I pictured you as a blonde.. go figure... don't know why, but I did. You are very beautiful.. I don't think I've ever looked that awesome in my life! Thank you for doing that.. of course now I want more.. hee hee!
I hope your teeth settle down. I have a lot of sensitivity after any dental work so I can so relate.. Salt water helps me, too! I also love sensodyne toothpaste.. it helps close the roughed up tubules of the recently worked on teeth.

About standing straight. I had 2 bad car accidents happen in my teenaged years, both cars totaled and neither at the fault of the driver of my car... the result was a very sore back and neck ( fractures of L1 and L2) so I have been very strict with myself about good posture.

I wish I had a dollar from everyone who sees me and says that they can tell that I attended catholic schools.. lol and no, I didn't! Mine was the school of "hard knocks"
I love having good posture and now that my hip is fixed my posture has really improved and back to normal.. I was beginning to lean forward from the waist..

@Hipster Girl sounds like there was a plausible reason for the insurance mix up and seriously?? Not what you want to be worrying about. Sorry to hear you are worrying and having to trouble shoot it..
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you for the compliment. I did Sugar Babies with Mickey Rooney, and Ava was the love of his life. I love old Hollywood. I mailed the slippers this morning. They will be there on Tuesday. Yay!

Glad you liked the photos, @CricketHip. You made me giggle. If you want more, I'll post a couple. I hope it doesn't look too narcissistic! It is fun to see the old photos, though. I love the wigs and costumes. It was such a fun and exciting time of my life.

Well, I just took more antibiotics, because my tooth is aching again. I should have just gone to the dentist this morning. The woman who answered the phone had a really thick accent. I couldn't understand her. When she repeated herself, I was still totally in the dark. I finally got it on the third try. It sounded chaotic and busy, and I backed out of going. I will see if I can get in first thing on Monday. I'm afraid this tooth needs a root canal, and I just replaced the crown. (at $1,600.) Hopefully I'm wrong. It feels like the time I had an abcess as a child. It also reminds me of how my wisdom tooth felt when it was infected. At least I have the antibiotics here. I'm so paranoid about my hips. I'm really emotional right now. I just hate having dental work done, but I can't continue to avoid it.

I told my dentist when I got the permanent crown that the last novacaine shot into my jaw hurt worse than my hip replacement. I told him on a scale of 1-10 it was a 20. He said that he was probably too accurate, and hit close to the nerve. I'd rather have laughing gas than go through that again. I usually do well with novacaine if I use my yoga breathing.

I'm supposed to go to an audition on Monday, but this is more important. I've got to face the music. My lesson with my hips was to stop avoiding medical care and making excuses. Some things will not get better at home.
 
What wonderful pictures @Hip Hip Hooray! thank you for sharing those! Like @CricketHip I too pictured you as a blonde for some reason but I agree with @DeepBreath about how you resemble Ava Gardner, I imagine you get told that a lot?

ugh, so sorry to hear your tooth is hurting again. Tooth pain is one of the worst but you are right, medical issues are priority - it will be a shame if you have to miss your audition on Monday but you have to do what you have to in order to take care of you. I sure hope you feel better soon!
 
Oh no @Hip Hip Hooray! so sorry to hear about the returning toothache. Does it begin hurting after eating something hot or cold?
And how is it during the night? Does it wake you?
I'm sorry you are worrying and dental procedures aren't fun.. you probably are a good candidate for a bit of the laughing gas. :(
So sorry..

Your pictures are wonderfully awesome! It's not narcissistic at all! We love seeing them,,I for one am living vicariously through your stories and remembrances.. thank you for sharing them. Of course now I want more.. :heehee:
 
P.S. I used to work in dental offices.. for many years and dental assisted too. If I were closer I would go with you and hold your hand... used to do that for patients that were fearful or in pain. It makes a big difference for them.
 
What wonderful pictures @Hip Hip Hooray! thank you for sharing those! Like @CricketHip I too pictured you as a blonde for some reason but I agree with @DeepBreath about how you resemble Ava Gardner, I imagine you get told that a lot? Thank you, @Hipster Girl. No, I've never been told that until now. It's such a compliment! I was laughing when I read that some of you visualized me as a blonde. Isn't it funny when we imagine someone one way, and in reality they look entirely different?

ugh, so sorry to hear your tooth is hurting again. Tooth pain is one of the worst but you are right, medical issues are priority - it will be a shame if you have to miss your audition on Monday but you have to do what you have to in order to take care of you. I sure hope you feel better soon!
Thank you. Fortunately, the important audition is on the 18th. I am summoning up the courage to face reality. I have a terrible pattern of not going to the dentist for ten years, and then needing painful work. I've done this three times. My teeth are in good shape now, though. I only had one small cavity at the last visit.
 
Oh no @Hip Hip Hooray! so sorry to hear about the returning toothache. Does it begin hurting after eating something hot or cold? That's what's strange. I had the crown replaced last Friday. This is the permanent one. It didn't hurt all week. I had one painful bite yesterday when eating orange bell peppers dipped in guacamole. Right now I can eat on it without pain, and it's fine with hot and cold.
And how is it during the night? Does it wake you? I've slept really well the past couple nights. Since taking the antibiotics and a motrin, the pain went away. Now that the motrin is wearing off, it's a little sore. I'll take another one before bed. I'm hoping it's that the nerve is inflamed, and that it might heal without having to remove the crown.

I'm so glad that I had ordered the antibiotics. They made a big difference. I felt so much relief after taking them. He gave me a couple of extra doses, in case I needed to come back for more work. Am seeing now that it's a good idea to have them, as hip replacement patients. If you get a toothache on the weekend, it makes a huge difference.

I'm sorry you are worrying and dental procedures aren't fun.. you probably are a good candidate for a bit of the laughing gas. :(
So sorry..

Your pictures are wonderfully awesome! It's not narcissistic at all! We love seeing them,,I for one am living vicariously through your stories and remembrances.. thank you for sharing them. Of course now I want more.. :heehee:
I'm so glad you like them. I'm very happy to share them. It was a wonderful career, living my dream. I will post more for you. Gladly...

I just did Pilates and some Russian Stretch. I didn't do too much. I want to see how my body responds. Thanks for the support, all of you. I was kind of freaking out. I'm seeing now that I need to stay focused and positive. The motrin totally knocks out the pain.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom